Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 01:33 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,985,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Take it up with Wikipedia.

"A suburb is a mixed-use or residential area, existing either as part of a city or urban area or as a separate residential community within commuting distance of a city.[1] In most English-speaking countries, suburban areas are defined in contrast to central or inner-city areas, but in Australian English and South African English, suburb has become largely synonymous with what is called a "neighborhood" in other countries and the term extends to inner-city areas."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suburb

I've seen a gazillion of these threads. There is not, nor will there ever be, a concensus on this.
There’s certainly consensus in the US English speaking population. No one says that a place is a suburb of Chicago, Atlanta, LA, etc and mean a neighborhood within that city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 01:41 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,714,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
I'd throw Bellevue WA (Seattle) in the ring as well!
Bellevue perhaps has the best skyline of any suburb in the country, but it’s not actually that urban. Daly City, California is a stronger contender in my opinion.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:54 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
There’s certainly consensus in the US English speaking population. No one says that a place is a suburb of Chicago, Atlanta, LA, etc and mean a neighborhood within that city.

I agree - its not so much the word suburb as a noun that is all that subjective -- its the adjective suburban that is. Suburban is not only used just to refer to the suburbs of an area, but also the look and feel of any area, no matter if its technically a suburb, or a city neighborhood, or somehwere basically in the country that's built with the look and feel of a typcial suburb.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:33 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Shaker Heights, OH (just east of Cleveland), definitely belongs high on this list.

It is one of the oldest, completely planned and executed, at once, suburbs -- built in the early decades of the 20th century and was also unique in being inspired and built along high-speed rapid transit to the urban core.

Shaker Heights features:

- high quality, architecturally significant housing, especially mansions.

- significant set-asides for lakes and parks.

- a well-planned, high quality school district with a tradition of not only sending 90% of its graduates to college but to the Ivy League and other of the nation's top colleges, as well.

- after initial racial restrictions, one of the first suburbs to embrace diversity and implement busing students to achieve it (in the early 1960s).

- 2 rapid transit branches with stations within .5 miles of every resident (the suburb is 6 square miles in size; around 28,000 residents.

- many desirable curving streets and lanes oriented to the gently hilly typography in places as well as to the many rapid transit stations.

- a strong national and international reputation for many (or all) of these attributes.
This is exactly what I was talking about.

Shaker Heights is a nice prewar suburb. But it's not really that urban. It's pretty spread out, and the vast majority of its development is set aside for single-family detached homes. There are a couple nodes of higher-density mixed use - near Shaker Square and by Fairnsleigh Station - but it's still rather low density. This is hardly the height of urbanity.

Lakewood is a better example of a quality urban suburb of Cleveland than Shaker Heights, IMHO. Even if it was built to be a bit more downscale.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:35 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,923,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Shaker Heights is a nice prewar suburb. But it's not really that urban. It's pretty spread out, and the vast majority of its development is set aside for single-family detached homes. There are a couple nodes of higher-density mixed use - near Shaker Square and by Fairnsleigh Station - but it's still rather low density. This is hardly the height of urbanity.

Lakewood is a better example of a quality urban suburb of Cleveland than Shaker Heights, IMHO. Even if it was built to be a bit more downscale.
+2 on Shaker Heights. Lakewood fits the bill in urbanity, but it's not - on the surface- all that desirable. Tremont feels like a mini suburb, through it's very much part of Cleveland's urban fabric. I loved Tremont... Favorite neighborhood in Cleveland by a mile.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:30 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Again, says you.

Virginia-Highland:

Buckhead:

Morningside:

All neighborhoods safely ensconced within the city limits of Atlanta.
I really don't know how much more suburban it can get.

Last edited by Iconographer; 10-19-2018 at 05:47 PM..

Old 10-19-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Again, says you.
And others here as well. Are you saying that people in Atlanta will call a neighborhood within city limits a “suburb of Atlanta”? I’ve lived north, south, east, and west and have never experienced that among Native US English speakers. But I haven’t lived everywhere in the US. Maybe some places are different. Where in the US uses “suburb” in that way?

Old 10-19-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Again, says you.

Virginia-Highland:

Buckhead:

Morningside:

A city can be suburban and a suburb can be urban. The latter is the entire point of this thread. The distinction we are discussing is that in American vernacular we don not call areas within the city limits of the main city a suburb. No one that lives in buckhead says that they live in an Atlanta suburb. Or are you saying that they do? I think that it’s the whole noun-adjective thing that’s causing the disagreement as someone mentioned earlier.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:50 PM

93,368 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Larchmere is another area with some urbanity: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4875...7i13312!8i6656

Old 10-19-2018, 07:40 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Again, says you.

Virginia-Highland:

Buckhead:

Morningside:

Those neighborhoods may have suburban layouts but they are not actual suburbs as they are within the actual city of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City