Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better city?
Atlanta, GA 48 81.36%
Columbus, GA 11 18.64%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 11:27 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Yep,,, All the way
Anywhere but here, right?

Why haven't you left yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 05:17 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Anywhere but here, right?

Why haven't you left yet?

Yeah right, Trying to get my ducks in a row to move to the Big city/metropolis of Columbus, GA, land of opportunity... I think Not!!! I'm actually confused by this one. Truth be told this Thread should have never been created and I'm sure the only ones voting Columbus are the boosters and maybe those who live there... I hear crickets on this Thread for some reason.....

Last edited by oobanks; 06-14-2018 at 05:39 AM..

Old 06-14-2018, 05:32 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Well Columbus is cheaper. But Atlanta easily wins in everything else. Columbus might be better if you're looking for a laid back southern lifestyle.
Except there's Atlanta suburbs that would provide that minus the drop off in job opportunity (and everything else).

Old 06-16-2018, 07:11 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,628,273 times
just lol

Old 06-16-2018, 07:55 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,161,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
just lol
The OP doesn't like Columbus. Just look at his previous posts.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:21 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
I hate traffic so much, that I actually can think of one way living in Columbus would be better. You could live in North Columbus and have many of the same immediate amenities as many individual Atlanta suburbs, yet not have to deal with the nuisance of ATL traffic, all while still being close enough to take a day/night trip to enjoy the parts of Atlanta (like Buckhead) that Columbus doesnt offer.
It'd somewhat be like living in a suburb that doesnt have to deal with the same day-to-day hassle as the other suburbs.

Last edited by JMT; 06-18-2018 at 06:02 AM..

Old 06-18-2018, 06:26 AM

197 posts, read 204,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
I hate traffic so much, that I actually can think of one way living in Columbus would be better. You could live in North Columbus and have many of the same immediate amenities as many individual Atlanta suburbs, yet not have to deal with the nuisance of ATL traffic, all while still being close enough to take a day/night trip to enjoy the parts of Atlanta (like Buckhead) that Columbus doesnt offer.
It'd somewhat be like living in a suburb that doesnt have to deal with the same day-to-day hassle as the other suburbs.

Weren't you the guy who complained about the scene (or lack thereof) for educated blacks in small cities?

Old 06-18-2018, 11:26 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalhipster9 View Post
Weren't you the guy who complained about the scene (or lack thereof) for educated blacks in small cities?
I'm also the guy that said I hate traffic and that living in North Columbus is close enough to Atlanta that you could still drive to Atlanta for a day or night trip on the weekend. The reality of it all is, people are going to be working most of the week anyway. You can still live in a suburban atmosphere in North Columbus or North Macon and drive to Atlanta on the weekend to hang out, without having to deal with the daily hassle of Atlanta traffic.

I didnt say that was the lone, deciding, factor but it's something I'd consider. Venues are spread out all over the metro area, and Atlanta is so populated/sprawled that you could end up driving 45-50 mins anyway to get to certain other places within the metro from whatever particular suburb you live in.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 06-18-2018 at 11:38 AM..

Old 06-18-2018, 01:13 PM

197 posts, read 204,291 times
Quote:
I'm also the guy that said I hate traffic and that living in North Columbus is close enough to Atlanta that you could still drive to Atlanta for a day or night trip on the weekend. The reality of it all is, people are going to be working most of the week anyway. You can still live in a suburban atmosphere in North Columbus or North Macon and drive to Atlanta on the weekend to hang out, without having to deal with the daily hassle of Atlanta traffic.

I didnt say that was the lone, deciding, factor but it's something I'd consider. Venues are spread out all over the metro area, and Atlanta is so populated/sprawled that you could end up driving 45-50 mins anyway to get to certain other places within the metro from whatever particular suburb you live in.

If you don't have kids that need a house in the suburbs, you can easily avoid the traffic by living in an area serviced by MARTA. Many young professionals from the suburbs are moving to the city, that's why 60% of millennials age 25-34 in the City of Atlanta have bachelors degrees vs 25% in Columbus.

Last edited by lethalhipster9; 06-18-2018 at 01:22 PM..

Old 06-18-2018, 04:59 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
There's still the issue of lack of good paying job opportunities, plus the fact that it's a stagnant growth area (which retailers / restaurants tend to pass over when expanding, plus limits home value appreciation).

A lot of people I know live in Newnan and commute to Columbus for those reasons. With Newnan, besides everything you mentioned, you not only have access to both the jobs in Columbus and places like Kia, but also you get the perks of being located within a major metro area (unlike Columbus) and easy access to many of the job clusters in Atlanta (airport, downtown/midtown and even Cumberland).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City