Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 07:15 PM

160 posts, read 104,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Not really...

There are 42 markets with at least one major league sports franchise (NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS, NHL). 19 have a larger market than Sacramento. 22 have a smaller market than Sacramento. There is no reason to consider Sacramento a "small market" or neither on the "small side of the scale"...

These numbers align when taking all other measurements of size into account...

I think it has more to do with the legacy stature of sports teams and cities. Sacramento has had its NBA franchise since '85. If it wasn't so close to The Bay, there would be more than one franchise in the city, as Sacramento isn't a small city and is larger across all fronts than many legacy cities that developed sooner and have had their sports franchises longer...
I could see MLS in Sacramento.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 07:16 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,974,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You've changed the crux of the argument from "sports market" to "NBA teams". I'll agree to disagree on the larger point...
Market size only matters in baseball and basketball. No one calls the Steelers, Packers or Saints small market teams. Same goes for the Penguins and Oilers in the NHL

On the other hand, the Pirates and Brewers are small market teams. Same goes for the Sacramento Kings.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:06 AM

311 posts, read 314,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Market size only matters in baseball and basketball. No one calls the Steelers, Packers or Saints small market teams. Same goes for the Penguins and Oilers in the NHL

On the other hand, the Pirates and Brewers are small market teams. Same goes for the Sacramento Kings.
This is actually a really good point. As a four sport fan, it actually makes a lot of sense when I look through the leagues as a whole.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:28 AM

5,841 posts, read 5,645,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellside High View Post
I could see MLS in Sacramento.
We have a 50/50 shot at getting one of the final two MLS franchises. Cincinnati and Nashville beat us out in the last round, but we're still a frontrunner:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/...r-makes-sense/

https://mlsmultiplex.com/2018/07/16/...ext-no-matter/

Old 10-03-2018, 02:39 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,976,825 times
Quote:
Cord cutting shouldn’t affect media market size. You are still part of the broadcast TV and terrestrial radio market.
Only if you have a TV or Radio. I still have both (although my only radio is in my car), but my guess is that a large percent of the under 30 population just streams stuff to their phone/tablet.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:56 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,463,501 times
Quote:
Market size only matters in baseball and basketball. No one calls the Steelers, Packers or Saints small market teams.
Maybe to the fans with their teams competitiveness becaue of the revenue sharing. It most definitely matters to the league, and especially the owners. The league gets its TV money off what the networks can charge for advertising. The more houses watching, the more they can charge. For as much as I hate to admit this, but the Chargers will have more people watching with lousy ratings in LA vs good ratings in San Diego. As for the owners, the large market teams make way more money through corporate sponsorship and luxury suites, along with higher ticket and concession prices vs the smaller markets, that’s just reality.

I’m sure owners love it when they’re referred to as a small market, it gives them an out to be cheap that most fans buy right into blindly.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Maybe to the fans with their teams competitiveness becaue of the revenue sharing. It most definitely matters to the league, and especially the owners. The league gets its TV money off what the networks can charge for advertising. The more houses watching, the more they can charge. For as much as I hate to admit this, but the Chargers will have more people watching with lousy ratings in LA vs good ratings in San Diego. As for the owners, the large market teams make way more money through corporate sponsorship and luxury suites, along with higher ticket and concession prices vs the smaller markets, that’s just reality.

I’m sure owners love it when they’re referred to as a small market, it gives them an out to be cheap that most fans buy right into blindly.
But there are a handful of “national teams” that draw, regardless of market size. Pittsburgh, Green Bay and New Orleans are far more important to the league than Houston or Phoenix.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:19 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,463,501 times
Quote:
But there are a handful of “national teams” that draw, regardless of market size. Pittsburgh, Green Bay and New Orleans are far more important to the league than Houston or Phoenix.
Not sure why the Saints are with the Packers and Steelers, unless it’s for the league’s desire to have the Super Bowl in New Orleans. Anyways yes there are smaller market teams that draw well on a national level, but they’re only playing on a Sunday, Monday, or Thursday night so often. The bulk of the games are your local/regional games Sunday afternoons. The Super Bowl aspect aside, the league would rather have a team in the 4th largest city, and top 10 market with Houston over New Orleans come negotiation time with the networks.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Not sure why the Saints are with the Packers and Steelers, unless it’s for the league’s desire to have the Super Bowl in New Orleans. Anyways yes there are smaller market teams that draw well on a national level, but they’re only playing on a Sunday, Monday, or Thursday night so often. The bulk of the games are your local/regional games Sunday afternoons. The Super Bowl aspect aside, the league would rather have a team in the 4th largest city, and top 10 market with Houston over New Orleans come negotiation time with the networks.
Look at the ratings. A Minnesota/Green Bay game will outdraw Sea/Chi. Pit/TB outdrew NYJ/CLE.

NFL Ratings 2018: Numbers For Every Game - Sports Media Watch

Only one Houston game has been one of the top-5 rated games that week (because they were playing the Patriots), whereas Pittsburgh and Green Bay have two each. New Orleans has one.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:59 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,983,034 times
Quote:
Let Houston or Arizona win one Super Bowl like New Orleans. Houston with a young exciting QB like Watson is better for the league than New Orleans. Yes I see your overall point, but market size does come into play eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City