Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin vs Charlotte vs Raleigh
Austin 69 50.00%
Charlotte 34 24.64%
Raleigh 35 25.36%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 11:23 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times

Advertisements

Austin in a runaway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I spent the 4th of July long weekend in Raleigh. It was probably the cleanest major city I've been in.
You have a pretty loose definition of what should be considered a major city.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:44 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Austin in a runaway.
I live in NC (Raleigh/Durham) and frequently travel to Austin for business. Why am I not all that impressed? Maybe my expectations were a bit skewed by all the hype. I'd rather live in RDU, Charlotte, Houston or Dallas...count me as not impressed. Not hating on the place, but the hype about it being some order of magnitude more exciting than Raleigh or Charlotte is a bit much.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I live in NC (Raleigh/Durham) and frequently travel to Austin for business. Why am I not all that impressed? Maybe my expectations were a bit skewed by all the hype. I'd rather live in RDU, Charlotte, Houston or Dallas...count me as not impressed. Not hating on the place, but the hype about it being some order of magnitude more exciting than Raleigh or Charlotte is a bit much.
Having spent equal time in the research triangle and Austin, to me, Austin offers a far (far) more interesting and dyanmic living experience. Austin flirts with some of the things I like most about cities- Some of the edginess of Wicker Park, some of the 'it' factor of Portland, lively nightlife, GREAT music, and a fluid yet undeniable culture. I absolutely cannot say the same about Raleigh, and even less so Charlotte.

So while I state it as fact, of course it's driven by my own opinion. But, I'd guess a majority of this country would agree.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:48 PM

232 posts, read 189,446 times
Austin is THE most overrated I have ever been to. And I've been to many. Parts of it are nice and somewhat vibrant but that east side all the way from the airport is terrible. The summer weather is worse. Plus, it seems to cater only a certain demographic. RDU or Charlotte for me. Not even close.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:48 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree, I prefer clean cities with diverse economies. Raleigh provides a nice balance of scenery and neat historic areas of interest throughout the region. Raleigh is also affordable and not run down looking.
Are you gonna answer my smoking question? How many times have you been to Austin?

Old 08-16-2018, 09:03 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Are you gonna answer my smoking question? How many times have you been to Austin?
The fact is Austin blows Raleigh to smitherines. It's not even close!

From a family and coporate base, Austin is more like Charlotte. But for nightlife, food, edginess, and coolness (like music), Austin wins easily. Anyone who claims otherwise is not being honest with themselves.

That said, I DO think Austin is overhyped. Plenty of other places almost just as cool, just not as hyped, so not overrun with growth.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:22 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
That said, I DO think Austin is overhyped. Plenty of other places almost just as cool, just not as hyped, so not overrun with growth.
Exactly. The overhype, overrun growth, lack of infrastructure, one dimensional culture, overpriced housing, and diminishing black population in the city is not for me. I have to go back for a convention in December. I keep an open mind, but I don't see my mind changing.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:06 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Exactly. The overhype, overrun growth, lack of infrastructure, one dimensional culture, overpriced housing, and diminishing black population in the city is not for me. I have to go back for a convention in December. I keep an open mind, but I don't see my mind changing.
The diminishing black population in Austin is very noticeable. I was on Rainey street last year and saw ZERO blacks. I am not even lying. I saw hispanics though. Why is this? Am I missing something?

Old 08-22-2018, 05:06 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
The fact is Austin blows Raleigh to smitherines. It's not even close!

From a family and coporate base, Austin is more like Charlotte. But for nightlife, food, edginess, and coolness (like music), Austin wins easily. Anyone who claims otherwise is not being honest with themselves.

I think you're blinded by that anti-NC thang. Well, I'm a Black....don't care for Austin. Give me Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, Dallas or Houston. Both Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte are underrated in many aspects of diversity, food, nightlife, coolness, etc. I think people will stick with stereotypes to the end but when you live in these places, it's absolutely an incorrect image of what they are and have to offer.

Maybe if I were to live in Austin it might change my perspective but both RDU and Charlotte have equitable/more venues (jazz/soul), events and other things suited for what I like to do. And both Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte are located on the east coast with access to northeast corridor, mountains and beaches.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 08-22-2018 at 05:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City