Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 01:30 AM

923 posts, read 666,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielJ View Post
Yeah I'm concerned about that too. Tbh right now my preference is Ghanaian and Nigerian men and MD is a hotspot for them another reason I considered there.
A boat load of Nigerians and to a lesser degree Ghanaians.I know more than a few
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 08:47 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,575,946 times
Quote:
Yeah I'm concerned about that too. Tbh right now my preference is Ghanaian and Nigerian men and MD is a hotspot for them another reason I considered there.
Yea I'm African American, but I have numerous friends from both countries here in the DMV area. You wouldn't run out of that option for sure.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:59 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,360,306 times
I lived in both ATL and D.C.

D.C. has more cultural amenities but that's to be expected being the Capital City of a big country. But I left D.C. for Atlanta due to:

1. Cost of living was a good 20%-25% cheaper -housing and gas most notably;
2. Warmer weather, i.e. less snow dragging out my commute.
3. Closer to my home state saving on time and trip costs.
4. Better commuting times but still Atlanta is only slightly better than D.C. Both, geographically, are similarly laid out, i.e. a core city that is smaller than its surrounding suburbs with a river impacting travel time. You also need to be aware that in D.C. during rush hour, HOV Lanes are in effect for all highways feeding into the District for ALL lanes! You have to have THREE occupants in the vehicle!

Old 11-10-2018, 09:01 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,360,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
Not to mention the better economy and workforce. Atlanta is ok if you are looking for affordability and newer homes, but DC is so much better because what you mentioned. There are affordable places in the area but you may have to give up on distance, good schools, or size.
D.C. and "affordable" housing are MUTUALLY exclusive terms.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:51 AM

36 posts, read 31,617 times
Well I wasn't talking about DC but the affordable MD suburbs. This is such a hard decision. Hate that I don't have time to visit. I'm leaning more towards Raleigh right now though. I think I have enough info on all places now I just need to decide what to do from a personal standpoint.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Well I wasn't talking about DC but the affordable MD suburbs. This is such a hard decision. Hate that I don't have time to visit. I'm leaning more towards Raleigh right now though. I think I have enough info on all places now I just need to decide what to do from a personal standpoint.
It truly sounds like Raleigh is the right place for you.Personally I find Raleigh boring but if you as long as you can find good people to associate with,that wont be an issue.Even in cities like Atlanta where there is so much to do,having very few friends wont mean much.
Unless you plan on livng right in Raleigh its not going to matter much.DC on the other hand is more more vast and populated even in its suburbs.You cant find the same type of small town hamlets close to the city as you can in Atlanta

However(thinking out loud)Atlanta is a vast metro.If you don't HAVE to commute into the city ,you can find many exurbs that are nice,safe and quiet where you you really dont have to worry about the fast pace of the interstates.
Its a vast area and its harder to pinpoint which area would be the right fit but you have more diversity and for sure more options for things to do.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:13 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
I really hope you do go with Raleigh. It really hits that sweet spot of being relatively affordable (more than Atlanta and certainly more than the DMV) and safe with good schools and a great economy. You shouldn't have much of a problem at all finding work in your field after you finish your courses with all of the hospitals and healthcare facilities in the area. It's relatively close to other places for weekend getaways and DC is about 4-5 hours away and there's much to do in the area itself which includes neighboring Durham and Chapel Hill. As a smaller metro, traffic will be MUCH less worse and more manageable than either Atlanta or the DMV. I think you'll be satisfied with the quality of living there. You may want to visit the local forum for the Raleigh area for more detailed information.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:39 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,057,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germansoldiers View Post
I've heard negative things about the culture/social life of Atlanta. That if you aren't religious (particularly evangelical protestant) or Republican or don't speak English well then you are excluded.

Religion plays a massive role in the culture of Atlanta. There are churches on nearly every corner. I tell someone I'm atheist and they expect me to have cloven hooves. It's almost a medieval mindset.

And while people up North may appear colder or more distant it's because they aren't fake. They don't pull the two-faced "well bless your heart" game that Southerners do when they essentially tell you to f*ck off.

I was watching CNN the other night and saw the archetypical Atlantan: Amy Kremer. From the gaudy pageant show makeup, the puffy unattractive facial features, she looks like all the other "white privilege" females who call 911 on black people. I mean, just look at her. Blech.

And yes, she is a native Atlantan. There are clones of Amy Krispy Kremer all over the place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Kremer
Well since I am a Christ follower/disciple, I think that's why Georgia is just right for me. But there are plenty of non-Christians in Atlanta who are in need of salvation. I can only hope and pray you accept Him as your savior as well, and everyone else on here who has not done so yet.

Amy Kremer is not the best example of a protypical Atlantan. Georgia still has some of the most beautiful women in the world, especially the Christian ones because they have some type of glow to them.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germansoldiers View Post
I've heard negative things about the culture/social life of Atlanta. That if you aren't religious (particularly evangelical protestant) or Republican or don't speak English well then you are excluded.

Religion plays a massive role in the culture of Atlanta. There are churches on nearly every corner. I tell someone I'm atheist and they expect me to have cloven hooves. It's almost a medieval mindset.

And while people up North may appear colder or more distant it's because they aren't fake. They don't pull the two-faced "well bless your heart" game that Southerners do when they essentially tell you to f*ck off.

I was watching CNN the other night and saw the archetypical Atlantan: Amy Kremer. From the gaudy pageant show makeup, the puffy unattractive facial features, she looks like all the other "white privilege" females who call 911 on black people. I mean, just look at her. Blech.

And yes, she is a native Atlantan. There are clones of Amy Krispy Kremer all over the place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Kremer
Lol
Wow
You really have a problem. All you just said was absolute hogwash.
Something is really wrong with you to be so focised on hating an inanimate object like a major city with the 3rd or 4th highest transplant population.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:27 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Lol
Wow
You really have a problem. All you just said was absolute hogwash.
Something is really wrong with you to be so focised on hating an inanimate object like a major city with the 3rd or 4th highest transplant population.
I get sick of the veiled racism of many of these White progressives. Atlanta itself is majority Black and the metro has one of the largest Black populations in the country, but Black folks are invisible to him. This Amy chick is supposedly the "archetypical Atlantan"--not Andrew Young or John Lewis or Stacey Abrams or Keisha Lance Bottoms or any of the myriad of influential Black politicians Atlanta is known for. GTFOH....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City