Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city offers more for young male?
Roanoke 4 13.79%
Alpharetta 25 86.21%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 03:11 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,980 times

Advertisements

Before answering, a family member of mine wants to move to either Roswell or Alpharetta, but probably Alpharetta since he doesn’t want to deal too much with Atlanta proper. Just Alpharetta and maybe the city next to it if necessary. He’s moving from VA and wants to know the difference between the two. I barely go to Alpharetta, so I have no clue how to day to day life is there... especially if you stick to that area alone.

Progressive culture
Nightlife
Jobs
Downtown
Singles scene
Least Cliquish
Dinning options
Events

I think Roanoke doubles Alpharetta in size, but I’m sure Alpharetta is built up to serve overlap from close areas like John’s Creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 07:52 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Alpharetta simply because it's a suburb of Atlanta which is a great place for a young single guy. I'm not familiar with Roanoke, but isn't it in the middle of nowhere? But nice to visit being near the mountains. Is it anything like Asheville, NC?

Old 07-05-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Alpharetta simply because it's a suburb of Atlanta which is a great place for a young single guy. I'm not familiar with Roanoke, but isn't it in the middle of nowhere? But nice to visit being near the mountains. Is it anything like Asheville, NC?
It’s like a city in West Va/Southwest Va.I’ve only been a few times.

Also, Alpharetta shouldn’t win just because it has Atlanta, slice Atlanta way. He’ll be largely confined to Alpharetta proper. He’s not a big city boy.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:01 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
It’s like a city in West Va/Southwest Va.I’ve only been a few times.

Also, Alpharetta shouldn’t win just because it has Atlanta, slice Atlanta way. He’ll be largely confined to Alpharetta proper. He’s not a big city boy.
Then he should probably stick with Roanoke. Alpharetta may be totally suburban, but it is much more fast-paced and 'Big City' feeling.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Then he should probably stick with Roanoke. Alpharetta may be totally suburban, but it is much more fast-paced and 'Big City' feeling.
Not a downtown Atlanta big city boy, Alpharetta is not that fast. Avalon is its fastest area in my experience . He definitely wants to be around more progressive people, nice restaraunts and bars. Just doesn’t want intown.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:14 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Personally, as a young black male professional myself, I enjoy having the conveniences of being in a major metro area, so I could never see myself living in a small city, especially an isolated place in Appalachia like Roanoke.

I'm not necessarily a party goer, but it's nice being in an area with Fiber internet, Amazon same-day shipping, easy access to sporting/cultural events or concerts, higher-end restaurants/retailers, etc.

That said, everyone has different tastes. If the OP's friend sees proximity to a big city like Atlanta as more of a nuisance than a perk, then maybe a sleepy/slower paced town like Roanoke would be a bettet fit for them.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Personally, as a young black male professional myself, I enjoy having the conveniences of being in a major metro area, so I could never see myself living in a small city, especially an isolated place in Appalachia like Roanoke.

I'm not necessarily a party goer, but it's nice being in an area with Fiber internet, Amazon same-day shipping, easy access to sporting/cultural events or concerts, higher-end restaurants/retailers, etc.

That said, everyone has different tastes. If the OP's friend sees proximity to a big city like Atlanta as more of a nuisance than a perk, then maybe a sleepy/slower paced town like Roanoke would be a bettet fit for them.
No, that’s my point, he’s a young black male who wants a little more, but doesn’t want to live on the southside where I live or in the CBDs. Alpharetta is like 30 Miles Out, you can receive benefits of it being a burb of Atlanta, without living like you are on peachtree. I know plenty of people who stay deep in the burbs for this reason.

Can anyone tell me why Alpharetta would be a culture shock without referencing things that largely based on the city of Atlanta itself. I think Alpharetta is a comfortable transition, just too pricey.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:31 AM

And Roanoke isn’t that sleepy, I will grant it is isolated. But there are nearly 300k ppl there.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:18 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Alpharetta/north Fulton is pretty family-oriented and I simply don't see how he could stay confined to Alpharetta itself if he wanted a singles scene. I'd say he would at least have to travel down to Sandy Springs for that.

Maybe he should consider Athens instead.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:33 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
Where in VA is he moving from? Is he coming from Roanoke? What type of area is he in? That would give us a better way to answer this. If he doesn't want to be in Alpharetta, Dunwoody/Sandy Springs may be a better fit. It's close enough to enjoy the big city amenities without having to be in Atlanta proper itself and Alpharetta isn't that far of a drive north. It's too conservative and family oriented for what he's looking for. Also, how often does he go to DC? Because if he's using DC as a barometer as to what he considers a "Big City," DC is much faster-paced than ATL.

He could also consider Roswell or Peachtree Corners, but traffic-wise, that may be a bit much.

Has he considered Charlotte or Raleigh? Smaller cities/metro areas than ATL, but big enough to find what he's looking for...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City