Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban within city limits: Atlanta, GA or Arlington/Alexandria, VA
Atlanta, GA is more urban 40 26.14%
Arlington and Alexandria, VA are more urban 113 73.86%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 08:49 AM

4,416 posts, read 5,149,807 times

Advertisements

I thought Atlantas core was pretty urban and vibrant for a southern city for sure, when visited last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 08:58 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I thought Atlantas core was pretty urban and vibrant for a southern city for sure, when visited last year.
Thanks for the dose of reality! It certainly isn't the hideous 'dump' being portrayed by dtyfygiu.

Old 02-09-2022, 10:58 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,742,373 times
Quote:
This is the truth. Atlanta is more urban and walkable than any other southern city, except the beach areas of Miami. Houston and Dallas aren't nearly as walkable in the core regardless of density.

Old 02-09-2022, 11:14 AM

226 posts, read 132,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
This is the truth. Atlanta is more urban and walkable than any other southern city, except the beach areas of Miami. Houston and Dallas aren't nearly as walkable in the core regardless of density.

Did New Orleans just stop existing?

Old 02-09-2022, 12:02 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Atlanta has some good functional urbanity in portions of its Downtown, but...that's about it when it comes to "three-dimensional urbanity. I mean, there's lots of tall buildings and decent urbanity on certain streets in Midtown and Buckhead, but in most places if you walk two blocks off of the main corridors you find either single-family homes or parking lots. There's a notable lack of anything resembling a medium-density urban residential neighborhood - areas with attached housing, walkup apartments, etc.

Inner NOVA isn't perfect, but Old Town Alexandria - although low slung - offers better neighborhood-level urbanity than anything in Atlanta, as it's a substantial area mostly filled with rowhouse-like structures. The new urbanist stuff is generally better quality than Atlanta as well. Ballston is pretty sterile, but much more consistently built out than anywhere in Atlanta. Rosslyn is very similar. So is Court House. Basically there's continual high-rise development from the Potomac all the way to Ballston. There's also dense but not particularly well-designed areas like Crystal City and some parts of Alexandria.

Old 02-09-2022, 01:27 PM

1,374 posts, read 924,407 times
Outside of downtown, midtown, buckhead, some of the walkable areas around Atlanta include

Decatur: https://goo.gl/maps/2Q1qbQm6RquHdR519

Glenwood: https://goo.gl/maps/RnXbzcTVMCqRE3ER6

Little 5 Points: https://goo.gl/maps/YaTSARrqaYsK3gJy9

Area around the CDC and Emory: https://goo.gl/maps/KUnNmXp62xYY1qyb8

East Atlanta Village: https://goo.gl/maps/DEtNMrNJQEWZXy3ZA

There are others as well. Some of the most walkable parts are on the Beltline but unfortunately google maps hasn't updated any part of the beltline in 10 years. Here is a photo for example: https://www.tsw-design.com/wp-conten...wnhomes-01.jpg | https://flic.kr/p/2mm3qmS

Last edited by ShenardL; 02-09-2022 at 01:51 PM..

Old 02-09-2022, 02:38 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2021 View Post
Exactly!!! Only on City Data does urbanity come up as if there is some rule that says your city is horrible if it is not as walkable as some other random city. Atlanta must doing doing something right as it was the 3rd or 4th fastest growing metro in the country. And yes, amongst all major metros, it is king when it comes to unemployment.
I mean. Everyone likes a walkable community with parks, plaza's, amenities that fit their living styles.

I also think Atlanta around the 3rd or 4th fastest growing metro in the country on raw numbers (which is more impressive than simply being fastest by %)

Quote:
Atlanta does have a vibrant core. Atlanta isn't a city where neighborhoods have population densities approaching 40,000 people per sq. mile so the urbanity is going to be more auto-accessible and caters to those who drive. That doesn't take away the vibrancy for most and it adds to a cosmopolitan flair.

Baltimore is more urban but I'm not sure I'd call it more vibrant than Atlanta. (no slam to Baltimore)

Quote:
I'd add to that, Atlanta is the most walkable outside of Miami of its southern peers (excluding DC).

The ATL core just doesn't match the structural/built density of Alexandria/Arlington. Sure people in Atlanta aren't clamoring to lived crammed up. And I'm sure those who do live in Alexandria/Arlington prefer the density.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 02-09-2022 at 02:53 PM..

Old 02-09-2022, 03:22 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I mean. Everyone likes a walkable community with parks, plaza's, amenities that fit their living styles.

I also think Atlanta around the 3rd or 4th fastest growing metro in the country on raw numbers (which is more impressive than simply being fastest by %)

Atlanta does have a vibrant core. Atlanta isn't a city where neighborhoods have population densities approaching 40,000 people per sq. mile so the urbanity is going to be more auto-accessible and caters to those who drive. That doesn't take away the vibrancy for most and it adds to a cosmopolitan flair.

Baltimore is more urban but I'm not sure I'd call it more vibrant than Atlanta. (no slam to Baltimore)

I'd add to that, Atlanta is the most walkable outside of Miami of its southern peers (excluding DC).

The ATL core just doesn't match the structural/built density of Alexandria/Arlington. Sure people in Atlanta aren't clamoring to lived crammed up. And I'm sure those who do live in Alexandria/Arlington prefer the density.
Atlanta also wasn't settled in Colonial times.

Old 02-09-2022, 06:58 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,742,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyfygiu View Post
Did New Orleans just stop existing?
Yes. It's irrelevant in comparison to cities millions of people larger than it. It's why I don't throw in Savannah or Charleston.

Old 02-09-2022, 07:16 PM

226 posts, read 132,806 times
Quote:
Yes. It's irrelevant in comparison to cities millions of people larger than it. It's why I don't throw in Savannah or Charleston.

NOLA's population is around 400k, not far from Atlanta's 490k. New Orleans has 2 major sports team and is a major tourist destination, it's not as major as Atlanta but it definetly deserves to be compared. Urban wise, Atlanta has nothing like the French Quarter, Bourbon St, let alone the beautiful architecture of the city. New Orleans is much more walkable than Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City