Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Friendliest state in the South?
Alabama 8 10.53%
Mississippi 1 1.32%
Louisiana 7 9.21%
Tennessee 9 11.84%
Georgia 10 13.16%
Florida 3 3.95%
South Carolina 5 6.58%
North Carolina 5 6.58%
Virginia 1 1.32%
Kentucky 2 2.63%
Arkansas 2 2.63%
Texas 19 25.00%
Oklahoma 1 1.32%
Maryland 0 0%
West Virginia 3 3.95%
Delaware 0 0%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 06:29 AM

1,608 posts, read 3,078,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
People in Louisiana know how to have fun but have killed each other at a higher rate than any other state over the last 28 years in a row.
Yeah.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 09:25 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,547,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I thought Mississippi recently surpassed it.

That said, a lot of people from Louisiana will deny it up and down, but that state is very confrontational and to this day racial tension is high.

There's something of a curse hanging over ol' Lu'siana.

Can't really blame it on poverty either. WV, KY, and TN all have deeper poverty in their states but far lower homicide rates.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:33 AM

9,685 posts, read 9,406,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I thought Mississippi recently surpassed it.

That said, a lot of people from Louisiana will deny it up and down, but that state is very confrontational and to this day racial tension is high.

There's something of a curse hanging over ol' Lu'siana.

Can't really blame it on poverty either. WV, KY, and TN all have deeper poverty in their states but far lower homicide rates.
What you really meant to say was those states have less blacks, therefore, they have less crime.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:35 AM

4,401 posts, read 4,297,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Parts of Maryland fits the bill.
Pretty much only the Eastern shore and parts of Southern Maryland.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
What you really meant to say was those states have less blacks, therefore, they have less crime.
Sounds like you're reading that into my words. You must be fun at parties.

Pretty sure Tennessee and Kentucky have a significant black population.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:28 PM

16,706 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Georgia and Tennessee.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:03 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Pretty much only the Eastern shore and parts of Southern Maryland.
Western MD is also very friendly.

Louisiana's violent stats are heavily skewed by the inner cities of New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Shreveport. People in Baton Rouge and NO area noticeably warier and more guarded because of the crime issues. The outlying areas have more of the traditional Southern hospitality though its not as prevalent as in the past especially with the younger generation. Many people in South Louisiana's smaller communities blame Katrina evacuees for changing the entire atmosphere of their communities, leading to the more guarded existence described above. There IS truth to how SOME of these evacuees have increased crime and poverty.

But, most of the state's very safe compared to places like Maryland or New Jersey. In fact the New Orleans and Baton Rouge suburbs feel safer than Baltimore's suburbs since there's less Section 8 housing being forced on the suburbs and less public transportation connecting the inner city and the suburbs. I used to live in Baltimore County, MD and there was an increasingly bad problem with people moving out from the city and increasing crime rates. Now I still keep in touch with friends in the area and they're constantly sharing news stories on Facebook about homicides, drug related crime and gang activity in previously safe areas. Just last week 2 people were shot and killed a half mile from where I used to live. My suburban community in Louisiana sees less than 5 murders a year and very little property crime. The homicides that do take place here mostly deal with domestic disputes, alcohol issues, etc not gang violence or drugs.

Suburbs in northern cities tend to have a lot of low income areas populated by the undesirable element and by illegal immigrants. Mass transit development can promote this kind of thing. Here in the Baton Rouge metro and in the New Orleans metro as well, if you can't afford a car, then you don't live in the suburbs.

Of the regions I've lived in, West Virginia was the most open and trusting of one another, and then Louisiana. Baltimore was full of mistrust and tension (increasingly so in the past few years) while there was also a yuppie element that was very uppity and too good for anyone else.

In terms of my travels, New Jersey is openly rude and nasty. Seattle was polite but not as openly friendly as the South, though people weren't as suspicious and guarded as urban areas of Louisiana and Maryland.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Western MD is also very friendly.

Louisiana's violent stats are heavily skewed by the inner cities of New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Shreveport.
Bossier city, Lake Charles, and Monroe also have above average crime problems.

I know Bossier is right across the river from Shreveport, but it is still another city.

A lot of Livingston Parish is openly hostile to blacks. Not was; is. Though again, a lot of that is because the blacks from Baton Rouge have not made a good impression on the rural folk.

Louisiana is much better/nicer inside the "borders" of Acadiana and away from the cities, if you ask me.

Too bad about Jersey coming off that way. Where'd you visit? There are friendlier pockets in Jersey. Particularly the northwestern region. Mostly farmers and small town folk, despite the proximity to the NYC sphere.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:09 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,657,720 times
Always found Texans to be super friendly.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:35 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,104,077 times
Mississippi's the Hospitality State, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City