Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 07:59 AM

18 posts, read 17,469 times

Advertisements

How do the Boise winter inversions, where there is absolutely no break in the cloud cover for a few weeks, compare to Pacific Northwest (Seattle, Portland etc) winters?

I'm considering moving to the PNW, but the one thing that's been keeping me from there is the reputation for gloomy, six-month long winters. I have SAD, but if there was even just a momentary break in the clouds during the day, I think I could handle it. The Boise winter inversions drive me nuts, but they fortunately only last a week or two. But if PNW winters were like 6-month inversions, I couldn't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 08:00 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Boise has less rain but the PNW is milder. I'm not sure what the big deal about inversions is. The smog is nothing compared to L.A.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:50 AM

I don't care about rain so much, I really like rain actually. It's the constant cloud cover that concerns me. If it rained and then the clouds cleared right after, that'd be fine. I don't know how LA is, but Boise inversions are dark, there is no break in the cloud cover at all for a few weeks.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:24 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassypint View Post
I don't care about rain so much, I really like rain actually. It's the constant cloud cover that concerns me. If it rained and then the clouds cleared right after, that'd be fine. I don't know how LA is, but Boise inversions are dark, there is no break in the cloud cover at all for a few weeks.
I mean the PNW is cloudy 90$ of the time in the winter. Overall Boise has more sunny days from November to March.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I mean the PNW is cloudy 90$ of the time in the winter. Overall Boise has more sunny days from November to March.
So in the PNW the clouds basically never break, the whole winter? Damn, that's really disappointing .

Old 07-09-2018, 02:07 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassypint View Post
So in the PNW the clouds basically never break, the whole winter? Damn, that's really disappointing .
They break, but not often, you can go weeks at a time not seeing the sun. Also when ever a cold front comes in it's usually sunny, so there will be times where you will have two weeks of frosty and sunny weather in the middle of winter. The problem though is it's not just winter, but late fall and early spring that is also cloudy.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:14 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Percent sunshine

month | Boise | Portland | Seattle

Sep | 81% | 63% | 59%
Oct | 70% | 45% | 42%
Nov | 41% | 28% | 26%
Dec | 38% | 23% | 20%
Jan | 38% | 30% | 25%
Feb | 52% | 40% | 38%
Mar | 64% | 52% | 48%
Apr | 70% | 54% | 51%
May | 74% | 60% | 54%

Old 07-09-2018, 04:29 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
There are some exaggerations posted here. Seattle rarely goes "weeks at a time" without sunshine, even in mid-winter. That said, is it one of the cloudiest cities in the US on an annual basis? Yes. But places like Portland, OR, Cleveland, OH, and Pittsburgh, PA are all statistically close with overall cloudiness.

As for rainfall, true that Seattle's annual falls slowly over more days, but everyone knows that Seattle is not anywhere near the rainiest by total precipitation annually.

https://www.livescience.com/1558-stu...st-cities.html

Old 07-09-2018, 05:18 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
There are some exaggerations posted here. Seattle rarely goes "weeks at a time" without sunshine, even in mid-winter. That said, is it one of the cloudiest cities in the US on an annual basis? Yes. But places like Portland, OR, Cleveland, OH, and Pittsburgh, PA are all statistically close with overall cloudiness.

As for rainfall, true that Seattle's annual falls slowly over more days, but everyone knows that Seattle is not anywhere near the rainiest by total precipitation annually.

https://www.livescience.com/1558-stu...st-cities.html
I think that it's pretty over exaggerated as well based on what I've heard from friends from my hometown (Syracuse NY) who have relocated to the Seattle area.

Now Seattle isn't part of the Sunbelt but my friends who moved there were surprised to find out that it's sunnier than they thought--it's sunnier than Syracuse (okay maybe not saying a lot there). It doesn't stay cloudy for weeks and Seattle actually gets LESS rain than my current city. It also is sunnier than Buffalo and my current city.

The rainfall in Seattle tends to be lighter and is more seasonal than in the South or East; it's pretty much a given that it's going to rain 3-5 inches a month here.

I personally love a cloudy climate but I know it isn't for everyone.

Still based on accounts from people I know, Seattle's reputation as a constantly cloudy/rainy place seems to be exaggerated.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:25 AM

71 posts, read 71,797 times
I get SAD in the Seattle "winters". That's in quotes because it goes from October-June. Yes there are sunny days in there, but when you get to Nov-Feb, it's not that many. I was actually looking at Boise as my next location since I'm looking at finding a sunnier place to live. I personally wouldn't move to the PNW if you are not liking the 1-2 week inversion. As others said, it's not the rain that will get you. But most definitely the overcast grey skies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City