Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 09:15 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
So is UCD in Davis or Denver? Is UMD in Duluth or Dearborn?
I absolutely wouldn't expect other people to think CU Denver if someone said UCD. It's just that when I get work emails from people there, they say UCDenver as the email domain, and I exchange emails with people there on a daily basis. We use UCD both internally and when exchanging emails with them as the abbreviation for that institution. I work at a different medical institution in Denver and we have overlapping involvement in many things where we have to routinely distinguish between the things on their side and the things on our side and using the initial abbreviation for each institution is the norm.

But like I said, it's definitely not what would occur to people outside of this particular niche when they hear that particular abbreviation. I was just saying that even as someone who would associate UCD with University of Colorado Denver because of this work connection, I still wouldn't make the same connection if someone just said UC in a college name context.

The UCD thing works within the medical community here because people also reference University Hospital or "the University" as short hand for the medical school so we are used to having that U in the front. But a student attending school would say CU Denver, not UC anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 09:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Actually, the students do say "UCD" as well as"UCCS" for University of Colorado Colorado Springs.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Actually, the students do say "UCD" as well as"UCCS" for University of Colorado Colorado Springs.
The ones I've talked to say CU Denver. Granted, it's just a handful of them. And of course it's a backwards name anyway, so maybe one day students will start saying UC Boulder or UCB?

Old 08-05-2018, 08:42 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
What about "UC"?

What comes to mind first: University of Chicago or University of Cincinnati?

I know Chicago is a much more prominent school academically, but Cincinnati has one of the nation's more successful college basketball programs and has had recent success in football over the past decade too boosting its brand nationwide.
Interesting that I live in Chicago, and have never heard the University of Chicago referred to as "UC." Whenever it's abbreviated, I've heard it referred to as 'U "of" C.'

The OP is from Chicago, so maybe he's heard otherwise, but in my experience, "UC" is not universally used.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
The ones I've talked to say CU Denver. Granted, it's just a handful of them. And of course it's a backwards name anyway, so maybe one day students will start saying UC Boulder or UCB?
I looked it up. Apparently, CU Denver is the preferred "new" name.
https://www1.ucdenver.edu/offices/uc...-denver/naming
Some years back, it was "UCD" and "UCCS" (not mentioned in this link). Then CU paid a sh*t-ton of money to rebrand itself. This was sometime around 2006 or 2007.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:52 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,828,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Interesting that I live in Chicago, and have never heard the University of Chicago referred to as "UC." Whenever it's abbreviated, I've heard it referred to as 'U "of" C.'

The OP is from Chicago, so maybe he's heard otherwise, but in my experience, "UC" is not universally used.
Never, ever, ever UC....always U of C

Now here is something I suspect, but absolutely do not know:

You know how the universities in the old Big 8 would reverse their initials so they became MU, NU, KU, OU, CU (while in the Big Ten, our IU actually is Indiana University). Well, I'm taking a stab here, but Illinois being the "U of I" could very well have come from Chicago being called U of C. I realize Illinois is an older school than Chicago, but I doubt people were calling universities by their initials in the 19th century.

Few of the state universities use the "U of __". Minnesota, U of M, does but that's probably to differentiate it from U-M, Michigan. Michigan itself can be referred to U of M, but U-M is more frequently used. Arkansas does use U of A...not sure if that is to differentiate from UA (Bama). Utah goes with U of U because it sounds weird to say UU.I can't think of any other universities that use U of __" other than Illinois, Minnesota, Utah, Arkansas, and for Michigan, rarely.

But Illinois had no such reason to use "U of I".....there would have been no confusion as nobody else even remotely close to the university was using "UI".......keep in mind that the Big Ten's 3 I's each had different initials: SUI, U of I, IU......until the 1960s when the State University of Iowa became the University of Iowa (UI), a move, I might add, brought about confusion with another university. When Iowa State went from being ISC to ISU, the state of Iowa had the crazy situation of having SUI and ISU in the same state. The state has only three public universities and the smaller third one, today Northern Iowa, was State College of Iowa at the time the Iowa City institution changed its name.....so you can easily see why the SUI, ISU, SCI thing would make Iowa want to simplify (It remains legally, but not used, the State University of Iowa.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Some years back, it was "UCD" and "UCCS" (not mentioned in this link). Then CU paid a sh*t-ton of money to rebrand itself. This was sometime around 2006 or 2007.
here's a little irony given the webpage address in the link

Unacceptable names
All other uses or variations are unacceptable, including:

UC Denver

So apparently their own email/web address is an unacceptable name use

Old 08-05-2018, 04:13 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,828,072 times
Quote:
May I assume the CU rebrand was he use of “Colorado”? It seems to me a number of schools are doing rebranding along those lines: certainly Illinois and Wisconsin are prime examples.

Said this earlier: I think the flafships are fed up with the systems that changed their name from Univ of___ to take the form of Univ of ___@ ___.

Some schools like Alabama and Michigan never changed their names when other universities in the system were using city names. Others like Mizzou added the ciry name (Columbia) than dropped it.

I think to a degree (although not in California where “UC” has real and highly valued meaning), te flagships do not want the city names because it makes them sound localized, not state wide and feel the other universities in the system dilute their brand by using “their” name. The other schools in the system think the naming system makes them sound like a branch.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
May I assume the CU rebrand was he use of “Colorado”? It seems to me a number of schools are doing rebranding along those lines: certainly Illinois and Wisconsin are prime examples.

Said this earlier: I think the flafships are fed up with the systems that changed their name from Univ of___ to take the form of Univ of ___@ ___.

Some schools like Alabama and Michigan never changed their names when other universities in the system were using city names. Others like Mizzou added the ciry name (Columbia) than dropped it.

I think to a degree (although not in California where “UC” has real and highly valued meaning), te flagships do not want the city names because it makes them sound localized, not state wide and feel the other universities in the system dilute their brand by using “their” name. The other schools in the system think the naming system makes them sound like a branch.
I really don't know. I didn't go there. My daughter was a student there at the time, at the old UCHSC, that is, University of Colorado Health Science Center. It became part of "CU Denver" even though it was in the process, at the time, of moving to Aurora. She said this whole rebranding cost a lot of money, taxpayer's money of course.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:49 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
Never, ever, ever UC....always U of C

Now here is something I suspect, but absolutely do not know:

You know how the universities in the old Big 8 would reverse their initials so they became MU, NU, KU, OU, CU (while in the Big Ten, our IU actually is Indiana University). Well, I'm taking a stab here, but Illinois being the "U of I" could very well have come from Chicago being called U of C. I realize Illinois is an older school than Chicago, but I doubt people were calling universities by their initials in the 19th century.

Few of the state universities use the "U of __". Minnesota, U of M, does but that's probably to differentiate it from U-M, Michigan. Michigan itself can be referred to U of M, but U-M is more frequently used. Arkansas does use U of A...not sure if that is to differentiate from UA (Bama). Utah goes with U of U because it sounds weird to say UU.I can't think of any other universities that use U of __" other than Illinois, Minnesota, Utah, Arkansas, and for Michigan, rarely.

But Illinois had no such reason to use "U of I".....there would have been no confusion as nobody else even remotely close to the university was using "UI".......keep in mind that the Big Ten's 3 I's each had different initials: SUI, U of I, IU......until the 1960s when the State University of Iowa became the University of Iowa (UI), a move, I might add, brought about confusion with another university. When Iowa State went from being ISC to ISU, the state of Iowa had the crazy situation of having SUI and ISU in the same state. The state has only three public universities and the smaller third one, today Northern Iowa, was State College of Iowa at the time the Iowa City institution changed its name.....so you can easily see why the SUI, ISU, SCI thing would make Iowa want to simplify (It remains legally, but not used, the State University of Iowa.
University of Michigan is referred to as U of M, far more frequently than U-M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City