Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Buffalo, NY or Philadelphia,PA would u live?
Buffalo, NY 12 21.43%
Philadelphia,PA 44 78.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 07:50 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I live in Philly now but have been to Buffalo many times. Buffalo's location in New York State might meant that it is not technically a Midwestern City but culturally it has a lot more in common with people in Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin than people in NYC, Boston, Philly, and DC. This includes the accents which are pretty typical great lakes area accents. Buffalo is a small City but it punches above its weight. Has a good beer scene, decent restaurant scene and there is a good amount of civic pride.

Buffalo has some cool walkable neighborhoods like Allentown. However, I think it would be unpleasant to live in Buffalo without a car as it has poor public transportation. It only has one sparsely used "subway" line that is mostly used by UB students. Philly, by contrast, has multiple subway liens, regional riles, trolley lines and the rest of the City is covered by a pretty extensive bus system. Most neighborhoods are walkable and you can easily live without a car. I did it for 6 years and had no complaint.

The people are extremely friendly but there are not a lot of transplants which might make it difficult to meet people.

Philly wins all the of the categories that you list. It has a better and more diverse economy, significantly more culture (any way you measure it), is more fast paced, more walkable, significantly better public transportation. Buffalo may win the "after hours" category as many of the bars stay open until 4am. Buffalo also has better Junk food (love the beef on weck!). The ethnic neighborhoods in Buffalo will mostly be white ethnic; primarily Polish, Irish, and Italian. Philly has those but also has a prominent Chinatown which has Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, Buremese, Japense, and Korean populations. There are significant Cambodian and Vietnamese areas in South Philly and North Philly, Korean populations in North Philly. NE Philly has significant Russian, Polish, Mongolian, Brazilian areas as well. Neither City, however, is as cosmopolitan as places like NYC or DC.

Sorry for the steam of consciousness. I am happy to answer specific questions.
Buffalo’s Lower West Side is where you will find your SE Asian, African and other recent immigrant/refugee communities. An example of this: The West Side Bazaar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rqD...&feature=share

It is an area similar to South Philly, where it was once the center of the local Italian community, which is still there, but has a little bit of everything. Much of the city’s Hispanic/Latino community(mainly Puerto Rican) is concentrated on the West Side too.

Buffalo also has a known/visible Native American population. An example of an urban school with a significant NA student population also on its West Side: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=360585000324
https://www.buffaloschools.org/PS19

People may not also realize that there is a Region of about 9+ million people across the Niagara River from Buffalo as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Horseshoe

So, there may be more to the area than people may know.

BTW- I didn’t vote...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 08:44 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,260,177 times
Who comes up these comparisons. Let’s compare San Diego to Detroit

Old 06-28-2018, 09:16 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Who comes up these comparisons. Let’s compare San Diego to Detroit
The very first post for the OP...., and nearly 12 hrs. later not another from them.
"Things that make ya go hmm."

Old 06-28-2018, 11:23 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemontree7 View Post
which is more suitable for a young female teen studying IT,Love Tall BUILDINGS without a car?

More vibrant culture, lively, after-hours, fast paced, walkable, good transportation, economy, whats the different between those two in specific details?

I do not know what is the difference between a mid western or a east cost feel as I'm not from the US. I'm from Asia
Given what you're asking for, it's Philadelphia by a very large stretch. Buffalo is a wonderful city, but on every thing you've listed, Philadelphia is better and one of the best cities in the entirety of the US for what you're asking for. Philadelphia is a gem of a city when it comes to a lively, walkable city and its both a much larger city and a faster growing city than Buffalo. It's much easier to live in Philadelphia without a car because it's so dense and easily walkable and at the same time has much better public transportation. That contributes to it being more vibrant, lively, and faster-paced. It has much taller buildings than Buffalo as well.

One thing to ask is if you're studying within the city of Philadelphia itself or if you're going to a college further out in the Philadelphia area. If it's between going to school in the suburbs of Philadelphia and going to the University of Buffalo within the city itself, then you might have a closer competition.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:43 AM

821 posts, read 760,067 times
Yeah, I love Buffalo but it really isn't a competition. It is like comparing Buffalo to Erie, PA. Buffalo has a lot to offer, but Philadelphia has all of it and more.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:07 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Buffalo has the better beef based Regional sandwich

Old 06-29-2018, 05:22 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
First of all, while I'm sure you know Philadelphia is an East Coast city, Buffalo's not a Midwestern one either.

Traditionally, the Midwest begins at the Ohio state line; culturally, some of it seeps into Western Pennsylvania.

But I'll second Sammy215267 here: there's really no contest between these two cities. On all the criteria you list, Philadelphia wins hands down.

If you want all of those things plus a location in the American Midwest, your only choice is Chicago.
Culturally, some of the ''east'' seeps into Eastern Ohio.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:25 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemontree7 View Post
which is more suitable for a young female teen studying IT,Love Tall BUILDINGS without a car?

More vibrant culture, lively, after-hours, fast paced, walkable, good transportation, economy, whats the different between those two in specific details?

I do not know what is the difference between a mid western or a east cost feel as I'm not from the US. I'm from Asia
Visit both cities; decide for yourself. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:46 AM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Given what you're asking for, it's Philadelphia by a very large stretch. Buffalo is a wonderful city, but on every thing you've listed, Philadelphia is better and one of the best cities in the entirety of the US for what you're asking for. Philadelphia is a gem of a city when it comes to a lively, walkable city and its both a much larger city and a faster growing city than Buffalo. It's much easier to live in Philadelphia without a car because it's so dense and easily walkable and at the same time has much better public transportation. That contributes to it being more vibrant, lively, and faster-paced. It has much taller buildings than Buffalo as well.

One thing to ask is if you're studying within the city of Philadelphia itself or if you're going to a college further out in the Philadelphia area. If it's between going to school in the suburbs of Philadelphia and going to the University of Buffalo within the city itself, then you might have a closer competition.
UB is barely within city limits and its North Campus is in Amherst. I’d say if it is between Canisius or Buffalo State(in the Elmwood Village neighborhood) and say maybe Villanova or West Chester State in terms of an urban versus suburban/satellite city campus, that would be more in line with what you are referring to in the last portion.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:24 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,260,177 times
Erie to buffalo that is funny as hell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City