Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which alternate reality city looked more appealing
San Francisco 22 55.00%
New York City 18 45.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 07:33 PM

724 posts, read 560,198 times

Advertisements

I know this might be outside the interest of this forum, but I recently binge watched every single episode of "The Man in the High Castle". For those of you guys who don't know the premise, the basis of the book (and TV series) was that the Axis won WW2 and were able to occupy most of the United States. Japan created an occupied "Japanese Pacific States" along the West Coast, and the Eastern US became Nazi America. The capitals of both regions were respectively, San Francisco and New York City. DC was apparently atom bombed and LA wasn't really mentioned in either the book or the show.

San Francisco | The Man in the High Castle Wikia | FANDOM powered by Wikia
New York City | The Man in the High Castle Wikia | FANDOM powered by Wikia

My question is which city looked more appealing in the book and show from an urban aesthetic point of view? My opinion is that NYC looks relatively similar to what 1960s NYC would have looked like, with the obvious exception that demographics look different . San Francisco under Japanese rule looks like a completely different city, and in some ways, looks pretty interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 08:50 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
San Francisco because of more accepting racial society and weather compared to 1960s air conditioning.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:01 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
SF was slightly more racially tolerant, but it looks mad depressing and not nearly as advanced as NYC. I'd rather take my chances in NYC since neither was exactly a beacon of tolerance and at least NYC looked prettier and more civilized lol

As for LA not being mentioned in the book or show, at the time of WWII, LA wasn't nearly as prominent as it is today, or even right after the war. And since it is in Japanese-controlled territory, it makes even more sense that it was overlooked, since SF had a much stronger Japanese influence at that time than LA.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:43 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
You forgot the neutral zone.

Anyhow Id pick SF because Im not white and in Nazi controlled NY Id probably be dead.

I like being alive.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:45 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
San Francisco because it's closer to Denver and the neutral zone.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:32 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Ultimately and superficially, I'd be better off in New York as a white person of northern European ancestry. However, on a quality of life level, I'd have to completely live in the closet as a gay person (anyone who isn't straight, white, Christian, and perfectly healthy is promptly executed).

So...either place is going to offer a miserable existence, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:53 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Ultimately and superficially, I'd be better off in New York as a white person of northern European ancestry. However, on a quality of life level, I'd have to completely live in the closet as a gay person (anyone who isn't straight, white, Christian, and perfectly healthy is promptly executed).

So...either place is going to offer a miserable existence, as far as I'm concerned.
Same boat. Gay Jew here lol. But I don't look Jewish and don't come off as gay so if I faked my entire life, I'd have a better quality of life in NYC than SF. Doesn't seem like anyone is really doing all that well in SF.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:03 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You forgot the neutral zone.

Anyhow Id pick SF because Im not white and in Nazi controlled NY Id probably be dead.

I like being alive.

The Japanese were pretty Brutal too

Old 07-18-2018, 12:05 PM

Exactly. If you’re not a full-blooded Japanese person in San Francisco, you are automatically a second-class citizen with limited economic opportunities and essentially no rights.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Same boat. Gay Jew here lol. But I don't look Jewish and don't come off as gay so if I faked my entire life, I'd have a better quality of life in NYC than SF. Doesn't seem like anyone is really doing all that well in SF.
The Nazis would have done genetic testing to determine your ancestry, and probably would have developed testing for homosexuality as well, so the both of us would eventually end up as ash billowing from a crematorium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City