Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Adding population while losing influence? Vote!
Phoenix 57 20.00%
Jacksonville 74 25.96%
San Antonio 37 12.98%
Columbus 14 4.91%
Charlotte 19 6.67%
Oklahoma City 24 8.42%
Austin 15 5.26%
Nashville 12 4.21%
San Jose 18 6.32%
Other (explain) 15 5.26%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 01:05 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times

Advertisements

A state capital can still lose. They tend to avoid big declines, but they can lose.

Really a city loses in relative terms if it doesn't grow as fast as the country or surrounding cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 11:43 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Don't count Phoenix out. The city is growing in popularity among new tech startups. This city is on the rise despite its negative press.

https://www.prosum.com/2024/01/24/ph...%202021%2D2022.

https://www.blazeradioonline.com/art...ulation-growth

Old 02-14-2024, 05:29 AM

357 posts, read 130,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Overall, if your city has a below-average dating scene like the ones getting a lot of votes in this poll, you're not going to be "cool" with the mingling crowd, since the only reason why the San Antonios, Charlottes, Indianapolises, and OKCs of the world (namely their suburbs/exurbs) grow is for people escaping a higher cost of living city or even a college downtown for an affordable alternative as well as supporting a family, while working in a mundane role such as a sales associate, call center worker, or some other "back office" job. This results in a lot of watered-down, family-friendly entertainment from being the main events in a lot of these communities along with more time simply being spent at home watching TV, playing games, or enjoying social media. They don't provide emerging cultural scenes like the Raleigh/Durhams, Austins, Orlandos, or Boises do which have a larger percentage singles/DINKs. Jacksonville has the combo of both settlers and retirees moving in, and is part of the reason why I passed on a trip to that city later this year from my father who will have a conference there.
Idk if I would list San Antonio in the watered down cultural group and have Austin in the more family friendly group.
San Antonio has the richer culture and the more family friendly vibe. Sure Austin has a lot of bars which gives it a more vibrant night life, but San Antonio has a decent nightlife plus it has more cultural aspect to it. Plus it has a Six Flags, SeaWorld and Huge Schlitterbahn Water Park so San Antonio is as big or bigger weekend draw for Texas families than Austin.

Austin is getting better, but for a while it catered to a more niche crowd while San Antonio was more family oriented.

Old 02-14-2024, 01:10 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Don't count Phoenix out. The city is growing in popularity among new tech startups. This city is on the rise despite its negative press.

https://www.prosum.com/2024/01/24/ph...%202021%2D2022.

https://www.blazeradioonline.com/art...ulation-growth
What negative press?
I find Phoenix (and Scottsdale) to be fantastic! Minus its lack of rain/water/anything green.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:57 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
What negative press?
I find Phoenix (and Scottsdale) to be fantastic! Minus its lack of rain/water/anything green.

You answered your own question.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...ve-conditions/

Old 02-15-2024, 03:16 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
San Antonio and then maybe Charlotte. San Antonio was long the third metro in Texas, and has been surpassed in relevance by Austin even while itself growing at breakneck speed. It seems the clear winner (or loser) here. In Charlotte's case, it's relevance is not in much danger of being surpassed, and it's still speeding by national peers (as is San Antonio). But like SA, it's regional peers (namely Nashville and the Triangle) have caught up.

As for the two leaders, Phoenix seems similarly relevant as always. Cheaper alternative to living in Cali, desert alternative to retiring to Florida. As for Jacksonville, it feels like the 4th wheel in Florida, which it kinda always did. Not sure I see the argument for either to be honest.
I don't see how Charlotte could be viewed as a peer to Nashville or "The Triangle."

It seems CLT alone guarantees a high level of relevance. I've never really wanted to go there, but have been to CLT multiple times due to its primacy as an air hub.

That's not even getting into other things like the Lynx, Charlotte's tall skyline, its much larger metro population that's growing at a faster rate than Nashville's, etc.

So if the assertion is that Nashville and others have "caught up" to Charlotte in the same way Austin has to San Antonio, disagree.

Old 02-15-2024, 04:22 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I have to ask OP; do you really think that Charlotte isn't "building streetcars, high rises, and continuing to add big time amenities"? The fact that you've included it in your choices of poll cities would suggest that you do.

2006 Charlotte
Miles of streetcar--------------zero
Miles of light rail---------------zero
Buildings above 250ft tall------18

2020 Charlotte
Miles of streetcar--------------4
Miles of light rail--------------19
Buildings above 250ft tall---43

I totally agree that some cities simply add people without actually evolving into a "true city". I also agree that some cities grow without actually improving their stature and/or influence.

In Charlotte's case, that city had never hosted a major political convention back in 2006. All of a sudden, Charlotte hosted the 2012 DNC for Obama and was recently selected to host the 2020 RNC. How many cities go from hosting none of these type of events to hosting two in the span of 8 years? Charlotte is also hosting the 2019 NBA All-Star game (the city's second time hosting that particular event). Call me a homer if you wish, but I think listing Charlotte in this thread was a weird city to name. If anything, Charlotte and Austin are probably the fastest evolving midsized US cities right now.

As for transit beyond 2020, there are currently efforts to fund an ambitious $6 billion expansion of the current 19 miles of light rail. This plan would produce a system with over 50 miles of rail (light rail, streetcar, and commuter rail) by 2030. IMO, you might want to do a little more research on NC's largest city; Charlotte isn't just building a bunch of single family suburban homes. Far from it...
Taking this opportunity to acknowledge that this poster was correct in calling me out for the inclusion of Charlotte in the poll. On paper at least, it appears to be firing on all cylinders in metrics that supposed rivals aren't even the slightest bit competitive in.

If I redid the poll today, Charlotte, Phoenix, and Austin wouldn't be choices.

Old 02-15-2024, 04:39 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Re OKC, how is Scissortail Park doing? It looks like that plus Myriad Botanical Gardens are fantastic parks on the south side of Downtown, even the extension south of I-40 it appears. But there's not much around them in the Google Maps view.
Scissortail Park has been expanded to the south side of I-40 down to the river. Mostly a recreational park for ball fields and the like. The sides of of the park are slowly being developed. Lots of undeveloped area south of I 40. The original park is getting some development to the west in a large area that used to be industrial. It is called Strawberry Fields. The east side of the park got the hotel and convention center. There is some open area southeast of that area.

Assuming OKC continues to grow at it's current rate and doesn't boom or bust in a ridiculous manner...
it will probably take two decades for it all to be filled in.

Old 02-15-2024, 05:19 PM

592 posts, read 591,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I don't see how Charlotte could be viewed as a peer to Nashville or "The Triangle."

It seems CLT alone guarantees a high level of relevance. I've never really wanted to go there, but have been to CLT multiple times due to its primacy as an air hub.

That's not even getting into other things like the Lynx, Charlotte's tall skyline, its much larger metro population that's growing at a faster rate than Nashville's, etc.

So if the assertion is that Nashville and others have "caught up" to Charlotte in the same way Austin has to San Antonio, disagree.
Not sure I agree with your take. Having a taller skyline has little to do with what makes cities peers or else Austin, Nashville and Charlotte would have leaped frogged San Antonio a decade ago based on that logic. All three metros, Nashville, Raleigh and Charlotte are roughly in the same tier, with Charlotte being towards the top of course due to size and economy but both Nashville's and Raleigh's population and economy are growing faster percentage wise as of 2024 from my research. The gap may have been wide a decade ago between the three but it's not the case today.

Fasting growing MSA's 2024:
https://explodingtopics.com/blog/fastest-growing-cities

CBRE’s 2024 U.S. Investor Intentions Survey
https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...nvestment.html

Raleigh and Nashville MSA's ranked third and fourth fastest growing GDP in 2023:
https://www.nashvillechamber.com/blo...0and%20Raleigh.

Fastest growing MSA's 2022:
https://mainstreetmediatn.com/articl...ng-metro-area/

Nashville MSA Emerges as One of America’s Fastest Growing Job Markets:
https://www.nashvillechamber.com/blo...t-growing-job-
markets
"According to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, released earlier this month, the Nashville MSA saw a 10.4% growth rate from February 2020 through June 2023. That 10.4% growth rate ranks Nashville #4 of the 52 large metros, just behind Austin, Dallas, and Raleigh."

Last edited by jkc2j; 02-15-2024 at 05:31 PM..

Old 02-15-2024, 05:19 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Good to hear progress is being made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City