Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Portland, ME or Portland, OR better?
Portland, ME 36 57.14%
Portland, OR 27 42.86%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 05:56 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times

Advertisements

First of all, I have only visited each place once so while I have a decent impression I certainly don't think my opinion is immune to change.

Anyhow, a lot of this is going to reference personal preferences. These are two cities that I like. If you told me I had to live in one of them long term, the choice would be Oregon. It's a bigger city with far more amenities and much better Asian cuisine (which is a seriously important factor for us). Winter is more moderate and there would be more opportunities for my family. Location is also a bit better for us.

That said, Maine is the one that I really want to spend time in. I'm planning to do a few weeks in the summer there soon, and I can definitely see us spending lots of summers there in the future. Portland, ME is a place I would actually want to live on a seasonal basis. We avoid the winter weather, get to enjoy the festivities, vibrancy, and portions of lobster season. In small doses it won't feel too small. There's just something about it that makes it more of a special place to be imo.

And so, when it comes down to it, although I would rather LIVE LIVE in Portland, OR than Portland, ME, the truth is neither is a top choice. If I were going to relocate to the west coast, LA, SF, SD, Seattle, and Vancouver are all ahead of Portland for us. However, Portland, ME is actually a place that I hope and plan to "live" in temporarily/seasonally, so it should be the winner for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 06:30 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Portland OR

Old 06-22-2018, 07:04 PM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
I've not been to Portland, Ore., yet, but Oregon seems to have Issues with people who look like me, though I understand that in Portland, they're doing their best to bury that past.

I should really visit someday. Besides, I need to ride MAX.

I have, however, been to Portland, Me., and found it absolutely delightful. It's a small city that feels as lively as a city three times its size, if not more (by comparison, Manchester, N.H., is bigger but blander). I suspect the culinary scene in the Oregon city is more diverse, but lobster!

Maine's current Governor may be a kook, but I think this is a temporary affliction.

Gimme Portland, Me., please.

BTW, you all do know, do you not, that the Oregon Portland was first settled by New Englanders who gave it that name because the terrain there reminded them of the Maine one?

Old 06-22-2018, 08:22 PM

226 posts, read 257,944 times
Portland, OR!

Old 06-22-2018, 08:28 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I've not been to Portland, Ore., yet, but Oregon seems to have Issues with people who look like me, though I understand that in Portland, they're doing their best to bury that past.

I have, however, been to Portland, Me., and found it absolutely delightful. It's a small city that feels as lively as a city three times its size, if not more (by comparison, Manchester, N.H., is bigger but blander). I suspect the culinary scene in the Oregon city is more diverse, but lobster!

Maine's current Governor may be a kook, but I think this is a temporary affliction.

BTW, you all do know, do you not, that the Oregon Portland was first settled by New Englanders who gave it that name because the terrain there reminded them of the Maine one?
What race/ethnicity are you? Portland, OR may have a high %White population for a big city (although it’s significantly more diverse than Portland, ME) but there isn’t a recent history of racial discrimination/strife (that stands out more than most US cities, at least).

Old 06-22-2018, 08:37 PM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
What race/ethnicity are you? Portland, OR may have a high %White population for a big city (although it’s significantly more diverse than Portland, ME) but there isn’t a recent history of racial discrimination/strife (that stands out more than most US cities, at least).
Hence my comment about "bury[ing] the past."

Oregon tried to write racism into its state Constitution when it was admitted to the Union in 1859 - the document would have forbade black settlement in the state.

The Klan was very strong in the state too, and the city pretty much wiped out its one significant black neighborhood in a 1960s redevelopment scheme. (The city is now offering incentives to lure African-Americans back to the district, which has gentrified.)

You can probably figure out by now that I'm African-American myself.

Yeah, Maine's real white too, but I don't think it had that history behind it. Massachusetts gave it up so that my native state could enter the Union as a slave state in 1821.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:22 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,578,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
First of all, I have only visited each place once so while I have a decent impression I certainly don't think my opinion is immune to change.

Anyhow, a lot of this is going to reference personal preferences. These are two cities that I like. If you told me I had to live in one of them long term, the choice would be Oregon. It's a bigger city with far more amenities and much better Asian cuisine (which is a seriously important factor for us). Winter is more moderate and there would be more opportunities for my family. Location is also a bit better for us.

That said, Maine is the one that I really want to spend time in. I'm planning to do a few weeks in the summer there soon, and I can definitely see us spending lots of summers there in the future. Portland, ME is a place I would actually want to live on a seasonal basis. We avoid the winter weather, get to enjoy the festivities, vibrancy, and portions of lobster season. In small doses it won't feel too small. There's just something about it that makes it more of a special place to be imo.

And so, when it comes down to it, although I would rather LIVE LIVE in Portland, OR than Portland, ME, the truth is neither is a top choice. If I were going to relocate to the west coast, LA, SF, SD, Seattle, and Vancouver are all ahead of Portland for us. However, Portland, ME is actually a place that I hope and plan to "live" in temporarily/seasonally, so it should be the winner for me.

I voted for Portland Oregon

However I have never been to Portland Maine , must make it up that way soon ( bucket list)...

West Coasters will choose Portland OR...

East Coasters will chooss Portland Maine...

Old 06-23-2018, 09:40 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Quote:
Hence my comment about "bury[ing] the past."

Oregon tried to write racism into its state Constitution when it was admitted to the Union in 1859 - the document would have forbade black settlement in the state.

The Klan was very strong in the state too, and the city pretty much wiped out its one significant black neighborhood in a 1960s redevelopment scheme. (The city is now offering incentives to lure African-Americans back to the district, which has gentrified.)

You can probably figure out by now that I'm African-American myself.

Yeah, Maine's real white too, but I don't think it had that history behind it. Massachusetts gave it up so that my native state could enter the Union as a slave state in 1821.
I wasn’t actually aware of all that about Portland, OR’s past - it’s sad how much of this country has a dark history. I will say that these days Portland (the city proper at least) is a relatively welcoming and accepting place and, as I mentioned, is notably more diverse than its Maine counterpart.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:52 AM

58 posts, read 54,870 times
Quote:

Oregon is as socially liberal as it gets they don't really judge by race. In fact most of the Western US has far less of a racial obsession than the east.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:52 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,737,739 times
Quote:
That is simply not true. Here's the real reason:

Quote:
As recounted by PDXHistory.com: Portland got its name when Asa Lovejoy and Francis Pettygrove flipped a coin in 1845. Lovejoy was from Massachusetts and he wanted to name the new settlement Boston. Pettygrove was from Maine and wanted to name the new town Portland.
How did Portland get its name? (And who doesn't know the right answer?) - BlueOregon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City