Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 02:27 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
It's my understanding that metro St. Louis isn't seeing a decline in its black population as a whole. The city is, but it would appear that most are merely moving to the suburbs when they leave.

I could be wrong though.
That is what I see and read. I believe the actual msa percentage is increasing slightly while the city is remaining the same. We are not seeing the exodus like some who don't know proclaim or like our rust belt peers and Chicago.

Many Blacks are leaving north city for north county with a few trickling south into Meacham Park, Maplewood and Rock Hill I believe.

The story of St. Louis is far deeper than many forumers realise. When people reference online reading and never really get to know St Louis, I try not to respond.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 07-07-2018 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 03:56 PM

923 posts, read 664,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
That is what I see and read. I believe the actual msa percentage is increasing slightly while the city is remaining the same. We are not seeing the exodus like some who don't know proclaim or like our rust belt peers and Chicago.

Many Blacks are leaving north city for north county with a few trickling south into Meacham Park, Maplewood and Rock Hill I believe.

The story of St. Louis is far deeper than many forumers realise. When people reference online reading and never really get to know St Louis, I try not to respond.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:36 PM

Default Facts about St. Louis

City of St. Louis (310k)was at 51% Black in 2000. 48% Black in 2010. 47% Black 2018 estimates. Blacks are still the largest group but much of the statistical change is due to substantial increase in mostly Asian by 48% and other non White groups moving into the city limits increasing their share of the pie. The White population maintains at 43%

St Louis County. (1million) is 23% Black most recent estimates. In 2000 it was 19% Black.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 07-07-2018 at 10:09 PM..

Old 07-07-2018, 10:09 PM

923 posts, read 664,573 times
I wonder how many blacks moved to the St.Louis metro area?Comparatively speaking?

Old 07-07-2018, 10:22 PM

The MSA is at 18% Black as of 2010. I know it hasn't been higher than that in the past.

Just in my daily life I am meeting a lot of newcomers from of course Chicago and many boomerangs from Atlanta.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:33 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:

They're facts. Ignoring them doesn't make them untrue.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:54 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
They're facts. Ignoring them doesn't make them untrue.
They may be facts, but it doesn't mean they tell the entire story.

That said, St. Louis seems to be more like Chicago in this regard in that Blacks are bolting for the suburbs and other metro areas due to disinvestment and other longstanding issues in their neighborhoods and less like more expensive cities where gentrification is the primary culprit when it comes to Black population loss.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
They may be facts, but it doesn't mean they tell the entire story.

That said, St. Louis seems to be more like Chicago in this regard in that Blacks are bolting for the suburbs and other metro areas due to disinvestment and other longstanding issues in their neighborhoods and less like more expensive cities where gentrification is the primary culprit when it comes to Black population loss.
The biggest difference between Chicago and St. Louis is the metro St. Louis isn't loosing the Black population. Its stagnant but not loosing. The best reference online is The New Metro Minority Map by Brookings. New Orleans, Los Angeles, New York, Chicago and Detroit had the largest decrease in Black population. St Louis is noted as having a less than 50k increase. Another point of reference is basic census data showing the only jurisdiction in St. Louis msa that lost Black population is St. Louis city. Everyone else had slight gains with St. Louis county (the largest jurisdiction with 1 million people)having the largest increase by 18%.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 07-08-2018 at 06:43 PM..

Old 07-09-2018, 06:30 AM

Another thing to look at when assessing the economic vitality of the area is poverty income and unemployment.

St. Louis MSA
Median Income 59,780
Poverty Rate 11.4%
Property Value 169,200
Unemployment Rate 3.3%

Kansas City MSA
Median Income 61,385
Poverty Rate 10.9%
Property Value 173,900
Unemployment Rate 3.6%

Atlanta MSA
Median Income 62,613
Poverty Rate 13.1%
Property Value 197,700
Unemployment Rate 3.4%

They are all pretty good in their own way. Atlanta has come a long way in the past 24 months with unemployment. The poverty rate isn't good for an area that boasts itself as prosperous.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:57 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
They are all pretty good in their own way. Atlanta has come a long way in the past 24 months with unemployment. The poverty rate isn't good for an area that boasts itself as prosperous.
Actually the poverty rate isn't all that bad for a metro area with such a large Black population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City