Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte vs Baltimore
Charlotte 54 50.94%
Baltimore 52 49.06%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 11:34 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times

Advertisements

1. Downtown- Charlotte
2. Walkability- Baltimore
3. Economy- Charlotte
4. Transportation (car, and public)- Baltimore
5. Bars/Restaurants- Baltimore
6. Safety- Charlotte
7. Suburbs- Baltimore
8. Scenery- Charlotte
9. Outdoor recreation-
10. Friendliness- Baltimore
11. Climate- Baltimore
12. Architecture- Baltimore
13. Where would you rather live? Rather live in the city of Charlotte and the suburbs of Baltimore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 01:28 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
So I use to live in Baltimore, and I've visited Charlotte a lot recently. I think both cities have a lot to like. I'm wondering which is the best overall. Some criteria to consider.

1. Downtown
2. Walkability
3. Economy
4. Transportation (car, and public)
5. Bars/Resturaunts
6. Safety
7. Suburbs
8. Scenery
9. Outdoor recreation
10. Friendliness
11. Climate
12. Architecture
13. Where would you rather live?
1. Baltimore
2. Baltimore, easily
3. Charlotte
4. Baltimore - Charlotte has more meandering roads and smaller rail network
5. Baltimore
6. Charlotte - though Charlotte runs red lights like it's a sport, which to me, isn't safe
7. Tie? subjective but both have some really nice burbs
8. Baltimore
9. Baltimore - more greenspace and closer to the water
10. Too subjective
11. Charlotte
12. Baltimore
13. Baltimore being young, Charlotte gets edge with families, but both are livable

Baltimore is pretty underrated on CD. I love Charlotte and calling it one giant suburb isn't fair or accurate as there is urbanity - but it's still pretty suburban and sprawled in general. Charlotte is very new and shiny, which makes it a tad less charming imo. I like Baltimore's row houses and density and mix of old and new. I also think Baltimore has done a great job at re purposing old buildings and factories into new spaces. Charlotte would've had that too if they didn't bulldoze everything back in the day.

Never felt in danger in Bmore. The entire city is not out of Escape from NY. Being between DC, Philly/NYC, and DE beaches is a plus for trips. Charlotte is better prepped for the future, but just because Baltimore is growing slower doesn't make it automatically lesser. Charlotte is doing a good job at attracting millennials though and has become the landing place for many of my friends.

Imo both cities are doing their thing, Charlotte a little more so. Really depends on the the lifestyle that you prefer, but both are two cities I really enjoy visiting and I could settle in if I had to.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:33 PM

754 posts, read 569,693 times
1. Downtown- Baltimore
3. Economy- Charlotte, better growth, lower cost of living, and lower poverty rates
4. Transportation (car, and public)- Baltimore for public transportation, Charlotte for traffic
5. Bars/Restaurants- Depends. Baltimore for seafood, Charlotte for barbecue? Don't want to stereotype, but I think it's like this. Not sure about bars, but based on the responses probably Baltimore
6. Safety- Charlotte. Baltimore has higher crime rates
7. Suburbs- Draw. Both seem to be pretty good
8. Scenery- Charlotte. But Baltimore has the harbor and better location overall.
9. Outdoor recreation- Charlotte
10. Friendliness- Charlotte
11. Climate- Debatable, but I'll give it to Charlotte for better winters
12. Architecture- Baltimore. I'm a sucker for row houses
13. Location- Baltimore. On the coast, not far from DC.
14. Education- Charlotte for K-12, Baltimore for University
15. Where would you rather live? I like Baltimore's location and urban qualities better, but I like Charlotte's economy better. Downtown/If near one of the train stops than Baltimore. Suburb wise probably Charlotte because it has better economy/growth and traffic.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:57 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJackson814 View Post
1. Downtown- Baltimore
3. Economy- Charlotte, better growth, lower cost of living, and lower poverty rates
4. Transportation (car, and public)- Baltimore for public transportation, Charlotte for traffic
5. Bars/Restaurants- Depends. Baltimore for seafood, Charlotte for barbecue? Don't want to stereotype, but I think it's like this. Not sure about bars, but based on the responses probably Baltimore
6. Safety- Charlotte. Baltimore has higher crime rates
7. Suburbs- Draw. Both seem to be pretty good
8. Scenery- Charlotte. But Baltimore has the harbor and better location overall.
9. Outdoor recreation- Charlotte
10. Friendliness- Charlotte
11. Climate- Debatable, but I'll give it to Charlotte for better winters
12. Architecture- Baltimore. I'm a sucker for row houses
13. Location- Baltimore. On the coast, not far from DC.
14. Education- Charlotte for K-12, Baltimore for University
15. Where would you rather live? I like Baltimore's location and urban qualities better, but I like Charlotte's economy better. Downtown/If near one of the train stops than Baltimore. Suburb wise probably Charlotte because it has better economy/growth and traffic.
In a way I can see how Charlotte would take the scenery category but I don't see how it beats Baltimore for outdoor recreation. There's not a wide chasm between the two on that front, but with the harbor/Chesapeake Bay right there, Baltimore's recreational options are quite evident and within closer proximity.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:40 PM

754 posts, read 569,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In a way I can see how Charlotte would take the scenery category but I don't see how it beats Baltimore for outdoor recreation. There's not a wide chasm between the two on that front, but with the harbor/Chesapeake Bay right there, Baltimore's recreational options are quite evident and within closer proximity.
Fair enough. Even though I voted for Baltimore, I tried to be as unbiased as possible.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:34 PM

201 posts, read 219,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Baltimore easily takes the transportation category but Charlotte isn't exactly sitting still.

Charlotte is friendlier.

I agree with you that Baltimore wins the scenery category but it's not just because of the harbor; it's also due to the dense, historic cityscape that can be viewed at certain points along interstates/freeways and inside of tall buildings.
That's true, and the row houses

Old 06-26-2018, 11:34 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
I have no idea how CLT is winning this. Just shows the future of America is sunbelt. Baltimore still has so much cleaning up to do, and the crime...but Baltimore is superior in every way if you are an urban city person.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:37 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
They are different types of cities, almost like comparing apples to oranges. Charlotte has a healthy economy, nice opportunities in finance and consulting in the south for college/MBA grads who want to be in that region, and nice cost of living. I used to have relatives there, so I have been there enough to get to know the city. Coming from a much bigger city (Chicago), it's a very manageable city where you can live and drive in the city without any stress. Lots of modern apartments and condos as well. Very safe, clean, well-maintained city.

Baltimore has the harbor, which is such a unique feature of the city. A decent amount of jobs, more local in nature than the opportunities in DC. Some good restaurant options as well. I went to grad school in Baltimore, and it is definitely rougher around the edges. I had a love/hate relationship living there, but it also has a good geographical location.

2 nice cities, that probably come down to regional preferences, as to who would choose to live where.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:41 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I have no idea how CLT is winning this. Just shows the future of America is sunbelt. Baltimore still has so much cleaning up to do, and the crime...but Baltimore is superior in every way if you are an urban city person.
You just answered your own question.

I guess next you'll express your bewilderment that everyone isn't an "urban city person."

Old 06-27-2018, 05:58 PM

232 posts, read 189,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I agree that Baltimore is a urbanist's paradise as far as built environment is concerned. Baltimore is as urban as it gets! It is more urban than the majority of US cities. However, I would definately chose Charlotte over it becuase it being urban does not make up for things like high crime, blight, weather, etc.

As you mentioned, except for folks on these type of urban forums, most Americans are not looking for the "ultimate urban experience". But prefer clean, growing, modern cities that have a lot of upside economically and have decent weather with affordabilty. I think Charlotte fits that profile. Plus it's dowtown is pretty nice and offer at least some urban pleasures which is rare for a sunbelt city.

Last edited by Timothy123; 06-27-2018 at 06:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City