Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 07:35 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,980,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier de Saint-George View Post
Well, if those kids are children of transplants then they'll have some diluted hybrid accent but still can be classified as Southern.
I'd imagine that it would sound like a Cincinnati (or South Midland) type accent more or less. Nowadays, Raleigh and Charlotte are just more "Middle America" with traditional southern values fading into the background, while Atlanta is a mix of Middle American and global values (but still with that tinge of southerness). They're certainly less "country" (At least in the suburban/urban areas among the under 40 crowd) then they were in terms of the "honky tonk" lifestyle of listening to guitar-strummed songs with basic chords and sappy lyrics, biscuits, fried chicken & sausage (not just Chick-Fil-A), and watching movies with horses, guns, and cowboy hats. There's more of a cross-cultural exchange of multiple races as well compared to the past. This is especially true in Atlanta.

But honestly, given that Raleigh is still well over 200 miles from the Mason-Dixon line as the crow flies, true Northern influence like a high Puerto Rican population, unions, Italian-American enclaves, large non-Christian communities, is very minor. That's too far away for an easy day tirp (Richmond is probably about as far as you'll get from the Triangle for a reasonable day trip, and even that is still quite southern). NC outside of Charlotte and RDU is still very southern though in a traditional sense I just described. I'd replace "Northern" with "outside" though. The West Coast influence is probably just as strong as the NY influence in Atlanta for that matter.

Last edited by Borntoolate85; 05-27-2020 at 07:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 08:21 AM

4,182 posts, read 2,901,184 times
There was a time when Canadian presence in Raleigh was palpable. Now that was about as northern as it gets, but that was back in the 90s. For now, it seems that parts of Wake County are simply suburbs of Pittsburgh.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:25 AM

6,414 posts, read 5,550,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It's not called the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees for nothing!
That acronym never gets old! My family moved to the Triangle from California, so we weren't allowed in Cary. We ended up in Raleigh.
Ironically the biggest exception to this is that probably the "least northern-influenced" area of the urban Triangle is ITB Raleigh. And in ITB Raleigh they say Cary stands for Can't Afford Raleigh Yet.

I think the Triangle's yankee-dom will seem much less pronounced in the next decade or so as I've seen the amount of transplants shift from overwhelmingly northeasterners to a decent mix of people coming from NY/NJ yes but also Florida (native Floridians, not just the "halfbackers") , California (especially Bay Area; strong tech-ties), Texas, and especially international migration largely from East Asia and the Indian subcontinent.

My parents are yankee transplants from Upstate NY (nowhere near NYC) my siblings and I all grew up here (two out of three of us were born up north) I've been told I sound northern by native southerners and southern by northern relatives (they tell me I have an accent as they stress the hell out of their vowels "oh my gaaaahd its sooo haaaaaht I need to drink a paaaaahp")... pretty sure I'm closer to Newscaster accent than anything else.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:51 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,573,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
I'd imagine that it would sound like a Cincinnati (or South Midland) type accent more or less. Nowadays, Raleigh and Charlotte are just more "Middle America" with traditional southern values fading into the background, while Atlanta is a mix of Middle American and global values (but still with that tinge of southerness). They're certainly less "country" (At least in the suburban/urban areas among the under 40 crowd) then they were in terms of the "honky tonk" lifestyle of listening to guitar-strummed songs with basic chords and sappy lyrics, biscuits, fried chicken & sausage (not just Chick-Fil-A), and watching movies with horses, guns, and cowboy hats. There's more of a cross-cultural exchange of multiple races as well compared to the past. This is especially true in Atlanta.

But honestly, given that Raleigh is still well over 200 miles from the Mason-Dixon line as the crow flies, true Northern influence like a high Puerto Rican population, unions, Italian-American enclaves, large non-Christian communities, is very minor. That's too far away for an easy day tirp (Richmond is probably about as far as you'll get from the Triangle for a reasonable day trip, and even that is still quite southern). NC outside of Charlotte and RDU is still very southern though in a traditional sense I just described. I'd replace "Northern" with "outside" though. The West Coast influence is probably just as strong as the NY influence in Atlanta for that matter.
I agree with most of this. The West Coast influences in Atlanta are small and most Westerners won't make it past Texas. ATL do have a ton of people from OH, MI, and IL from the Midwest & NY, NJ, and PA from up north... Not sure which region has more but they're over the West Coast easily.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:03 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,425,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Cary only accepts Northeastern transplants. If you're a Midwestern transplant but you have an uncle from Boston then you're welcome there too. Everyone else has to move to Johnston County
There are actually many people from outside the NE in the Triangle.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:23 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,710,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
There was a time when Canadian presence in Raleigh was palpable. Now that was about as northern as it gets, but that was back in the 90s. For now, it seems that parts of Wake County are simply suburbs of Pittsburgh.
Lmao what suburbs of Pittsburgh? No. I'm not even sure how these correlations are even being drawn...

There is a lot of northern transplants/people with northern ties in The Triangle. Nothing around here looks like the Northeast, the accent here is clearly southern, the characteristics of the population (dining, style/decor, etc) is southern...

The funny thing is out and about I have never heard a single person here say anything about this area feels like the Northeast. What would City-Data be without faithful Triangle embellishing...

Old 05-27-2020, 12:07 PM

21,815 posts, read 13,009,750 times
That’s all fine and dandy... but can I get gandules, a coolata with extra extra and a roast beef with mustid at the same intersection?

Old 05-27-2020, 12:08 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,710,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
That’s all fine and dandy... but can I get gandules, a coolata with extra extra and a roast beef with mustid at the same intersection?
Lmao nope, people around here would be asking what the **** you're talking about---->including many of the alleged "transplanted northerners"...

Old 05-27-2020, 12:16 PM

21,815 posts, read 13,009,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Lmao nope, people around here would be asking what the **** you're talking about---->including many of the alleged "transplanted northerners"...
Lol I joke I joke, southern food is better anyway.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:44 PM

4,182 posts, read 2,901,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Lmao what suburbs of Pittsburgh?
The ones full of Pittsburghers. They are everywhere, they feel second only to upstater NYers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City