Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more international?Houston or Las Vegas
Houston 47 65.28%
Las Vegas 25 34.72%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 12:20 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times

Advertisements

It is really not a contest.

Las Vegas on international arrivals by a mile.

Las Vegas on international recognition. In most of the world Vegas is as or better recognized than NY and LA. Houston is not in top 10.

Houston likely would win easily on business done...but that is about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 12:21 PM

97 posts, read 64,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Heck even in its own country Dallas comes to everyone’s mind first when they think of Texas.
...because the image of houston was never tied to that sterotypical texan image in the first place

Old 09-08-2018, 12:45 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Similar demographics? In what way is Houston and Vegas similar there?
The overwhelming majority is white and Hispanic. Houston has a higher black population, but short of that they seemed pretty similar. Maybe I was just in the wrong areas? I’ll take your word for it.

Last edited by TacoSoup; 09-08-2018 at 12:54 PM..

Old 09-08-2018, 12:47 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,459 times
Houston business wise but Vegas pleasure! Ummm close one but I voted Houston

Old 09-08-2018, 12:54 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeped View Post
...because the image of houston was never tied to that sterotypical texan image in the first place
Nor is Austin’s, but that doesn’t stop people, at least those I know in San Diego origionally from other southwest states (including Texas), talk about it before any other city in Texas.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:29 PM

97 posts, read 64,220 times
Quote:
Nor is Austin’s, but that doesn’t stop people, at least those I know in San Diego origionally from other southwest states (including Texas), talk about it before any other city in Texas.
the culture of austin encapsulates more of that stereotypical texas cowboy culture than houston. in fact, houston is the complete opposite of the texas cowboy perception in the most part, right down to the climate. for example, people think texas is rugged and dry, while houston is green and gets heavy tropical storms. so i can see how confused people draw a blank for houston, as it largely goes against what texas is known for (other than perceived political talking points).

Last edited by Steeped; 09-08-2018 at 02:37 PM..

Old 09-08-2018, 03:40 PM

290 posts, read 368,705 times
Houston by far.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:51 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Actually Austin is extremely Texan.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:18 PM

923 posts, read 664,504 times
Quote:
Don’t kid yourself thinking people are taking off exploring on layovers. Overnight without a doubt for some. I’ve had two overnighters in Houston going to Europe (friend worked for continental and got us employee standby tickets for cheap). Once I tore up the town that night with a buddy who was back home visiting family, once we just stayed in the sky club until going to our airport hotel because no one in our group wanted to leave.

Just because you think Atlanta’s airport is in a great location doesn’t mean the average person is gonna want to go through the hassle of security again to go out for a brief period. I never even factored in the fact in my original statement that everyone carries multiple bags with them too these days. When I was thinking of myself before 9/11, I often only had a backpack when I’d go exploring during a flight delay.

But yes I agree, some airports are much better than others if someone is going to do this. San Diego is probably one of the best seeing it’s right downtown on the waterfront.
Your evidence is anecdotal just like mine but I have a property about 10-15 minutes from the International Terminal as well as a condo in midyowmn.
In my properties I do Airbnb as well as something called Couchsurfing.Its every other week I get a request for someone with a layover.Its very common .
Just go on the Couchsurfing website and see in the request section of comments?Even question about where you can keep your luggage while you explore.That question is a very common question.
It really depends on how much time but Im telling I see it all the time and I host a lot of international people.Its Americans that dont leave the airports that much from what I see

Old 09-09-2018, 06:20 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,851 times
Economically speaking,Houston wins this one,but for Entertainment,Shopping,Dining,Attractions it's Las Vegas...Vegas is also probably more recognized worldwide than Houston is...Show any photos or videos of both cities and most people will recognize Vegas immediately.

Houston for Business
Las Vegas for Fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City