Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 11:13 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,176,445 times

Advertisements

Based on available job opportunities, the most recreational opportunities, activities and festivals, eateries, relations between people of different backgrounds, education attainment (primary, secondary and higher education) cost of living, housing affordability, and overall highest quality of life, which of Louisiana's top five largest cities fits these traits the best: Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Lake Charles, New Orleans or Shreveport?

Last edited by Rwarky; 06-15-2018 at 11:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 02:43 AM

30,600 posts, read 19,329,376 times
1. New Orleans with all of its faults also has so much going for it that it's tops
2. Baton Rouge - also a lot to do for its size and a fairly strong economy
3. Lafayette
4. Shreve
5. LC

Old 06-17-2018, 06:17 PM

88 posts, read 51,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Based on available job opportunities, the most recreational opportunities, activities and festivals, eateries, relations between people of different backgrounds, education attainment (primary, secondary and higher education) cost of living, housing affordability, and overall highest quality of life, which of Louisiana's top five largest cities fits these traits the best: Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Lake Charles, New Orleans or Shreveport?
*Based on Job opportunities - New Orleans & Baton Rouge.

*Most recreational opportunities - All five cities but it depends on what recreational activities the person like to do. Each city have different amenities.

*Activities and Festivals - New Orleans, Lake Charles, Shreveport, Lafayette, Baton Rouge.

*Eateries - New Orleans.

*Relationship between people of different backgrounds - New Orleans, Lafayette.

*Education Attainment - New Orleans

*Cost of Living - Shreveport-Bossier City metro area.

*Housing affordability - See Cost of living ^^^^

*Highest quality of life - this state overall ranked nearly dead last as far as "quality of life" according to different news articles.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:37 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,098,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory05 View Post
*Relationship between people of different backgrounds - New Orleans, Lafayette.
Purely out of curiosity, is this really accurate? From what I read, New Orleans sounds like there are tensions between transplants and natives, or people coming in with the gentrification and people being pushed out by it.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:38 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,215,986 times
Shouldn't this be in the Louisiana forum?

Old 06-17-2018, 07:13 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,248,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Shouldn't this be in the Louisiana forum?
Seconded.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Purely out of curiosity, is this really accurate? From what I read, New Orleans sounds like there are tensions between transplants and natives, or people coming in with the gentrification and people being pushed out by it.
There is some of that in every city to a certain degree, not just in New Orleans. Gentrification has happened before. Young people move in and change societal norms. In an old line city like New Orleans, it takes on a different look because people there are resistant to change and progress. There is a tug-of-war going on due to it. Old stores along Canal Street have been re-purposed (a gentrified word, even) into condos.

The original inhabitants will be losing their familiar community, as more and more people are economically forced out of the neighborhood. Slowly or quickly, as the neighborhood becomes filled with (richer) gentrifiers, they will lose friends and acquaintances and will lose the feeling that they have an area that feels like home. The few that manage to stay will slowly start feeling like they don’t really fit into the newer, wealthier group of people who have moved in.

Some are disgusted to see old things changed. Some are happy to see blight cleaned up and people who care move in. I’m not a huge proponent of over-gentrification, but I do appreciate the new people who move there and get the New Orleans vibe.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:35 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,834,344 times
There really isn't a top five battle for top five.

There is no doubt that New Orleans is far and away number one.
It has a quarter of the state's population, and is the political, financial, cultural and educational capital for the state.

There is also no denying that the state capital and second largest metro is number. Baton Rouge holds 20% of the state's population.

It's not till number three that it gets sticky.
I would say that Shreveport slightly edges out Lafayette based on it's residual industry and legacy educational institutions.

Lafayette would be number four even though it is larger than Shreveport.

Number five is also sticky. You didn't list Houma which has quite a bit of industry and Monroe which has a larger CSA than both Lake Charles or Houma. My pick for number 5 would be Houma based on it's economy. Lake Charles I would rank 6 and Monroe 7.

1. New Orleans
Gigantic gap
2. Baton Rouge
Huge gap
3. Shreveport
4. Lafayette
Big Gap
5. Houma
6. Lake Charles
7. Monroe

Old 06-18-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

It has a quarter of the state's population, and is the political, financial, cultural and educational capital for the state.

There is also no denying that the state capital and second largest metro is number. Baton Rouge holds 20% of the state's population.

I would say that Shreveport slightly edges out Lafayette based on it's residual industry and legacy educational institutions.

Number five is also sticky. You didn't list Houma which has quite a bit of industry and Monroe which has a larger CSA than both Lake Charles or Houma. My pick for number 5 would be Houma based on it's economy. Lake Charles I would rank 6 and Monroe 7.

1. New Orleans
Gigantic gap
2. Baton Rouge
Huge gap
3. Shreveport
4. Lafayette
Big Gap
5. Houma
6. Lake Charles
7. Monroe

Shreveport population - 198,477
Lafayette population - 118,803

Old 06-18-2018, 09:55 AM

16,510 posts, read 26,385,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

1. New Orleans
Gigantic gap
2. Baton Rouge
Huge gap
3. Shreveport
4. Lafayette
Big Gap
5. Houma
6. Lake Charles
7. Monroe
There's not a gigantic gap between nola and Baton Rouge anymore. EBR Parish has more people than Orleans parish, also nola isn't the education nor political capital, that's Baton Rouge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory05 View Post
Shreveport population - 198,477
Lafayette population - 118,803
Lafayette metropolitan area is larger than Shreveport. City limits is useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City