Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 02:59 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
As for this, Raleigh. It fascinates me how the city was essentially off the beaten path in many ways and Greensboro was the #2 city in NC for many years as recently as 1980, and then Raleigh exploded in growth, so the number of northern transplants definitely have more of an impact than CLT or ATL, which tended to be more balanced in terms of northerners and southerners who've relocated to those cities. Big Aristotle definitely broke it down in his excellent post as to why.
I don't recall exactly when this was, but there was a stretch of time where Raleigh was the fastest growing city in the country and it wasn't even connected through to the Interstate system yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 01:22 PM

1,376 posts, read 928,163 times
Quote:
Nope, not outside of the entertainment industry...I used to live in Atlanta and Los Angeles, and most transplants in ATL who didn't migrate there from the South tend to be either from NY, NJ, Michigan, Ohio, or Pennsylvania. West coasters were way more down the scale in comparison. Californians in particular really don't go further East than Texas when they relocate to the south (there are historical ties between both states). Also, West Coast chains don't really seem to last very long in Atlanta compared to other metros where they expand, particularly in Texas. Don't get me wrong, there are ex-West Coasters who call ATL home, but they're pretty small in comparison to the amount of Northeasterners and Midwesterners who have migrated to the ATL area over the last 40-50 years, not to mention the southern transplants from other states. But when I lived in Los Angeles, Atlanta was not on the radar for many people. Too far East, and too "southern" for the average Southern Californian. While I know SoCal is not representative of the entire West Coast, but the most significant population center on that end of the country, and the amount of Californians I met in ATL were nowhere near the level of the other regions.

As for this, Raleigh. It fascinates me how the city was essentially off the beaten path in many ways and Greensboro was the #2 city in NC for many years as recently as 1980, and then Raleigh exploded in growth, so the number of northern transplants definitely have more of an impact than CLT or ATL, which tended to be more balanced in terms of northerners and southerners who've relocated to those cities. Big Aristotle definitely broke it down in his excellent post as to why.
Really? I know a lot of Koreans from LA/Orange County who have moved to Atlanta. I don't know about other nationalities but a fair number of Koreans have moved out here from the west.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:41 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Really? I know a lot of Koreans from LA/Orange County who have moved to Atlanta. I don't know about other nationalities but a fair number of Koreans have moved out here from the west.
Exactly how many is "a lot"? That's highly subjective.

Be that as it may, the vast majority of transplants to the ATL area from outside the South tend to come there from the Midwest and Northeast more than the West Coast. I'm not saying that there's no transplants from the West Coast in Atlanta, since people move there from all over the country, but West Coasters are vastly outnumbered by people from the Northeast and Midwest. Also consider a lot of Koreans are moving to the ATL area from the traditional East Coast strongholds like the DC area and Bergen County. I used to go to Gwinnett County and John's Creek quite a bit when I lived in ATL, and the Korean communities there feel way more like Annandale, Ellicott City or Rockville than Anaheim or Irvine.

I have a link to the County migration maps. Just by sheer size of being a county of 10 million people means that Los Angeles County exports a lot of people in general, but when you amalgamate the East Coast and Midwestern Counties, they outnumber the number of people migrating into the Atlanta area over the West Coast:

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/blog...migration.html

Old 06-02-2020, 03:45 PM

1,376 posts, read 928,163 times
Quote:
Exactly how many is "a lot"? That's highly subjective.

Be that as it may, the vast majority of transplants to the ATL area from outside the South tend to come there from the Midwest and Northeast more than the West Coast. I'm not saying that there's no transplants from the West Coast in Atlanta, since people move there from all over the country, but West Coasters are vastly outnumbered by people from the Northeast and Midwest. Also consider a lot of Koreans are moving to the ATL area from the traditional East Coast strongholds like the DC area and Bergen County. I used to go to Gwinnett County and John's Creek quite a bit when I lived in ATL, and the Korean communities there feel way more like Annandale, Ellicott City or Rockville than Anaheim or Irvine.

I have a link to the County migration maps. Just by sheer size of being a county of 10 million people means that Los Angeles County exports a lot of people in general, but when you amalgamate the East Coast and Midwestern Counties, they outnumber the number of people migrating into the Atlanta area over the West Coast:

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/blog...migration.html
By a lot, I mean going to various Korean Atlanta churches / and meeting new people and asking where they relocated from. Also posts from the GT KSA Atlanta community board (where a lot of Atlanta Koreans post).

Old 07-13-2021, 01:42 PM

771 posts, read 626,714 times
Out of the three metros in question, it has to be the Triangle.

A lot of people forget that the Triangle was a small metro for many, many years. It wasn't until the establishment of Research Triangle Park circa 1960 that the area began to grow and attract transplants, mainly from New York and throughout the Northeast. Before that, both Raleigh and Durham were relatively small, and they were overshadowed by the Triad cities further west (Greensboro, Winston), where North Carolina's traditional industries (textiles, tobacco, furniture manufacturing) were primarily concentrated. Therefore, the Triangle didn't really have a lot of North Carolina natives to begin with.

However, I'd argue that Virginia's major cities have more Northeastern influences than North Carolina's cities. Geographically, the Triangle is comfortably in the South. On the contrary, a city such as Richmond is further north and closer to the Northeast megalopolis.

Old 07-14-2021, 08:05 AM

771 posts, read 626,714 times
Even though the Triangle is strongly influenced by the Northeast, people in smaller cities and towns across eastern North Carolina (Smithfield, Rocky Mount, Goldsboro, etc.) view Raleigh as their closest "big city," and Durham is in a similar boat in regards to towns further north (Roxboro, South Boston, Oxford, etc.). Therefore, it's not uncommon to find transplants from rural North Carolina in the Triangle, on top of transplants from the Northeast. Yes, the Triangle is strongly influenced by the Northeast, but it's not completely devoid of southern influences at the same time.

Atlanta and Charlotte are more or less equal. Both cities are deeper in the South, and they were well-established cities before the Sunbelt boom, unlike the Triangle which was puny before transplants poured in. As a result, I would say Atlanta and Charlotte are less influenced by the Northeast.

Old 07-25-2021, 04:00 PM

413 posts, read 437,991 times
My Aunt moved from New Jersey to Durham she loves it and wishes she made the jump sooner...there doing something right down there I will say the change feels more pronounced imo then in Charlotte or Atlanta especially the latter perhaps because Atlanta is so big time already.....don't sleep on CTL a ton of transplant out there and alot of them like the Triangle also from the Northeast...it was kind of funny being down there yet seeing so many NY,NJ,PA licenses plates etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City