Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best city across the river, different state
Vancouver WA (Columbia...Portland) 7 14.58%
Council Bluffs IA (Missouri....Omaha) 2 4.17%
West Memphis, AR (Mississippi....Memphis) 0 0%
East St. Louis IL (Mississippi...St. Louis) 1 2.08%
Covington KY (Ohio....Cincinnati) 6 12.50%
ClarsvilleIN (Ohio...Louisville) 3 6.25%
Arlington VA (Potomac....Washington) 14 29.17%
Camden NJ (Delaware...Philadelphia) 1 2.08%
Jersey City NJ (Hudson...New York) 13 27.08%
Kansas City KS (Kansas...Kansas City) 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 01:08 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Easily Jersey City. Arlington a close second. Camden a distant third. Covington a distant fourth. Everything after that is just a random/sorta irrelevant suburb on the other side of a major city. If NYC disappeared, Jersey City would greatly struggle, but could slowly recover as it has a strong economy within itself. Arlington is a real city as well, though less of a business/finance center than JC. Camden used to be a strong city, and will definitely become the next Hoboken/JC. Covington is a nice city, just quiet and not all that much going on. The rest would never survive without their bigger neighbor across the river.

Arlington is a county technically, which was originally called Alexandria county. Then the city of Alexandria split off from it and so they changed the name of the county. There are actually a few parts of the county that people could be thinking of -- I assume most are talking about Rosslyn, since its the most prominent, but some could be thinking of Crystal City or Pentagon City as well, or all three combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 01:57 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The hitch with Kansas City, Kansas, is that it doesn't really have a river separating it from Kansas City, Mo., for most of its common boundary.

The Kaw River actually flows into the Missouri just to the west of the surveyor's line that marks the Missouri-Kansas boundary in the historic West Bottoms, and the downtown, which like KCMO's sits on a rise that puts it out of that floodplain, doesn't really "look out on" KCMO's bluff-top downtown. The West Bottoms is actually a pretty expansive territory, and you cross the state line there without noticing it until you note that the numbered streets now run north-south (they run east-west in all the rest of the metropolitan area).

One of the reasons Kansas City is unusual among bi-state metros is that there is no natural barrier separating the two states: for most of its distance, the state line is a street. Locals don't get confused over this, but outsiders do all the time.

The points about Camden benefiting from its proximity to Philadelphia are well taken, but as for now, I'd still pick Arlington as the best "across the river" jurisdiction in a bi- or multi-state metro area.
True to a degree, but the downtowns are certainly separated by a river even if the boundary does not precisely follow the KS river. There is a natural boundary between the main cores of KCMO and KCK.

I have never understood why KCK is such a stepchild. I mean I never expected it to rival KCMO, but I have always wondered why the city gets so little respect and attention from the state of Kansas, Kansas residents and Kansas companies. If KCK got just a tiny fraction of the attention that Johnson Co does, the city would be a pretty cool place and a nice companion to KCMO. But since EVERYTHING about Kansas revolves around Johnson County, the city of KCK is joke. It's really too bad because downtown KCK could really be an amazing place and a more thriving and interconnected part of the larger urban core of KC.

When the city started subsidizing everything under the sun way out near the speedway and then the EPA left downtown KCK for Lenexa, I came to the conclusion that KCK will probably never amount to much more than it is now.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:23 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Hard to beat Liberty State Park
https://craft-o-maniac.com/wp-conten...state-park.jpg
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/cd3...=1680&fit=crop
https://www.visitnj.org/sites/defaul...?itok=vgB-6ZZ0
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=...048.jpg&w=1024
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City