Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has the most Desirable and Livable Cities overall?
Georgia 17 36.17%
Tennessee 29 61.70%
Louisiana 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 11:25 PM

340 posts, read 320,701 times

Advertisements

Universities- GA, TN, LA
I would say that GA wins by a decent margin. In Atlanta you have Emory, GA Tech, Morehouse, Spellman, GA State. In Athens you have UGA. In Savannah you have SCAD. Tennessee is not shabby though, it has Vandy, U of Tenessee, and probably a few more that I am missing. LA has Tulane, LSU, and a few others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 11:22 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
Universities- GA, TN, LA
I would say that GA wins by a decent margin. In Atlanta you have Emory, GA Tech, Morehouse, Spellman, GA State. In Athens you have UGA. In Savannah you have SCAD. Tennessee is not shabby though, it has Vandy, U of Tenessee, and probably a few more that I am missing. LA has Tulane, LSU, and a few others.
Several more

Old 07-18-2018, 11:43 PM

340 posts, read 320,701 times
I don't know the universities in Tennesse very well, so if you could tell me more that would be great.

This is just what I found from some internet searching.
From Niche top 100 colleges-
-Vanderbilt-13
-Emory-27
-GA Tech-35
-UGA-68
-Tulane-73

US News
-Vanderbilt-14
-Emory-21
-GA Tech-34
-Tulane-40
-UGA-54
-U of T-103

Old 07-18-2018, 11:47 PM

Quality of Life: Georgia b/c Atlanta
Cost of Living: Louisiana
Education: ??
Infrastructure: Georgia. Major upgrades to I-75 throughout the entire state. Balanced retail, grocery, commercial development, and access to education is better than Tennessee and Louisiana.
Jobs: Georgia b/c Atlanta
Urban Development: Georgia. Atlanta's Beltline project changes the game entirely. Nashville's urban development is largely for wealthy demographics. Atlanta and Chattanooga excel at creating affordable, high quality neighborhoods for a wider variety of demographics.
Nightlife: Georgia b/c Atlanta
Diversity: Georgia
Accepting of Transplants: ??
Crime: Georgia. Georgia has no answers for Memphis and New Orleans level crime.
Outdoor activities: Tennessee
Future outlook: Tennessee b/c Nashville

Georgia performs much better as a state than either Tennessee or Louisiana. Tennessee has the best collection of cities and brighter future. Louisiana is last place in this thread.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
I don't know the universities in Tennesse very well, so if you could tell me more that would be great.

This is just what I found from some internet searching.
From Niche top 100 colleges-
-Vanderbilt-13
-Emory-27
-GA Tech-35
-UGA-68
-Tulane-73

US News
-Vanderbilt-14
-Emory-21
-GA Tech-34
-Tulane-40
-UGA-54
-U of T-103
Belmont-
Lipscomb-
Meharry- HBCU graduates more than 1/3 of all black doctors in the nation. More than 70% practice in underserved/low-income communities.
MTSU- top ranking college for media and entertainment, one of a few AACBSP accredited schools of business in the nation, largest undergraduate school in TN
TSU-HBCU, well-known Homecoming
Fisk- HBCU
ABC- HBCU
Tennessee Technological University- top ranking engineering school
ETSU- 1st place psychology department ranking
Sewanee/University of the South-

There are several others, but these are usually on the radar.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:20 AM

372 posts, read 449,749 times
I think this is kinda lopsided in some ways. Atlanta sways things in Georgia’s favor. Tennessee has a good collection of cities but other than that it goes to Georgia. Modcut: Please keep this about just the three states in the poll.

Last edited by JMT; 07-19-2018 at 06:19 AM..

Old 07-19-2018, 09:47 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Quality of Life: Georgia b/c Atlanta
Cost of Living: Louisiana
Education: ??
Infrastructure: Georgia. Major upgrades to I-75 throughout the entire state. Balanced retail, grocery, commercial development, and access to education is better than Tennessee and Louisiana.
Jobs: Georgia b/c Atlanta
Urban Development: Georgia. Atlanta's Beltline project changes the game entirely. Nashville's urban development is largely for wealthy demographics. Atlanta and Chattanooga excel at creating affordable, high quality neighborhoods for a wider variety of demographics.
Nightlife: Georgia b/c Atlanta
Diversity: Georgia
Accepting of Transplants: ??
Crime: Georgia. Georgia has no answers for Memphis and New Orleans level crime.
Outdoor activities: Tennessee
Future outlook: Tennessee b/c Nashville

Georgia performs much better as a state than either Tennessee or Louisiana. Tennessee has the best collection of cities and brighter future. Louisiana is last place in this thread.
If there's one category Louisiana can win, its nightlife. Georgia is at best 1b to Louisiana because of New Orleans.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:34 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Tn

Old 07-20-2018, 02:02 AM

1,731 posts, read 1,889,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
As a whole, Tennessee's 6 largest cities lead this. All 6 are very livable with the best future outlook.

Georgia's cities are not too far behind, but I don't think on the whole they are up to par with all 6 of Tennessee's cities in every category. In 10-20 years, Georgia's will be there most likely.

Louisiana's just can't compete with either one, based on these categories.
Wrong, I don't see Macon or Augusta being that much bigger than are now in 10 or 20 years even Savannah is barely growing.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:00 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Wrong, I don't see Macon or Augusta being that much bigger than are now in 10 or 20 years even Savannah is barely growing.
I don't agree with this for these three, it's potential for growth especially for Savannah and Augusta.. Macon tends to remain stagnant but recently a lot of development has been going on in the area as well and I could see growth in the 3 especially at metro and CSA level.. My big question mark would be Columbus GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City