Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Portland vs Chicago
Chicago 54 72.00%
Portland 21 28.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 09:50 PM

31 posts, read 38,514 times

Advertisements

Cost of living seems in these two cities seem to be nearly identical these days, as cost of housing in Portland has gone up over 40% the last 6 years! I am curious what others on this forum thinks is a better value in 2018. Where would you rather live?

Factors to consider are:
Career opportunities
public tranportation
nightlife
cultural amenities
walkability
cleanliness
weather
crime
cultural diversity
architecture
dining scene
friendliness
progressive thinking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 03:42 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
Chicago mops the floor with Portland. But it's midwestern location, weather, corruption, and crime rate make it much less attractive than Portland IMO.

Portland is just more pleasant and easy going.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:09 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Chicago.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:01 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
I've read some articles recently, wherein it's indicted that Portland's downtown area has many problems. I lived in Chicago for years, and was never impacted by crime. Chicago's downtown......as Wizard said, mops the floor with Portland. Please don't try to minimize what I read about Portland's downtown problems, they're real. Also, in Chicago, you're very unlikely to be impacted by the crime, unless you are involved in gang activity, drug activity, and live in parts of the city where you know you shouldn't.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:14 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,196 times
Yeah, I think given the criteria it is a pretty easy sweep. I think a way to make the two more competitive would be a "livability" comparison using criteria where the two are more competitive (i.e. activities both urban and outdoors, scenery, etc.)

Career opportunities: Chicago
public tranportation: Chicago
nightlife: Chicago
cultural amenities: Chicago
walkability: Chicago, although Portland packs a pretty big punch in many of its neighborhoods
cleanliness: Portland
weather: Subjective to taste; I've heard particularly bad things about Chicago winters, but I'll still take Chicago's four seasons
crime: Portland
cultural diversity: Chicago
architecture: Chicago
dining scene: Chicago
friendliness: subjective, I met both friendly and unfriendly in both cities; I prefer the Midwest to West Coast friendly vibe, so I'll go with Chicago
progressive thinking: Portland

Old 07-16-2018, 10:31 AM

422 posts, read 396,801 times
Portland is a great city, but not a fair comparison with Chicago.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:00 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,627,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsaeed View Post
Portland is a great city, but not a fair comparison with Chicago.
Same, I think this pretty much sums up how most people will feel.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:19 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Career opportunities: Chicago
public tranportation: Chicago
nightlife: Chicago
cultural amenities: Chicago
walkability: Chicago, although Portland packs a pretty big punch in many of its neighborhoods
cleanliness: Chicago
weather: Portland
crime: Portland
cultural diversity: Chicago
architecture: Chicago
dining scene: Chicago
friendliness: Chicago
progressive thinking: Portland

Old 07-16-2018, 12:21 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I've read some articles recently, wherein it's indicted that Portland's downtown area has many problems. I lived in Chicago for years, and was never impacted by crime. Chicago's downtown......as Wizard said, mops the floor with Portland. Please don't try to minimize what I read about Portland's downtown problems, they're real. Also, in Chicago, you're very unlikely to be impacted by the crime, unless you are involved in gang activity, drug activity, and live in parts of the city where you know you shouldn't.
The only thing wrong with Portland is homeless people addicted to needle drugs.

Chicago's crime is insane. Wildings in the beaches, flash mobs downtown, weekly police shootings, there is even a blog called "crime in boystown", because ghetto people are taking the CTA to the nice northside, in order to destroy the nice parts of the city. Police Union is fighting to get rid od the residency requirement, as cops do not want to live there.

Let's not pretend Chicago is safe like West LA or Manhattan. It is very dangerous, even in Logan Square!

Old 07-17-2018, 12:03 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,894,385 times
Chicago vs Portland!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City