Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 10:44 AM

18 posts, read 15,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You failed to mention the diversity that exists within Miami's Black population which consists of African Americans and Caribbeans/Black Hispanics. Seems like this would tilt diversity in Miami's favor.
Very True. I regret the omission. Copied below are the most common ancestries reported in Miami-Dade county as of the 2010 census. My guess is that when the 2020 census completes we will a see a slight decrease in the percentage of Cuban ancestry and and increase in central and south American ancestry as well as caribbean ancestry, particularly Venezuelan, Colombian, Brazilian, Haitian, Puerto Rican, Nicaraguan and Honduran.

34.3% Cuban
4.6% Colombian
4.5% Haitian
4.2% Nicaraguan
3.7% Puerto Rican
3.4% American
2.3% Dominican
2.3% German
2.2% Italian
2.2% Honduran
2.1% Mexican
1.9% Venezuelan
1.8% Irish
1.6% Peruvian
1.5% English
1.4% Jamaican
1.1% Argentine
1.0% Russian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 08:22 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,924,658 times
San Jose got this one over Miami

Old 08-14-2018, 08:57 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
1. Population: Idk what this means, but I prefer the people of Miami and its culture and the compactness of the city and region.
2. Economy: SJ has the better economy, but as someone else mentioned, unless you're in tech, good luck affording the city. The economy is good for tech workers, nobody else, because those people still lag in income and can't afford to comfortably live.
3. Diversity: Tie. Visual diversity is not everything. The diversity within the Latino community is unreal in Miami. And the city's Eastern European and Jewish population is prominent as well. But SJ does have the East/South/Southeast Asian diversity that Miami does not. So if you're looking for diversity that includes a lot of people from Asia, SJ is better. If you like the diversity of Eastern European, Jewish, and Latin cultures, Miami is better.
4. Downtown: Miami. If you go to Google Maps and search "Downtown Miami," watch what shows up. That outlined area is far better than downtown SJ.
5. Scenery: Tie. SJ is you prefer mountains. Miami if you prefer water. I prefer the blue waters of Miami. And someone else mentioned SJ being on the bay. Really? No. If you know SJ, you know it's not considered a real "bay front" location.
6. Transportation: Miami. SJ has Caltrain access to SF which is a huge bonus as it connects to such a prominent city. It does have a light rail, but it's meh. But Miami has the better airport, a real heavy rail system, a commuter train system, and a good bus system.
7. Shopping: Miami. It's a well-known shopping destination for the wealthy of Latin America and others around the world.
8. Weather: Tie. Subjective. If you prefer warm, tropical weather then Miami. I don't love either. Miami seems like it would be too hot year round, but SJ I think I'd miss the warm nights of the east coast.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:29 AM

17,150 posts, read 15,366,765 times
I'm seeing several comments about the "Miami skyline," "look at it on Googlemaps," etc.

So it has a bunch of tall condos... Does that really make its downtown better? At street level, the vast majority of it is dead/barren.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:34 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
It might be dead/barren to you if you are cherry picking and exclude Brickell (would be like excluding the UES, Village and/or Battery Park from Manhattan), the AA Arena, Perez Art Museum, Adrienne Arscht Performing Arts Center, Bayside Marketplace, and Frost Science Museum—not to mention it’s direct bayfront location....as for the skyline, many who live on Miami Beach—and pay a premium price—opt for a view facing the Miami skyline vs the ocean, along with the view of the turquoise bay. Remind me what water views one gets from San Jose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I'm seeing several comments about the "Miami skyline," "look at it on Googlemaps," etc.

So it has a bunch of tall condos... Does that really make its downtown better? At street level, the vast majority of it is dead/barren.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
It might be dead/barren to you if you are cherry picking and exclude Brickell (would be like excluding the UES, Village and/or Battery Park from Manhattan), the AA Arena, Perez Art Museum, Adrienne Arscht Performing Arts Center, Bayside Marketplace, and Frost Science Museum—not to mention it’s direct bayfront location....as for the skyline, many who live on Miami Beach—and pay a premium price—opt for a view facing the Miami skyline vs the ocean, along with the view of the turquoise bay. Remind me what water views one gets from San Jose.
CBD of Miami sucks in comparison with SJ. Brickell was never part of the main downtown core. So San Jose has this one. Downtown SJ has Tech Museum, Museum of Art, Children Museum, many, performing art centers, many theaters. gallery district, several public markets, much denser not just in high rises but mid rises, too, and St university. It's so much better and nicer than Dt. Miami in a big way. There's a lot more things in Dt SJ and everyone, who has been to both, will be able see that.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
1. Population: Idk what this means, but I prefer the people of Miami and its culture and the compactness of the city and region.
2. Economy: SJ has the better economy, but as someone else mentioned, unless you're in tech, good luck affording the city. The economy is good for tech workers, nobody else, because those people still lag in income and can't afford to comfortably live.
3. Diversity: Tie. Visual diversity is not everything. The diversity within the Latino community is unreal in Miami. And the city's Eastern European and Jewish population is prominent as well. But SJ does have the East/South/Southeast Asian diversity that Miami does not. So if you're looking for diversity that includes a lot of people from Asia, SJ is better. If you like the diversity of Eastern European, Jewish, and Latin cultures, Miami is better.
4. Downtown: Miami. If you go to Google Maps and search "Downtown Miami," watch what shows up. That outlined area is far better than downtown SJ.
5. Scenery: Tie. SJ is you prefer mountains. Miami if you prefer water. I prefer the blue waters of Miami. And someone else mentioned SJ being on the bay. Really? No. If you know SJ, you know it's not considered a real "bay front" location.
6. Transportation: Miami. SJ has Caltrain access to SF which is a huge bonus as it connects to such a prominent city. It does have a light rail, but it's meh. But Miami has the better airport, a real heavy rail system, a commuter train system, and a good bus system.
7. Shopping: Miami. It's a well-known shopping destination for the wealthy of Latin America and others around the world.
8. Weather: Tie. Subjective. If you prefer warm, tropical weather then Miami. I don't love either. Miami seems like it would be too hot year round, but SJ I think I'd miss the warm nights of the east coast.
SJ has Bart. You neglect to mention that. It's finished and currently going through testing. Should be open soon. Haven't you been paying attention to weather report? low temps in the 60's to low 70's. Valley Fair/Santana Row and Stanford cream Bal Harbor and South Beach shopping. Nice try to sugar coat Miami into being a better city.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:42 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
SJ has Bart. You neglect to mention that. It's finished and currently going through testing. Should be open soon. Haven't you been paying attention to weather report? low temps in the 60's to low 70's. Valley Fair/Santana Row and Stanford cream Bal Harbor and South Beach shopping. Nice try to sugar coat Miami into being a better city.
Ok I'll give concede that BART opening in SJ will be a game changer for sure. Then I'll change that to a tie, because Miami has the better airport and good transit within the city.

Low temps in the 60s and low 70s is not like low temps in the upper 70s/low 80s. Those temperatures make for the best summer nights spent outside. Some people don't like the warm nights, but a lot of people do, including me.

As for shopping, here ya go:

Miami and West Palm both on here
https://travel.usnews.com/rankings/b...ng-in-the-usa/

https://www.travelandleisure.com/wor...#miami-florida

Palm Beach
https://www.cntraveler.com/galleries...-united-states

San Jose is not mentioned on any of those.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:44 AM

17,150 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I'm not excluding Brickell. Brickell is fine, but it's small. Outside of that small area, there isn't much at all.

I agree with you that the views are stunning however.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:48 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
Glorified office park was how someone described SJ earlier and I have to agree...being inland, as SJ is, rules out water activities/boating, which is right outside our front doors here in Brickell and the rest of downtown ...last call at 1:30–I stayed out later in high school...not as good a restaurant scene, more homeless, far fewer and far less attractive women, 1970’s Koll style architecture, 40 minutes plus away from a decent beach you can sunbathe at and go in the water 4-5 months of the year (vs year round and only 15-20 minutes away) just makes San Jose less appealing to me. But to each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
CBD of Miami sucks in comparison with SJ. Brickell was never part of the main downtown core. So San Jose has this one. Downtown SJ has Tech Museum, Museum of Art, Children Museum, many, performing art centers, many theaters. gallery district, several public markets, much denser not just in high rises but mid rises, too, and St university. It's so much better and nicer than Dt. Miami in a big way. There's a lot more things in Dt SJ and everyone, who has been to both, will be able see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City