Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Portland vs Pittsburgh
Portland 38 46.34%
Pittsburgh 44 53.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 02:34 PM

58 posts, read 54,862 times

Advertisements

Portland quite easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 02:56 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
Portland.

I’m more of a fan of their Urbanism and Architecture.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:36 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Downtown-Pittsburgh by far
Economy-Pittsburgh, both now and historically
Walkability-Close but giving it to Pittsburgh for great urban parks, central riverfront, incredible neighborhoods
Climate-I prefer Portland's climate
Scenery-Pittsburgh. Portland is beautiful, but it can't compete with Pittsburgh's dramatic vistas
Suburbs-Tie
Architecture-Pittsburgh
Bars/Restaurants-hard to say. Tie.
Transportation-Portland. Portland is maybe the top dog amongst its peers. Pittsburgh has a great system, but is not competing with MAX Rail right now.
Recreational activities-Pittsburgh for variety, makes better use of its rivers.
Affordability-Pittsburgh by a long shot. The mayor tweeted out recently a link to all the Pittsburgh city houses, most move in ready, all under $135K

Though, in many ways, these cities are very similar, I give this to Pittsburgh by a wide margin.

Portland, not unlike Austin, likes to tell you how hip and weird it is. Pittsburgh doesn't need to promote this, go there and it speaks for itself-90 distinct urban neighborhoods, Gothic skyscrapers, Warhol museum, mattress factory, Carnegie, incline rail, film and tv industry, pens, steelers, pirates...in terms of amenities/institutions, Pittsburgh is way closer to Seattle or San Francisco than Portland.
This is pretty much what I think of the comparison, too. I'd also add that Pittsburgh is a pretty idiosyncratic city and that both of these cities are pretty great.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:59 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
I'm not going to involve myself heavily in this discussion because I've never been to Portland. But on the transit question, it's important to note a higher percentage of Pittsburgh residents use transit than Portland - 17.1% versus 12.1%. Thus while you could make qualitative arguments that Portland has better transit, Pittsburgh's transit is more utilized.

Of course, there are two caveats here:

1. Portland has a higher percentage of cyclists and people working from home (although less commuters who walk) which means the percentage driving is almost the same (57.8% versus 56%)

2. Portland is over twice as big as Pittsburgh, and has captured a lot more of the suburban part of the metro. A "Pittsburgh sized" lump of the core of Portland would probably have higher transit utilization than Pittsburgh.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:56 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,428 times
Having lived in both the slight edge goes to Portland. BUT I've always said if you took Portland & put Pittsburgh's people (or well my friends anyway) in the city it'd be perfect. Portland's people can make it difficult to live there sometimes. In any case both are in my top 10.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Here's what I said on the Portland vs Denver thread. It applies to Pittsburgh too. Definitely Pittsburgh. People have their priorities straighter, and they have more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Portland has had trouble keeping its schools running. Its electorate routinely votes against water fluoridation. Denver and Colorado may have problems fully funding education, but not to that extent, and the water is fluoridated.
CNN.com - Teachers avert strike, agree to work for free - Mar. 4, 2003
https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/..._the_four.html
https://www.actionpa.org/cgi-bin/cou...unty=Allegheny

Old 06-23-2018, 01:40 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm not going to involve myself heavily in this discussion because I've never been to Portland. But on the transit question, it's important to note a higher percentage of Pittsburgh residents use transit than Portland - 17.1% versus 12.1%. Thus while you could make qualitative arguments that Portland has better transit, Pittsburgh's transit is more utilized.

Of course, there are two caveats here:

1. Portland has a higher percentage of cyclists and people working from home (although less commuters who walk) which means the percentage driving is almost the same (57.8% versus 56%)

2. Portland is over twice as big as Pittsburgh, and has captured a lot more of the suburban part of the metro. A "Pittsburgh sized" lump of the core of Portland would probably have higher transit utilization than Pittsburgh.
Good points.

Pittsburgh also had 11.1% walking commuters vs. 6.0% for Portland.

A caveat to that is that Pittsburgh seems to have way more college students especially in percentage terms. Carnegie Mellon, Pitt, and Duquesne have over 50,000 students in very central campuses (I don't know how many actually live within city limits). Portland State has 28,000 and it goes quickly down from there.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:47 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
These seem like two CD darling cities that generally do well in polls. They have some similarities but also a lot of differences. Overall which do you think is better? Here's some criteria to consider.

1. Downtown
2. Economy
3. Walkability
4. Climaate
5. Scenery
6. Suburbs
7. Architecture
8. Bars/Restaurants
9. Transportation
10. Recreational activities
11. Affordability
12. Where would you rather live?
1. Downtown - Each has its own merits. Tie
2. Economy - Pittsburgh
3. Walkability - Portland slightly.
4. Climate - Portland's milder. If you don't mind the wet it's a no brainer.
5. Scenery - Tie
6. Burbs - Portland. Suburbs in Pgh have largely the same look.
7. Neighborhoods - Pittsburgh easily takes this one.
8. Architecture - Depends on the style you like. Another tie.
9. Bars - Pittsburgh - better concentration & affordable.
10. Restaurants - Portland (unless you're talking good Pizza, which is hard to find in PDX)
11. Transportation - Portland
12. Recreation - Tie. Again depends on your focus.
13. Affordability - Pittsburgh
14. Live - Portland for the city. Pittsburgh for the people. But if you're a minority your ymmv. Generally speaking it isn't such a great place for black folks & if you're Latin you're not going to find much of a community.

Accounting for ties:

Pittsburgh - 9
Portland - 10

However, if your main concerns are COL & quality of people then Pittsburgh wins.

A few other areas you could've included are:

Galleries - Portland
Actual artists - Pittsburgh (Portland sure does like to talk about being artists/in a band/DJs/etc. though!)
Crafting - Portland, or at least it's more visible in the vibe of the city.
Craft Beer/artisanal whatever- Portland
Music - Portland
Pretentious/smug/PC - Portland
Blunt - Pittsburgh
Homeless/Street Kids - Portland
Dating - Pittsburgh if you're a college student otherwise tie.

Although I will say that if you go by the love Pittsburgh gets on CD you're likely to be disappointed, but if you're just looking for a livable & affordable place then you'll do alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Funny comparison. Someone once told me Pittsburgh is the Portland of the East, but without the ego.
Probably because they read it on the net somewhere. They aren't very similar in ethos. Even hipster types are shunned in the burgh & tucked away in a few select areas. Most cities in the East only have Portland-like neighborhoods, not entire cities that cater to hipster types. Even the cities that seem to have a higher percentage of these types don't have a Portland big feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Pittsburgh also had 11.1% walking commuters vs. 6.0% for Portland.

A caveat to that is that Pittsburgh seems to have way more college students especially in percentage terms.
Portland is twice as populated so... From a street level it's close enough to be a wash, but if you go out on a weeknight in the burgh it might be dead whereas Portland has more going on during the week.

Just under a third of Pittsburgh is college students. A lot of the nightlife is geared around them. However, with the general layout of the rivers & "mountains" it carves up the city so many areas are separated from the others (meaning you never really get that overwhelmed by college kids feeling outside of Oakland).

If you're value minded then Pittsburgh is going to win for you all day long with its amenities to cost of living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
But on the transit question, it's important to note a higher percentage of Pittsburgh residents use transit than Portland - 17.1% versus 12.1%. Thus while you could make qualitative arguments that Portland has better transit, Pittsburgh's transit is more utilized.
Portland's transit is far better than Pittsburgh's and people have this as a source of pride. Yes, Pittsburgh's is used more as part of daily life, but people are generally more car focused there.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:18 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Portland has some remarkable contrasts. It controls sprawl but within those boundaries it's very spread out, with a large areas of ok density but little above that. Office jobs are also spread out. Related to those points, it has nice transit and it's very walkable but the commute share for transit and walking are somewhere in the middle even among peer US cities, and pretty bad by the standards of bigger ones. Biking is the one area where it excels in both quality and actual use.

But I love many things about it anyway. Narrow streets (it falls short of Pittsburgh in this area though), very walkable, lots of areas with (despite density) good small-scale retail streets...

Old 06-24-2018, 03:27 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Portland has some remarkable contrasts. It controls sprawl but within those boundaries it's very spread out, with a large areas of ok density but little above that. Office jobs are also spread out. Related to those points, it has nice transit and it's very walkable but the commute share for transit and walking are somewhere in the middle even among peer US cities, and pretty bad by the standards of bigger ones. Biking is the one area where it excels in both quality and actual use.

But I love many things about it anyway. Narrow streets (it falls short of Pittsburgh in this area though), very walkable, lots of areas with (despite density) good small-scale retail streets...

You're right, on the surface these two seem fairly comparable. But on the neighborhoods level, Pittsburgh tends to be either high density or low density in many areas, while Portland is more medium throughout. Some of this is due to Pittsburgh's steep landscape and industrial heritage, and I think just being an older city where development of neighborhoods was more dense by necessity, leading to many rowhouse neighborhoods in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City