Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 05:44 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I do think that exists in certain forms in Austin, but today it's more of a mix of what you see in Midtown Atlanta and the Nashville music scene. Nashville is much heavier on country music for obvious reasons as Austin is move mixed in music genres you can find in venues. Austin is a lot more progressive than Nashville as well. I just felt the two kind of looked similar. Nashville's growth is where Austin was probably 8-10 years ago though. I expect the momentum will continue and the DT area will become even better. I'd definitely pay it another visit.
I do see a similar feel to DT Austin and Nashville. And don't get me wrong, I happen to be a fan of low-brow entertainment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 11:11 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
That's a surprise observation. Have you been to downtown Nashville? I've never heard it described before (at least in the past 3 years-ish or so) as "boring." If downtown Nashville is boring to you, then you must be hangin out in the downtowns of Chicago, Boston, Manhattan and San Fran only.

Nashville has a little ways to go to catch up with a truly 24/7 downtown live/work/play center--and is probably 3-5 years off. But currently, I would categorize it as definitely being a " top 20 downtown" in the country, in terms of vibrancy. Maybe top 15....
I've also never heard anyone say that Midtown Atlanta just feels like an extension of downtown. The two districts have very distinct vibes.

It's not a good look when you feel as though you have to completely misrepresent other cities just so that your own "wins" by default.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:27 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
This week, I spent my first time ever in "uptown" Charlotte.

I was very impressed overall. This city has a nice compact, walkable downtown district with a growing rapid rail, a nice theater/arts community, a couple of museums, a couple of great nicer level grocery stores downtown (Harris Teeter and Whole Foods), super high ends condos and apartments, luxury hotels, major skyscrapers and corporate HQs. Not to mention the Panthers' stadium as well as the Bobcats' arena.

It's a very compact, growing, and livable area. In rankings with downtown Nashville and downtown Atlanta, I may now have to put Charlotte as the best of the 3!!

Don't get me wrong--I LOVE Nashville and am a big Nashville fan. But, Charlotte beats Nashville because it has an established plan for rapid rail, and has a nice, established (yet growing) system. Also, downtown feels more established than Nashville's. Nashville is currently booming, so way way too much construction going on as of right now, in 2019. Once 2021 or 2022 comes around for Nashville, downtown will be much more established and less "construction everywhere."

Also, Nashville really needs to get it moving with the public transportation piece. Until that is in place, it will be a 2nd rate city, unfortunately, and not on the level of the Denver's, Charlotte's and Portland's of the world.

As for Atlanta, their current downtown feels like an afterthought. Some real good going on of course, but it is less compact than Charlotte and does not feel as safe as Charlotte in spots. Atlanta needs to make it a really livable area, just as amazing as midtown Atlanta is today.

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 03-01-2019 at 02:41 PM..

Old 03-01-2019, 07:16 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
This week, I spent my first time ever in "uptown" Charlotte.

I was very impressed overall. This city has a nice compact, walkable downtown district with a growing rapid rail, a nice theater/arts community, a couple of museums, a couple of great nicer level grocery stores downtown (Harris Teeter and Whole Foods), super high ends condos and apartments, luxury hotels, major skyscrapers and corporate HQs. Not to mention the Panthers' stadium as well as the Bobcats' arena.

It's a very compact, growing, and livable area. In rankings with downtown Nashville and downtown Atlanta, I may now have to put Charlotte as the best of the 3!!

Don't get me wrong--I LOVE Nashville and am a big Nashville fan. But, Charlotte beats Nashville because it has an established plan for rapid rail, and has a nice, established (yet growing) system. Also, downtown feels more established than Nashville's. Nashville is currently booming, so way way too much construction going on as of right now, in 2019. Once 2021 or 2022 comes around for Nashville, downtown will be much more established and less "construction everywhere."

Also, Nashville really needs to get it moving with the public transportation piece. Until that is in place, it will be a 2nd rate city, unfortunately, and not on the level of the Denver's, Charlotte's and Portland's of the world.

As for Atlanta, their current downtown feels like an afterthought. Some real good going on of course, but it is less compact than Charlotte and does not feel as safe as Charlotte in spots. Atlanta needs to make it a really livable area, just as amazing as midtown Atlanta is today.

Out of curiosity, what were your expectations or opinions of What Charlotte was before you visited?

Old 03-01-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Out of curiosity, what were your expectations or opinions of What Charlotte was before you visited?
Good question.

I think I was expecting a less dense, less dynamic, and less "well infrastructured" downtown. I was expecting more of a less dense, spread out, suburban-ish office park type of downtown I think. That is how so many downtowns seem to be in the south, moreso than dense districts resembling the northeast or midwest.

I told a friend of mine today, that uptown Charlotte reminded me a lot of a smaller version of Center City in Philadelphia.

Good combo of high rises, residential districts, park space and a reasonable amount of new construction going up. Charlotte is so clean with its downtown district--very impressive. Plus, it has a lot of really great types of restaurant options. The rail system is so great to see--it will truly make Charlotte even more and more dense, and less and less reliant on solely the automobile and bus, as long as the city continues to expand it as ridership increases.

I am headed out to just explore tomorrow, since it is my last day here for a while. Today was to be that day, but it rained pretty heavily here in Charlotte all afternoon. Eager to check out the uptown district even more tomorrow, and get some good pics.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:04 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Good question.

I think I was expecting a less dense, less dynamic, and less "well infrastructured" downtown. I was expecting more of a less dense, spread out, suburban-ish office park type of downtown I think. That is how so many downtowns seem to be in the south, moreso than dense districts resembling the northeast or midwest.

I told a friend of mine today, that uptown Charlotte reminded me a lot of a smaller version of Center City in Philadelphia.

Good combo of high rises, residential districts, park space and a reasonable amount of new construction going up. Charlotte is so clean with its downtown district--very impressive. Plus, it has a lot of really great types of restaurant options. The rail system is so great to see--it will truly make Charlotte even more and more dense, and less and less reliant on solely the automobile and bus, as long as the city continues to expand it as ridership increases.

I am headed out to just explore tomorrow, since it is my last day here for a while. Today was to be that day, but it rained pretty heavily here in Charlotte all afternoon. Eager to check out the uptown district even more tomorrow, and get some good pics.
Thanks for the perception.

Check out the rail trail in SouthEnd also if you have time. NoDa is nice too. But SouthEnd is CLT’s next biggest urban hood. Both on the blue line. That is if you have time. The rail trail is pretty busy no matter the weather.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Thanks for the perception.

Check out the rail trail in SouthEnd also if you have time. NoDa is nice too. But SouthEnd is CLT’s next biggest urban hood. Both on the blue line. That is if you have time. The rail trail is pretty busy no matter the weather.
Ok, I definitely will give it a look. Gonna start out early tomorrow, and hit a good breakfast spot, go from there, just wander around.

Appreciate the tips! Such a cool downtown--really like it.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:02 PM

73 posts, read 115,205 times
Charlotte has like 8 buildings over 200 ft. under construction (550 Stonewall, LU1, LU2, Ally, JW Marriot, FNB, Market 42, Intercontinental), 2 buildings are set to start construction in a few months (new Duke headquarter building, Hawkins), with 2 others in planning phase (Moxy, Baldwin) and maybe 2 or 3 more are to be announced within 6 months, all over 200 ft tall. Can someone list what are being built in downtown Nashville? I temporarily live in Nashville on job assignment and drive on 440 everyday to get to work. Downtown Nashville looks amazing from 440 around exit 1 where it merges into I40. Looks like there is a lot going on by the number of cranes, but when I look on wiki, it lists only 3 or 4 buildings being built. I really like how dense downtown looks some certain angle, I just wish it has more height since you need to get close to see it. In Charlotte you can see downtown from many areas further out from the center.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:35 AM

367 posts, read 585,317 times
Whole Foods and Publiix are being built in downtown Nashville right this moment.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:40 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
The largest Whole Foods in the Southeast will be opening in midtown Atlanta soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City