Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has better AA nightlife?
Detroit 9 25.00%
Charlotte 14 38.89%
Birmingham 2 5.56%
Oklahoma City 1 2.78%
St.Louis 5 13.89%
Jacksonville 0 0%
Memphis 5 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 06:01 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Jacksonville and Oklahoma city are not very Black oriented cities.
Well that's just not true. Jacksonville (and we all know that the city includes lots of suburbs and is about 70% of the metro area) is 1/3rd black and is known for its large black population.

Now regarding the OP and best black professional nightlife...I can't compare it to any of those other cities whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 02:35 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Jacksonville has SOME Black Nightlife, but it's not totally obsolete like OKC

Old 06-22-2018, 03:06 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Jacksonville has SOME Black Nightlife, but it's not totally obsolete like OKC
Is OKC really that bad?

Old 06-22-2018, 06:20 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
I chose Memphis because of Beale Street. None of the other cities listed have anything equivalent to it.

IMO, Detroit punches below its weight in terms of nightlife for black people (especially professionals) because it's a poorer and more working class city. It's an awesome city if you're into strip clubs though.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:13 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I chose Memphis because of Beale Street. None of the other cities listed have anything equivalent to it.

IMO, Detroit punches below its weight in terms of nightlife for black people (especially professionals) because it's a poorer and more working class city. It's an awesome city if you're into strip clubs though.
There is still a Black middle class in the city and in many places in Oakland County.

There were also some spots mentioned earlier the thread. More for the cafe heads: https://m.metrotimes.com/table-and-b...than-starbucks

More: Check Out BLAC's Round-Up of the Best Spots to Hear Live Poetry in Detroit - BLAC Detroit - April 2018

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-22-2018 at 08:39 PM..

Old 06-23-2018, 02:21 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:

Beale Street is a tourist trap. It isn't where Black professionals go to party. Now there are some other places throughout the city but it's no better than Charlotte or St. Louis.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:34 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Beale Street is a tourist trap. It isn't where Black professionals go to party. Now there are some other places throughout the city but it's no better than Charlotte or St. Louis.
I suppose to each his/her own, and I guess it depends on how one defines "nightlife."

Having to get in your car or get on transit to hop around different parts of town because all of the spots are fragmented and hidden isn't what I would consider a good time.

That said, to be clear, choosing Memphis was simply in comparison to the other cities listed. In all honesty, none of the cities in the OP's list have a nightlife for young black professionals to write home about.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:59 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There is still a Black middle class in the city and in many places in Oakland County.

There were also some spots mentioned earlier the thread. More for the cafe heads: https://m.metrotimes.com/table-and-b...than-starbucks

More: Check Out BLAC's Round-Up of the Best Spots to Hear Live Poetry in Detroit - BLAC Detroit - April 2018
More: The Griot

https://www.blackmetroeats.com/

Old 06-23-2018, 08:06 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Quote:
I suppose to each his/her own, and I guess it depends on how one defines "nightlife."

Having to get in your car or get on transit to hop around different parts of town because all of the spots are fragmented and hidden isn't what I would consider a good time.

That said, to be clear, choosing Memphis was simply in comparison to the other cities listed. In all honesty, none of the cities in the OP's list have a nightlife for young black professionals to write home about.
Birmingham's nightlife expands into areas outside of just Downtown, especially for Young Black Professionals. The nightlife in Birmingham attracts a lot of young black individuals from surrounding HBCU's (ASU, A&M, Skegee, etc.)

Old 06-23-2018, 04:33 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Birmingham's nightlife expands into areas outside of just Downtown, especially for Young Black Professionals. The nightlife in Birmingham attracts a lot of young black individuals from surrounding HBCU's (ASU, A&M, Skegee, etc.)
Yeah, surprisingly Birmingham’s crowd looks just as good as Charlotte’s, it’s really impressive for a metro that size. Thanks for the IG links.

Leave more about Birmingham if you can, I’m defintieky trying to hit Bham to check it out soon with respect to nightlife
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City