Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has the most Desirable and Livable Cities overall?
Georgia 17 36.17%
Tennessee 29 61.70%
Louisiana 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 07:31 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Wrong, I don't see Macon or Augusta being that much bigger than are now in 10 or 20 years even Savannah is barely growing.
I'll give you Macon-Bibb County (a consolidated city-county government) ... but Warner Robins in Houston County (just south of Macon) is one of Georgia's fastest growing cities and has been for some time (thanks to Robins AFB and it's 25,000 civilian employees). The Macon-Warner Robins CSA is home to 420,000 people -- about the size of Shreveport.

Population growth in Augusta-Richmond County proper (another consolidated city-county government) is stagnant but the suburbs are booming. Columbia County is the 9th fastest growing county in Georgia and among the top 100 fastest growing counties in the nation. North Augusta in Aiken County, SC (just across the river from downtown) just built a new stadium for Augusta's minor league baseball team. In addition to the Masters, Augusta is home to the Medical College of Georgia (the state's health sciences and research university with 25,000 employees) and the U.S. Army Cyber Command Center (which is bringing 10,000 highly skilled workers to town). With more than 600,000 people, Augusta is Georgia's 2nd-largest MSA -- about the size of Chattanooga.

As for Savannah ... don't know what your definition of "barely growing" is but that's hardly the case. The City of Savannah has grown by 10,000 people JUST SINCE 2010 -- from 136,000 to 146.000 as of 2017 (a rate of 7.5 percent) -- and is on track to top it's historic all-time high population of 149,245 from 1960. Chatham County has added 30,000 people just this decade, on top of the 32,000 added last decade -- the highest growth of any urban county outside Metro Atlanta. Most of that has been along I-95 in West Chatham County, home to the city of Pooler -- Georgia's fastest growing city from 2000-2010. All this growth has created an affordable housing shortage. New houses can't be built fast enough. Realtors beg people to sell. The average rent for a 1BR apartment topped $1000 this year. New developments downtown are getting $2,000 for studios.

Tourist numbers are at an all time high. New luxury hotels are going up on every corner. Plant Riverside -- the largest single development in the city's history -- is quickly rising on the west end of River Street. On the east end, the Savannah River Landing mixed use project is finally underway -- 1 million square feet of new retail, office, hotel and residential on the waterfront. Across the river, a new Omni Hotel will soon rise next to an expansion that will double the size of the convention and trade center. The city hopes to break ground next year on a $140 million, 12,000 seat sports arena.

I could go on ... but I hope you get the point.

Last edited by Newsboy; 07-20-2018 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 08:22 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
If there's one category Louisiana can win, its nightlife. Georgia is at best 1b to Louisiana because of New Orleans.
Actually I think a good case can be made for Georgia and Louisiana being tied for nightlife. Louisiana has New Orleans while Georgia has Atlanta and Savannah.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Wrong, I don't see Macon or Augusta being that much bigger than are now in 10 or 20 years even Savannah is barely growing.
Say what?????? Metro Savannah has added 40K people from 2010-2017--about the same as Knoxville, which is well over twice as large as Savannah, and more than any other metro in Tennessee except Nashville. You couldn't be more wrong.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:39 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually I think a good case can be made for Georgia and Louisiana being tied for nightlife. Louisiana has New Orleans while Georgia has Atlanta and Savannah.
And Athens, which used to contain the top party school in the nation.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
And Athens, which used to contain the top party school in the nation.
Very true.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:27 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,162,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I don't agree with this for these three, it's potential for growth especially for Savannah and Augusta.. Macon tends to remain stagnant but recently a lot of development has been going on in the area as well and I could see growth in the 3 especially at metro and CSA level.. My big question mark would be Columbus GA.
Quote:
My big question mark would be Columbus GA.
My biggest question mark would be Macon.
Stagnant population growth since 1980,lack of good leadership and small pocket developments that's ONLY benefitting suburban residents.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:25 PM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
That's not true. Savannah is growing quite well, and you have to take into account that Georgia as a whole state consistently has been in the top of the heap in the entire nation, for GDP and job growth the past 10 years +/-.

This is mostly centered in on Atlanta, but it is trickling down to the other cities and they are seeing some growth and opportunity. In another couple of decades I can easily see Columbus or Augusta growing considerably--as well as Savannah, Macon--and Warner Robbins.

Georgia is growing faster than Tennessee on the whole, and even though Tennessee's 6 major cities right now are ahead overall as a collection, than Georgia's top 6 cities, in a couple of decades, things will be even and Georgia may even go ahead.

Atlanta is such a behemoth growth monster with jobs and development it could easily be a state itself. haha

Old 07-20-2018, 05:55 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:

You should really stop commenting on anything related to Georgia. It is quite clear you repeatedly have no idea of what you are talking about when you do so.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:22 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
That's not true. Savannah is growing quite well, and you have to take into account that Georgia as a whole state consistently has been in the top of the heap in the entire nation, for GDP and job growth the past 10 years +/-.

This is mostly centered in on Atlanta, but it is trickling down to the other cities and they are seeing some growth and opportunity. In another couple of decades I can easily see Columbus or Augusta growing considerably--as well as Savannah, Macon--and Warner Robbins.

Georgia is growing faster than Tennessee on the whole, and even though Tennessee's 6 major cities right now are ahead overall as a collection, than Georgia's top 6 cities, in a couple of decades, things will be even and Georgia may even go ahead.

Atlanta is such a behemoth growth monster with jobs and development it could easily be a state itself. haha
Tennessee really struggles to spread the wealth more evenly throughout the state outside of its major cities. Nashville and Clarksville metros are the only areas growing fast. The other metros are either stagnant or slightly growing. Tennessee falls behind in infrastructure upgrades. They keep wasting money on repaving perfectly fine roads instead of building new ones to keep up with demand. Memphis is the punching bag of the state while Chattanooga is the redheaded stepchild in terms of infrastructure needs. There is a stark contrast between what is happening in the Nashville area and the rest of the state. New rising cities including Murfreesboro and Clarksville will overtake Knoxville and Chattanooga in population and economic development in the coming decade.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:43 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Georgia vs. Tennessee vs. Louisiana 6 largest Cities. Which of these southern state has the best Cities Complex over all, how do these Cities compare, line up or compare individually in there # slot side by side? Which state has the most livable and desirable Cities over all?

Louisiana
1. New Orleans
2. Baton Rouge
3. Shreveport
4. Lafayette
5. Lake Charles
6. Bossier City

Georgia
1. Atlanta
2. Augusta
3. Columbus
4. Macon
5. Savannah
6. Athens

Tennessee
1. Nashville
2. Memphis
3. Knoxville
4. Chattanooga
5. Clarksville
6. Murfreesboro

Based off

Quality of Life, Cost of Living, Education, Infrastructure, Jobs, Urban Development, Nightlife, Diversity, Accepting of Transplants, Crime, Out door activities and best Future outlook...

In my opinion, in Louisiana, it's just New Orleans as a desirable place to live (yes I know there is crime I just think there's enough positives to push it into desirable).

Georgia, it's just Atlanta and Savannah that I like.

Tennessee, it's Nashville and Knoxville.

For me personally, I would give Tennessee the edge because I like Nashville so much when I spent itme there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City