Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 10:15 PM

14,112 posts, read 14,074,296 times

Advertisements

I hear good things about Austin is it really better than those two big Texas big cities ? In term of transportation, jobs, vibes of the city, food etc
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 11:21 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,167,073 times
Its much smaller as a metro area, the down town has lots of new buildings but is very haphazard just not cohesive. The other two feel massive.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:22 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,319,572 times
The zeitgeist like it better.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:26 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,889,650 times
I have never been to Austin but I have heard it is more expensive than Dallas and Houston and more socially liberal.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:54 AM

7,780 posts, read 10,220,456 times
Austin is dynamic. For its size it has a tremendous young population, tech community, and an urban, vibrant and dense downtown. Last time I was there was about 3 years ago so maybe even changed more dramatically now. That's what makes Austin feel special.

But, Dallas and Houston are just much much larger and because of that, offer many more amenities and opportunities unavailable in Austin. They also offer vibrancy, urbanity, tech, young people, etc on the same or greater scale than Austin, but it is just less noticeable since it is not the primary makeup of the city. I believe this is true for both Houston and Dallas, however I am more familiar with these aspects of Dallas so I can vouch more strongly for it....but again I am pretty sure this is true of Houston as well.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:27 AM

3,236 posts, read 2,105,775 times
I've lived in all three and as far as a place to live, it's easily my least favorite of the three. Too insular and provincial, yet extremely crowded. Too many people that think that it's the end-all, be-all of places to live not just in Texas, but the United States as a whole, when it doesn't offer nearly as much as Houston or Dallas overall. Not particularly diverse politically or culturally. A preening superiority complex (which is funny to me quite honestly). The I-35 corridor through downtown Austin is probably the worst freeway corridor in the state (the 610 West Loop in Houston is close, but its a shorter distance you have to deal with the traffic).

But to visit? It's easily the best of the three. It has a lot more things for tourists to do than Houston or DFW, and the one thing it unquestionably does better than either of those two areas is live music. It also has better outdoor amenities than either.

But literally everything else, as a resident (not a visitor), I'd take Houston or Dallas for. Better food, more amenities, far more diverse (both culturally and politically) and overall both are easier places to live day-to-day.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:34 PM

345 posts, read 815,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I've lived in all three and as far as a place to live, it's easily my least favorite of the three. Too insular and provincial, yet extremely crowded. Too many people that think that it's the end-all, be-all of places to live not just in Texas, but the United States as a whole, when it doesn't offer nearly as much as Houston or Dallas overall. Not particularly diverse politically or culturally. A preening superiority complex (which is funny to me quite honestly). The I-35 corridor through downtown Austin is probably the worst freeway corridor in the state (the 610 West Loop in Houston is close, but its a shorter distance you have to deal with the traffic).

But to visit? It's easily the best of the three. It has a lot more things for tourists to do than Houston or DFW, and the one thing it unquestionably does better than either of those two areas is live music. It also has better outdoor amenities than either.

But literally everything else, as a resident (not a visitor), I'd take Houston or Dallas for. Better food, more amenities, far more diverse (both culturally and politically) and overall both are easier places to live day-to-day.
i don't think Houston has that much to offer over Austin except for jobs, cost of living, diversity, and is pretty much a boring sprawl overall. Otherwise Austin wins in festivities, music, scenery, tech, etc. i personally would prefer living in Austin because it's more interesting, if i can afford it now that is

Old 06-07-2018, 12:37 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,319,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
i don't think Houston has that much to offer over Austin except for jobs, cost of living, diversity
You had to make some pretty significant exclusions there, huh?

Last edited by Texyn; 06-07-2018 at 12:46 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 02:16 PM

3,236 posts, read 2,105,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
i don't think Houston has that much to offer over Austin except for jobs, cost of living, diversity, and is pretty much a boring sprawl overall. Otherwise Austin wins in festivities, music, scenery, tech, etc. i personally would prefer living in Austin because it's more interesting, if i can afford it now that is
Spoken like a person who has never lived in both. Completely untrue. And what is "winning in tech", and "etc" lol.

Houston has significant advantages over Austin in a lot of things, scenery and live music notwithstanding. But as a resident, scenery only goes so far. Houston offers a LOT more - professional sports, travel opportunities (via both airline options and conveniently placed consulates), food options, shopping options, employment options, living options, educational opportunities, cost of living. And the people are far more down to earth, which as a resident, has a bigger day-to-day effect than who has the prettiest hills imo.

For the most part, the same is true of Dallas. Austin is a nice town, don't get me wrong, but for me its advantages are heavily outweighed by its disadvantages when compared with the two bigger metros.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:41 PM

4,444 posts, read 4,356,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
The zeitgeist like it better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City