Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Craft Beer State In The Us?
Vermont 7 5.79%
Colorado 32 26.45%
Oregon 29 23.97%
California 11 9.09%
Massachusetts 6 4.96%
Michigan 18 14.88%
California 8 6.61%
Washington 18 14.88%
New Hampshire 4 3.31%
Florida 2 1.65%
Illinois 7 5.79%
New York 6 4.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 06:41 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I’m with you there about both Stone and Avery, and IPA’s too. Next time you come to San Diego go to Modern Times by the Sports Arena if you haven’t already. They make a great sour, Fruitlands. They recently opened a place in LA too.

Ps. I’m with you on your next post too about picking between San Diego, Denver, and Portland. Obviously I’m more familiar with San Diego and can be a complete homer, but I’ve had beers in both Denver and Portland as well and won’t dismiss them. Picking between the three is like asking a parent which kid they love more.
Modern Times has some solid beer too. Some great IPAs, though I see you’re not a hop head. Mountain Voice is probabaly the best I’ve had by them. They distribute to Craft Beer Cellars out in MA (as do many popular breweries out West including Avery and Stone).

I suspect their beers would be even better fresh as they largely subscribe to the New England, unfiltered style. Tough to distribute that across country without losing some balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 06:42 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I’m with you there about both Stone and Avery, and IPA’s too. Next time you come to San Diego go to Modern Times by the Sports Arena if you haven’t already. They make a great sour, Fruitlands. They recently opened a place in LA too.

Ps. I’m with you on your next post too about picking between San Diego, Denver, and Portland. Obviously I’m more familiar with San Diego and can be a complete homer, but I’ve had beers in both Denver and Portland as well and won’t dismiss them. Picking between the three is like asking a parent which kid they love more.
Took a pic just now for you. I know their chef quite well. I’ve also been to their spot in Portland. Great beer.

PS. It’s a joke that California only has 3 votes in this poll. People just don’t know. Since it was multiple vote I went CA, CO, OR

Old 11-01-2018, 06:56 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thr...ed-by-its-beer

A surprisingly good list by Thrillist (which is rare). I’d move VT up, and Michigan down. Other than that, I agree with almost everything. Great notes about the local scene under each State too.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:25 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
You have inspired me to grab a few beers on the way home today.
Glad I could be of service!

Old 11-01-2018, 08:54 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I'm gonna say it's the two with the most craft breweries and, in my opinion, the best craft beers: California and Washington. Also, Washington is where 75% of the country's hops are grown and where the first post-prohibition brewpub was opened (Yakima Brewing).

https://vinepair.com/articles/map-st...reweries-2018/
The map illustrates the problem with calling a state a "good beer state" based on the number of breweries it has. The New England states are tiny in area, while expansive states like CA and TX have plenty of room and plenty of cities where craft breweries thrive.

I'd like to see a ranking of states based on breweries per capita (# of breweries per 1,000 state residents). Unfortunately, I don't feel like crunching numbers for all 50 states!

Even that's not the best, given the variation in size among craft breweries. Another alternative is production: each state's # of barrels produced per state 1,000 state residents.

Anyone have any pre-processed data on this (or willingness to crunch all these numbers)?

Old 11-01-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
The map illustrates the problem with calling a state a "good beer state" based on the number of breweries it has. The New England states are tiny in area, while expansive states like CA and TX have plenty of room and plenty of cities where craft breweries thrive.

I'd like to see a ranking of states based on breweries per capita (# of breweries per 1,000 state residents). Unfortunately, I don't feel like crunching numbers for all 50 states!

Even that's not the best, given the variation in size among craft breweries. Another alternative is production: each state's # of barrels produced per state 1,000 state residents.

Anyone have any pre-processed data on this (or willingness to crunch all these numbers)?
VT has more breweries per capita, and more gallons consumed per capita than any other state. 75% more craft beer consumed than the second state in line, which is a staggering delta. Not only that, and not to beat a dead horse, but it’s my unbiased opinion that VT likely supplies the highest quality beer scene I’ve come across along with CO.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foo...ost-craft.aspx

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-us-by-state/

VT is craft beer and delicious cheese. That’s literally the entire being of VT. It’s like a foodie, crafty, upscale Wisconsin with mountains.. (no offense, WI).

Old 11-01-2018, 09:08 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Where's TN and NC in that poll?

In TN, Chattanooga Brewing (Chattanooga) and Yeehaw Brewing Company (Johnson City) are so good.

In NC, Wicked Weed in Asheville and Duck Rabbit in Farmville are stand outs.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Where's TN and NC in that poll?

In TN, Chattanooga Brewing (Chattanooga) and Yeehaw Brewing Company (Johnson City) are so good.

In NC, Wicked Weed in Asheville and Duck Rabbit in Farmville are stand outs.
Asheville in a silo is impressive fore sure, but NC is rarely mentioned if ever among the heavyweights. Wicked Weed would be a neighborhood brewery in CO.. Honestly, the liquids elsewhere are just that polished now.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:41 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
VT has more breweries per capita, and more gallons consumed per capita than any other state. 75% more craft beer consumed than the second state in line, which is a staggering delta. Not only that, and not to beat a dead horse, but it’s my unbiased opinion that VT likely supplies the highest quality beer scene I’ve come across along with CO.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foo...ost-craft.aspx

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-us-by-state/

VT is craft beer and delicious cheese. That’s literally the entire being of VT. It’s like a foodie, crafty, upscale Wisconsin with mountains.. (no offense, WI).
Oregon belongs in that craft beer and cheese conversation too: Tillamook cheese is about as good as it gets.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Oregon belongs in that craft beer and cheese conversation too: Tillamook cheese is about as good as it gets.
Totally true. Oregon is like a foodie, crafty Wisconsin with big mountains and ocean.

Tough to beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City