Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Idaho Falls or Slidell?
Idaho Falls 23 82.14%
Slidell 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 05:53 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Slidell is like 15-20 mins away from NOLA. Nowhere near 45 minutes, that's the southern suburbs of Baton Rouge.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/New+...30.2751945!3e0

36 min, W/O traffic. Was showing 47 min on google when I check during rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 08:38 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/New+...30.2751945!3e0

36 min, W/O traffic. Was showing 47 min on google when I check during rush hour.
That's to get downtown, New Orleans city limits start at the Bayou Sauvage National Wildlife Refuge, or about at the intersection of I-10 and I-510.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:46 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's to get downtown, New Orleans city limits start at the Bayou Sauvage National Wildlife Refuge, or about at the intersection of I-10 and I-510.
Distances on road signs, google maps, etc, are measured to the city center, usually downtown, not the city limits. It’s been this way forever. I’m not sure why you’d expect someone to measure to a bayou refuge on the city limits. Regardless, it’s odd that the Waffle House would be used as the culinary standard 30 miles from one of America’s great food cities. Slidell would be my choice due to its proximity to New Orleans in the short term, while I would probably take Idaho Falls for the long term. But this isn’t really a fair comparison for either side as they’re both very different regions appealing to completely different people.

What’s the point of this thread? The OP made it very clear he loves the location, environment, and weather of Slidell, and found nothing nice to say about Idaho Falls in his opening post. Is affirmation that important? All it’s gonna do is show many people would rather be near the mountains in Idaho than the swamps on the gulf in Louisiana.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:41 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
This is a pretty ridiculous city vs. city. Seriously.

First, Slidell, LA is basically a suburb of New Orleans. Idaho Falls is a suburb of...nowhere.

I won't even mention the climate differences, those are obvious.

However, I will mention I made a trip to Tampa from the Pacific Northwest in 1989, and decided to stay in a hotel in Slidell off of I-12. It looked nice from the outside, but became very apparent it was a hotel that was not meant for weary drivers. It was meant for other reasons, and most visitors only stayed for about an hour. I was so upset I upped and got out of my room in the middle of the night, and almost drove off the freeway due to lack of sleep. So that is my memory of Slidell. Perhaps someone can offer a better memory of this town.

I lived in Idaho Falls for several years. I thought it was isolated, cold, and uninviting. But would choose it 100 times over Slidell, LA.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Distances on road signs, google maps, etc, are measured to the city center, usually downtown, not the city limits. It’s been this way forever. I’m not sure why you’d expect someone to measure to a bayou refuge on the city limits. Regardless, it’s odd that the Waffle House would be used as the culinary standard 30 miles from one of America’s great food cities. Slidell would be my choice due to its proximity to New Orleans in the short term, while I would probably take Idaho Falls for the long term. But this isn’t really a fair comparison for either side as they’re both very different regions appealing to completely different people.

What’s the point of this thread? The OP made it very clear he loves the location, environment, and weather of Slidell, and found nothing nice to say about Idaho Falls in his opening post. Is affirmation that important? All it’s gonna do is show many people would rather be near the mountains in Idaho than the swamps on the gulf in Louisiana.
I agree the main appeal for Slidell is it is close to NOLA.

Honestly I think both would be really fun places for a 10 week internship. If I did the IF thing I would probably camp 9-10 of those weekends. If I did Slidell, I would most likely spend 9 or 10 of those weekends in NOLA.

I think this all comes down to the OP not being outdoorsy or adventuresome and which is what you would want to be if you were to entertain yourself in a Town like Idaho Falls. They then take it out on the poor town for being what it is. NOLA is a no assembly required entertainment, just wander on in, no planning really required, except a fully charged phone for the lyft home.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:31 AM

345 posts, read 455,726 times
Grand Tetons
Lost River
Yellowstone
Henry's Fork
Craters of the Moon
Sun Valley
Snake River Canyon

Yep, Idaho Falls for me. Slidell wins on Food but don't like the hurricanes. If an internship is outside of hurricane season...well...nope, still IF fore me.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:10 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post

The thing is, Idaho Falls isn't really that cold as far as northern places go. The Midwest and North East are much more brutal in terms of snowfall and higher winter humidity. It gets cold, but not super cold.
Idaho Falls may have less snow than Chicago but it's average January lows (and all-time Record lows) are actually lower than Chicago's, not to mention Boston's.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Idaho Falls may have less snow than Chicago but it's average January lows (and all-time Record lows) are actually lower than Chicago's, not to mention Boston's.
Yeah, but without humidity they don't feel that way. 40 degrees in Dallas feels colder than 30 in Boise because Dallas has humidity and Boise does not.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:23 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
I think Idaho Falls would be for a Californian who wants familiarity; Idaho is very similar to the Sierra Nevadas of California, just with more Mormons.

Slidell would be for a Californian who wants novelty, an exotic, Deep South town steeped with character and a landscape straight out of "Forrest Gump" or "The Truman Show."

Old 11-12-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I think Idaho Falls would be for a Californian who wants familiarity; Idaho is very similar to the Sierra Nevadas of California, just with more Mormons.

Slidell would be for a Californian who wants novelty, an exotic, Deep South town steeped with character and a landscape straight out of "Forrest Gump" or "The Truman Show."
Thats a pretty weird point.

Some parts Idaho and parts of California have some similarities in landscape because they are both part of the west, but that's almost like comparing the Adirondacks to the Great Smoky Mountains, similar looking mountains, but the culture is different. Plus I'm never going to mistake a picture of southern California or the redwoods for Idaho, or Lake Pend Oreille for California.

Yeah, the deep south is "More Different" and NOLA is one, if not the most unique part of the country. My Friends from the East Coast, Midwest, and Northern Texas all find NOLA "Exotic"

The fact that you are dismissing Idaho as some sort of "California lite" is exactly why some natives are hostile towards Californians. It might even play a part into why you didn't enjoy being there, people probably didn't like you lol.

Idaho is only going to feel familiar if you are from a smaller California city, if you are from SoCal, Dallas, Phoenix, Austin etc will all feel much more similar. In some ways: Atlanta, Houston etc will feel similar too, as large cities, but they will look different. A person living in Suburban Houston has more in common with Suburban LA than with Idaho Falls does with either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City