Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 06:55 PM

20 posts, read 27,729 times

Advertisements

All,

I have a chance of getting an offer for employment as a Senior Software Engineer with a Fortune 500 company in the San Francisco area but at this point I am not sure what is a comfortable salary for self and spouse to live there. I currently reside in Houston, TX.

I want to rent a 2 bed 2 bath apartment at a safe good area (would need inputs on a good neighborhood too) with travel to downtown and back for work.

Could someone give me an idea of how much would be a comfortable yearly salary to live in the San Francisco area for two adults and a kid? with say some idea on monthly expenses for apartment rent, travel, groceries, gas, utilities etc. etc.

From what i read on the internet, SFO seems to be a very expensive place to live.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 07:11 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhou10 View Post
All,

I have a chance of getting an offer for employment as a Senior Software Engineer with a Fortune 500 company in the San Francisco area but at this point I am not sure what is a comfortable salary for self and spouse to live there. I currently reside in Houston, TX.

I want to rent a 2 bed 2 bath apartment at a safe good area (would need inputs on a good neighborhood too) with travel to downtown and back for work.

Could someone give me an idea of how much would be a comfortable yearly salary to live in the San Francisco area for two adults and a kid? with say some idea on monthly expenses for apartment rent, travel, groceries, gas, utilities etc. etc.

From what i read on the internet, SFO seems to be a very expensive place to live.

TIA

A few questions:
1. What is your monthly budget for housing?
2. Where will the 2 adults be working?
3. Will you be requiring K-12 schools?

Old 06-30-2018, 07:19 PM

Hello @18Montclair,

I am yet to discuss numbers with my potential employer. Any inputs from this forum will help. Hence not sure what to budget for housing

Initially it will be just one adult working in the San Francisco downtown area.

We will not be requiring schools for now but do anticipate our kid going to school in a few years.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:44 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Hello @18Montclair,

I am yet to discuss numbers with my potential employer. Any inputs from this forum will help. Hence not sure what to budget for housing

Initially it will be just one adult working in the San Francisco downtown area.

We will not be requiring schools for now but do anticipate our kid going to school in a few years.
Sorry for the late response, I just got in.

Budget really matters here because it can mean the difference between living in The City or outside and that affects your commute.

Since you have a child, In the city Id look at Noe Valley, Bernal Heights, the Inner Sunset, Ashbury Heights, Cole Valley and Glen Park. There are actually many more family neighborhoods but here's a start. Your budget should begin at $3000 a month for 2 bdrms and like pray.

Another consideration that might not matter much in other places is your values, more specifically the sort of values you dont mind your child being exposed to.

Those neighborhoods are great family areas but SF is a worldly, cosmopolitan, urban and very open environment and some parents might be a little less inclined to have their impressionable kids around certain things-I can respect that as a parent who also happens to be gay.

In SF you cant be sure that once you turn a corner, everybody's going to be fully dressed and/or sane and/or unaffected by some vice. That's just city life.

If you dont mind that and think your child's world view can only be enhanced by exposure to the rawest elements of city life, then welcome.

Not that its like that 100% of the time, but in SF you just never know, seriously.

It's part of what I love about the city, SF is take me as I am and you are safe to be you as you wish to be...

Anyhow its 12:44 and Im blathering on. Good night.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sorry for the late response, I just got in.

Budget really matters here because it can mean the difference between living in The City or outside and that affects your commute.

Since you have a child, In the city Id look at Noe Valley, Bernal Heights, the Inner Sunset, Ashbury Heights, Cole Valley and Glen Park. There are actually many more family neighborhoods but here's a start. Your budget should begin at $3000 a month for 2 bdrms and like pray.

Another consideration that might not matter much in other places is your values, more specifically the sort of values you dont mind your child being exposed to.

Those neighborhoods are great family areas but SF is a worldly, cosmopolitan, urban and very open environment and some parents might be a little less inclined to have their impressionable kids around certain things-I can respect that as a parent who also happens to be gay.

In SF you cant be sure that once you turn a corner, everybody's going to be fully dressed and/or sane and/or unaffected by some vice. That's just city life.

If you dont mind that and think your child's world view can only be enhanced by exposure to the rawest elements of city life, then welcome.

Not that its like that 100% of the time, but in SF you just never know, seriously.

It's part of what I love about the city, SF is take me as I am and you are safe to be you as you wish to be...

Anyhow its 12:44 and Im blathering on. Good night.
@18Montclair Really appreciate. You definitely gave a great initial insight. Now if I eventually get say around 10k to 12k a month after taxes, would that be comfortable for us as a family to live in SFO? I know gas prices, grocery prices etc etc are all on the higher side there. Any thoughts you can share?

Old 07-01-2018, 10:28 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
You'll probably get much better answers if you post in the San Francisco forum.

I don't know the intricacies of SF super well but I would make the move at $10k net per month.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
You'll probably get much better answers if you post in the San Francisco forum.

I don't know the intricacies of SF super well but I would make the move at $10k net per month.
Thank you @projectmaximus. As suggested I have posted a thread in the San Francisco forum.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:43 AM

345 posts, read 809,886 times
unless it's over $110,000 salary, I wouldn't move. San Fran has always been overpriced and is a millionaire's playground.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
unless it's over $110,000 salary, I wouldn't move. San Fran has always been overpriced and is a millionaire's playground.
I hear you need atleast 300K salary per year to rent a place and live comfortably in San Fran. Did you quote 110K by mistake?

Old 07-03-2018, 10:21 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
I hear you need atleast 300K salary per year to rent a place and live comfortably in San Fran. Did you quote 110K by mistake?
I think 110 can work if you're willing to live far from the city. Really far if you have a family. If you're single, I think 110 can work in any city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City