Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Craft Beer State In The Us?
Vermont 7 5.79%
Colorado 32 26.45%
Oregon 29 23.97%
California 11 9.09%
Massachusetts 6 4.96%
Michigan 18 14.88%
California 8 6.61%
Washington 18 14.88%
New Hampshire 4 3.31%
Florida 2 1.65%
Illinois 7 5.79%
New York 6 4.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 09:25 AM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times

Advertisements

Oregon, because Colorado is too heavily weighed towards hoppy beers and rank IPAs.

Oregon is much better balanced and varied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 09:53 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Oregon, because Colorado is too heavily weighed towards hoppy beers and rank IPAs.

Oregon is much better balanced and varied.
Funny, I feel exactly the opposite. PAC NW is much heavier in hoppy beers.

Colorado’s best brewers are really in to sours and big barrel aged beers. IPA is the one style of beer I tend to steer clear of and Colorado has a ton to offer for me.

One of my favorite things about the Denver brew scene is that there is something for everyone.

Like British cask beers? There’s a brewery for that
Like German lagers? There are two breweries who do nothing else
Like barrel aged beers? Check.
Like sours? There a few who do nothing but that too

Last edited by SkyDog77; 11-01-2018 at 10:04 AM..

Old 11-01-2018, 09:59 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Dude, Portland alone has over 50 breweries and the metro has over 80. Bend, a small city has over 20. Eugene, freaking Eugene,has like 14.

This is clearly a OR vs CO situation. Lots of places have good breweries, but these two States stand far above the rest.
I don’t see why WA would’nt be considered in the same league as OR and CO. It has more breweries than either of those states, Seattle has slightly more breweries than Denver and slightly less than Portland. Even outside of Seattle metro, craft brewing is prolific all over the state. Again, the first modern brewpub was in Yakima, Washington. 75% of the country’s hops are grown within Washington. It has world class breweries, brewpubs, tasting rooms, and beer bars. It’s really engrained into the fabric of the culture. I’m not saying WA is necessarily better than OR or CO, but it’s right there with them.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I don’t see why WA would’nt be considered in the same league as OR and CO. It has more breweries than either of those states, Seattle has slightly more breweries than Denver and slightly less than Portland. Even outside of Seattle metro, craft brewing is prolific all over the state. Again, the first modern brewpub was in Yakima, Washington. 75% of the country’s hops are grown within Washington. It has world class breweries, brewpubs, tasting rooms, and beer bars. It’s really engrained into the fabric of the culture. I’m not saying WA is necessarily better than OR or CO, but it’s right there with them.
It doesn’t have more breweries than Colorado, at least as of May of last year, but it’s right there.

https://datafiniti.co/craft-beer-popular-america/

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...r-the-top.html

Old 11-01-2018, 10:53 AM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
One of my favorite things about the Denver brew scene is that there is something for everyone.

Like British cask beers? There’s a brewery for that
Like German lagers? There are two breweries who do nothing else
Like barrel aged beers? Check.
Like sours? There a few who do nothing but that too
You left out malty beers, like porters and stouts. Just another reason why I still go with Oregon.

In addition, I've found breweries and brewpubs in OR to be more relaxed, fun, and friendly than CO.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 11-01-2018 at 11:02 AM..

Old 11-01-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
You left out malty beers, like porters and stouts. Just another reason why I still go with Oregon.

In addition, I've found breweries and brewpubs in OR to be more relaxed, fun, and friendly than CO.
Oh those are here too; Avery is one of the best stout houses in the world. Left Hand makes arguably the best milk stout in the country. I could go on, but alas I know there is nothing about Colorado that you don’t like more in another state.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:14 AM

644 posts, read 1,018,190 times
Quote:

Thank you for saying this. It was a hard thing for me to accept when I lived in CO... The brewpub scene was kind of snobby and holier-than-thou.

Oregon was not like that at all. They seemed more than welcome to educate me on brewing matters without the condescension.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:25 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Oh those are here too; Avery is one of the best stout houses in the world. Left Hand makes arguably the best milk stout in the country. I could go on, but alas I know there is nothing about Colorado that you don’t like more in another state.
It's worth nothing that Avery also makes some of the more desired mass produced sours in the US.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:29 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
WA definitely should be, and so should California for that matter-it's certainly not limited to SD, but how does that city alone not get the state more votes? CA dominates the total number of breweries, and many are legendary. But I digress....

In the case of WA, I agree it's very ingrained in the culture, but people are somewhat more reserved. For example, we've got over a dozen breweries here in Bellingham, with an additional dozen within thirty miles. Several are GABF medal winners, but many of the best around here don't compete in big, national competitions or even distribute outside the immediate region. And although I'm partial to my town, there are actually a number of places up and down the West Coast states that have a similar story. These aren't even the big cities that get all the attention!

So it's hard for me to pick a runaway #1 or even #2- especially among Western states with hundreds of breweries each. We moved from CO to WA but often take road trips all over the place that involve checking out the well-regarded local spots, and we continue to be impressed with how much good beer there is out there. It's fitting that as I write this, I can tell it's a brew day at one of our excellent neighborhood breweries, as the smell comes wafting in through the window....

Old 11-01-2018, 11:36 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Fittingly, as I write this, I can tell it's a brew day at one of the neighborhood breweries, as the smell comes wafting in through the window....
You have inspired me to grab a few beers on the way home today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City