Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 08:19 PM

8,805 posts, read 10,252,600 times

Advertisements

Cary only accepts Northeastern transplants. If you're a Midwestern transplant but you have an uncle from Boston then you're welcome there too. Everyone else has to move to Johnston County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 09:20 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,186,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Cary only accepts Northeastern transplants. If you're a Midwestern transplant but you have an uncle from Boston then you're welcome there too. Everyone else has to move to Johnston County
It's not called the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees for nothing!
That acronym never gets old! My family moved to the Triangle from California, so we weren't allowed in Cary. We ended up in Raleigh.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:34 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,949,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
It is Rawlee/Derm and not even close primarily due to scale. All 3 are proper candidates but here's the rub. Atlanta is an international city that serves as the defacto capital of the south. A regional/national hub and centerpiece of the cultural south with a large volume of transplants from all over the US and world. On a smaller scale, Charlotte has similar characteristics and mimics Atlanta in many ways, though it doesn't have the educational institution proliferation and historical prominence of Atlanta. It's a wannabee, not in the negative sense but rather aspires to have that notoriety, and able to make it's mark not being the state's capital, historically or nationally well-known.

Then there's Mayberry RFD Rawlee (stick with me here, Raleigh the city, not RDU).. the essence of Tobacco Road. I mean to be real about it, Raleigh not long ago had about the same population as Greensboro (circa 1970). And actually I think the Triads metro population was larger than the Triangle at that time (The CSA splitting of both the Triad and Triangle MSA's didn't come about till later on). Raleigh wasn't even served by an interstate until the extension of I-40 in the 1980s. Durham had I-85 and I-95 bypasses Raleigh 25 miles east of the city.

RTP lead by IBM totally transformed the area given the 10s of thousands of transplants that date back to the 60s/70s/80s. Someone mentioned Eastern NC migration which is absolutely true. However, this novel trend came about after the RTP got vouched by IBM as a legitimate workforce player. IBM spearheaded a massive invasion from the Kingston, Poughkeepsie, etc area. Folks who didn't need the big city to satisfy their QOL, ready to get the hell of there and head to hickville for the lower cost of living, slower-paced lifestyle and warmer weather to boot.

The RTP/IBM relationship paved the way many other industries which led to career opportunities for Eastern NCers in the 80s, 90s to date. Prior to that, most Eastern North Carolinians migrated to Northeastern metros (primarily DC) for career moves, even after attending school in the Triad or Triangle. Keep in perspective that the action was I-95 North...DC, etc. Atlanta? All I knew about it was a big city in the south and they had the Braves. First visit to Atlanta was in 1990s...post collegiate years and I grew up in eastern NC. And Charlotte had Carowinds, that's it.

So, in terms of overall northern influence on a southern metro with respect to scale, culture and concentration, it is hands-down Raleigh/Durham. Neither Charlotte nor Atlanta has a city comparable to Cary, NC with respect to a city being completely engulfed and dominated by a specific culture. To the dismay and chagrin of many natives. Not to say it hasn't happened to an extent, for example, Alpharetta, GA or Concord, NC and other parts of those great metros. It just isn't readily apparent like what happened in RDU due to the scale of the transformation.

BTW, since then, I have lived in Charlotte and made numerous trips to Atlanta to hangout, work etc. I am very familiar with both metros now....still my vote on this one if interpreting the poll correctly is RDU.
Excellent, very persuasive post!

Old 05-26-2020, 10:44 PM

5,841 posts, read 5,645,964 times
None of these cities feel Northern lmao. The transplants assimilate, not the other way around...

Lived in all three, it's about equal for all, in that all have similar degree of northern transplants...

Old 05-26-2020, 11:32 PM

6,750 posts, read 6,744,776 times
They all feel more like minivan suburban metros more than anything else. I find them all kind of boring more than Northern.
Plus, Northern accents have become way more common in all three of them. Not just from the transplants, but from kids growing up there now without Southern accents.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:31 AM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
They all feel more like minivan suburban metros more than anything else. I find them all kind of boring more than Northern.
Plus, Northern accents have become way more common in all three of them. Not just from the transplants, but from kids growing up there now without Southern accents.
The kids growing up in these areas don't really have Northern accents, but more neutral accents with maybe a hint of Southern.

Old 05-27-2020, 04:04 AM

16,711 posts, read 29,555,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Excellent, very persuasive post!
Yes, good post.

I would say East Cobb is the most Cary-characteristic in Metro Atlanta.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:54 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,564,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Well, if those kids are children of transplants then they'll have some diluted hybrid accent but still can be classified as Southern.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:51 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Are there any thriving metros in the South without a noticeable "northern" influence? Maybe Greenville?

Old 05-27-2020, 07:20 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,401,295 times
Atlanta is super southern IMO.

I will say, when I think of the south, I think mostly of VA, NC, SC, GA, FL and I think of Nashville, Houston, Dallas, Austin, New Orleans.

But I have a different view of what “southern” is than maybe people outside the region. I think of booming economies, muggy summers, modernity, growth, cookie cutter suburbs, cleanliness, shopping centers all look new generally, lots of beautiful landscape, food, etc. I also think of coke. VA is where things like food, religion (way more Catholics) and northern favorites chains are found. Their obsession with Dunkin Coffee over sweet tea, etc.

I feel like for some, southern means “redneck” and “which is most influenced by the north” can sometimes feel like “which is the least redneck”. Not saying that’s the case here but. I’d have to say Atlanta is very southern. Charlotte and Raleigh too.

I’m the only southerner in my family. Family is from the Northern US and Brazil. A mix between broken English, Strong northern accents and I speak Portuguese fluently. I ended up with a slight but noticeable southern accent and it drives me crazy. I hate having a southern accent mostly because I do feel like it’s a sign of less intelligence.... I know that’s wrong of me but it is so annoying. I mention that because all of those moving to the south are going to have southern kids. Who grow up in the south. Who have friends, school, history, dating in the south. They’ll be southerners....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City