Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite French designed city
Washington D.C 38 36.19%
Montreal 55 52.38%
New Orleans 12 11.43%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 02:02 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Some criteria to consider

1. Downtown: Montreal
2. Walkability: Montreal/DC Tie
3. Economy: DC
4. Nightlife: Montreal/NOLA Tie
5. Bars/Restaurants: Montreal/NOLA Tie
6. Suburbs: DC
7. Weather: DC
8. Recreational activities: Montreal
9. Green Space: Montreal
10. Monuments./Museums: DC
11. Transportation Car/Public: Montreal
12. Where would you rather live?: Montreal

Montreal: 8
DC: 5
NOLA: 2
How does DC not win on bars and restaurants? The entire city's evening identity is based on Happy Hour.

And DC has 14 Michelin-starred restaurants. There aren't even Montreal or New Orleans Michelin guides.

Blue Duck Tavern
Fiola
Kinship
Komi
Masseria
Metier
Minibar
Pineapple & Pearls
Plume
Rose's Luxury
Sushi Taro
Tail Up Goat
The Dabney
The Inn at Little Washington

The city is literally in a culinary renaissance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
As a Montrealer, I would agree with all of that, you are correct in your insights.
Quebec is tied with Manitoba as the most racist province in Canada. It's certainly not the post-racial utopia that's being portrayed.

As for DC, there's poverty, yes, but Prince George's County is the largest Black majority middle-class/upper-middle class county in America, DC's mayor is African American and the Black population is thoroughly in the power structures of the region.

New Orleans is a nougat of racial equality surrounded by ruby red parishes that are racist to the bone (especially St. Tammany Parish).

And Montreal's metro area is 77% White, 7% Asian, 7% Black, 3% Hispanic. The Washington DC metro area is 46% White, 25% Black, 15% Hispanic, 10% Asian. Washington is a much more diverse place.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:10 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Quebec is tied with Manitoba as the most racist province in Canada.

I don't know how this type of "rating" can be arrived at.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
How does DC not win on bars and restaurants? The entire city's evening identity is based on Happy Hour.

And DC has 14 Michelin-starred restaurants. There aren't even Montreal or New Orleans Michelin guides.

Blue Duck Tavern
Fiola
Kinship
Komi
Masseria
Metier
Minibar
Pineapple & Pearls
Plume
Rose's Luxury
Sushi Taro
Tail Up Goat
The Dabney
The Inn at Little Washington

The city is literally in a culinary renaissance.
Michelin doesn't rank Canadian restaurants at all, so it's impossible to know which ones would merit stars if they did...

Old 07-04-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Michelin doesn't rank Canadian restaurants at all, so it's impossible to know which ones would merit stars if they did...
The fact they don't rank Canadian restaurants is because they don't think enough would qualify to merit a guide. Considering Michelin is a French company, the fact they don't think Montreal is worthy of a guide says a lot.

Washington only recently got a Michelin Guide and that's because the city had received a ton of attention in the culinary world for its restaurant scene.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't know how this type of "rating" can be arrived at.
The entire province has a history of trying to hide racism under the rug. The fact that the Quebec Legislature unanimously condemned this article, rather than agree that more could be done to prevent racism, is astounding. Instead of spending time trying to find ways to reduce ethnic discrimination, they spend time condemning press articles that say more can be done?

And Quebec's anti-Muslim veil ban would be considered a 'far-right' position in the U.S. In Washington, Virginia and Maryland, a bill like that would be scandalous and would provoke widespread condemnation.

Washington is far more economically unequal than Montreal. That is a fact.

But Washington, D.C. is far more racially diverse, racially concious and racially tolerant than Montreal.

Here are how many people voted for Trump in the core of Washington:
Alexandria city: 18% voted for Trump (160,035 people)
Arlington County: 17% voted for Trump (234,965 people)
Fairfax County: 29% voted for Trump (1,148,433 people)
Montgomery County: 19% voted for Trump (1,058,810 people)
Prince George's County: 8% voted for Trump (912,756 people)
Washington, D.C.: 4% voted for Trump (693,972 people)

4,208,971 people and Trump couldn't even get 20% of the vote here.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:38 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
The fact they don't rank Canadian restaurants is because they don't think enough would qualify to merit a guide. Considering Michelin is a French company, the fact they don't think Montreal is worthy of a guide says a lot.

Washington only recently got a Michelin Guide and that's because the city had received a ton of attention in the culinary world for its restaurant scene.
Um... You do know Montreal is constantly ranked as first or second food city in North America by most world travel guides, right? When it's listed as second, it's second only to New York. I think you are VASTLY underestimating the food scene there, which is odd considering it's one of its main tourist attractions.

Here is one of MANY articles you can find on this:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/le...taurant-scene/

Quite frankly, DC does not compare at all when it comes to the restaurant scene.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Um... You do know Montreal is constantly ranked as first or second food city in North America by most world travel guides, right? When it's listed as second, it's second only to New York. I think you are VASTLY underestimating the food scene there, which is odd considering it's one of its main tourist attractions.

Here is one of MANY articles you can find on this:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/le...taurant-scene/

Quite frankly, DC does not compare at all when it comes to the restaurant scene.
Yeah, you can find those fluff pieces about every city. Just from the same year as your article:

https://www.zagat.com/b/the-26-hotte...cities-of-2016

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/was...ty-of-the-year

And Montreal is ranked the best food city in North America by most travel guides? Really? Do you have proof of this? I'm sure if you asked most foodies what's the best food city in North America, Montreal would not be the top choice.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:

No, you're taking 2+2 and making 5.

I've eaten at restaurants in the U.S. and all over the world that are in Michelin and I can tell you there are definitely restaurants in Montreal and even maybe one or two in my own city that would make the cut if they bothered to do a guide.

It's not as prestigious as Michelin, but there is a AAA five-diamond restaurant about 10 minutes away from where I sit. I am sure it would warrant at least a wink from the people at Michelin if they cared to dine there.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:

Washington is far more economically unequal than Montreal. That is a fact.

But Washington, D.C. is far more racially diverse, racially concious and racially tolerant than Montreal.

Here are how many people voted for Trump in the core of Washington:
Alexandria city: 18% voted for Trump (160,035 people)
Arlington County: 17% voted for Trump (234,965 people)
Fairfax County: 29% voted for Trump (1,148,433 people)
Montgomery County: 19% voted for Trump (1,058,810 people)
Prince George's County: 8% voted for Trump (912,756 people)
Washington, D.C.: 4% voted for Trump (693,972 people)

4,208,971 people and Trump couldn't even get 20% of the vote here.
You gotta take the good with the bad.

I actually like DC a lot, but if I were a black guy (I am not) I still like my chances walking down the street safely in Montreal and not getting shot by either a cop, or some gangbanger (of the same race as me or any other race), over basically anywhere in the DC metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City