Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more international?Houston or Las Vegas
Houston 47 65.28%
Las Vegas 25 34.72%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 11:19 AM

923 posts, read 666,057 times

Advertisements

Which city is more international?Houston or Las Vegas?
Use your own metric(s)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 11:25 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
I can tell youre doing this thread to prove a point, but Ill play along. Ill use the same metrics I used for the Houston/Atlanta thread:

1) International trade in the metro area
2) International diplomatic missions in the metro area
3) Name recognition and media presence abroad
4) Foreign flag carriers at an airport
5) Size of Immigrant community
6) Diversity of Immigrant community
7) Number of international visitors

1) Houston has more international trade
2) Houston has more international diplomatic mission
3) Las Vegas by a long shot
4) Houston has 20, Las Vegas has 19. Call it a draw.
5/6) Houston has a much bigger and more diverse immigrant community, but per capita Houston is 23% foreign born and Las Vegas is 22%. I call it a draw.
7) Las Vegas by a long shot.

Id break it down this way: Houston is more international when it comes to business and Las Vegas is more international when it comes to tourism. To me, its close to being a tie.

Honestly Vegas and Orlando are kind of their own things when talking about international profiles. Both have massive numbers of international visitors but not a lot of international trade outside that.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:30 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,985,580 times
It’s Houston. The international flight network out of Las Vegas is minuscule compared to Houston. It’s hard to gauge how many foreign tourists are in Vegas due to spillover from LAX. Many will drive from LA to Vegas without using McCaren Intl. Airport.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I can tell youre doing this thread to prove a point, but Ill play along. Ill use the same metrics I used for the Houston/Atlanta thread:

1) International trade in the metro area
2) International diplomatic missions in the metro area
3) Name recognition and media presence abroad
4) Foreign flag carriers at an airport
5) Size of Immigrant community
6) Diversity of Immigrant community
7) Number of international visitors

1) Houston has more international trade
2) Houston has more international diplomatic mission
3) Las Vegas by a long shot
4) Houston has 20, Las Vegas has 19. Call it a draw.
5/6) Houston has a much bigger and more diverse immigrant community, but per capita Houston is 23% foreign born and Las Vegas is 22%. I call it a draw.
7) Las Vegas by a long shot.

Id break it down this way: Houston is more international when it comes to business and Las Vegas is more international when it comes to tourism. To me, its close to being a tie.

Honestly Vegas and Orlando are kind of their own things when talking about international profiles. Both have massive numbers of international visitors but not a lot of international trade outside that.
Who me?NEVER!lol

Old 09-07-2018, 03:53 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,389,839 times
Houston

Old 09-07-2018, 10:08 PM

134 posts, read 133,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Which city is more international?Houston or Las Vegas?
Use your own metric(s)
Awesome new thread buddy

Old 09-08-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc05 View Post
Awesome new thread buddy
Anytime darling.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
It’s Houston. The international flight network out of Las Vegas is minuscule compared to Houston. It’s hard to gauge how many foreign tourists are in Vegas due to spillover from LAX. Many will drive from LA to Vegas without using McCaren Intl. Airport.
I dont understand this statement.Are you saying because people fly into LA they shouldnt count?That doesnt make sense to me

Old 09-08-2018, 08:39 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,657,720 times
Houston but Vegas is probably more well known.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:20 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,460,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
I never understood how being a hub matters in all these city comparisons. I can’t tell you how many times I was in Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, Denver, etc for a connecting flight before I decided to step foot in those cities on my own. I’ve flown US carriers to Frankfurt, Germany only to get on a European airline to my final destination. For this discussion look at the number of flights leaving Houston for Vegas? I haven’t, but I’m willing to bet it’s astronomical.

This argument may of held some water 20 years ago. But with airport security after 9/11, shorter layovers, and everyone being entertained with their phone, no one is leaving the airport to explore for a couple hours. Most massive airports are out in BFE anyways.

Oh and Vegas is far more international. People all over the world know it, and visit it. Houston not so much. Besides all the international visitors in Vegas, I’m sure the two cities have pretty similar demographics. Nothing against Houston, I actually like the city, and would choose it over most in this country, it’s just not as international as people like to make it out to be. Heck even in its own country Dallas comes to everyone’s mind first when they think of Texas. I honestly doubt if you ask most Americans what’s the fourth largest city they they’ll say Houston, Dallas will get more votes. Not to downplay its standing in the oil industry, or trade through its port, but nothing makes it stand out, unlike Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City