Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 04:40 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times

Advertisements

I have a teenage niece who lives in a small town in Southern California who refuses to visit NYC because she claims it is too polluted for her. On the other hand, when her family visits L.A. she does go with them. So do you think that L.A. is less polluted than NYC? Would prefer visiting L.A. or NYC when considering the pollution levels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 06:12 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,172 times
NYC easy. LA geographically speaking, is special that it traps smog because of the mountains. Add the land-sea breeze, and you have a perfect situation that can keep smog building in the valley for days on end. NYC does not have the same setup. While smog can definetly form in NYC, it's more likely to be pushed out by winds or rain will clear it out.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:52 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Most of California, except the northern part north of SF is much more polluted than NYC. Forget about LA, I think even places like Fresno are more polluted than NYC. It has to do with geography, lack of rain, and wind patterns, not so much population density.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:51 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
LA has worse air pollution. NYC has worse water pollution.

But neither city is like Beijing or anything like that, and both are perfectly fine to visit. I wouldn't listen to your teenage niece on this. She's just young and misinformed.

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 02-07-2017 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 02-07-2017, 01:41 PM

508 posts, read 503,686 times
This is like asking which gargoyle is uglier.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:50 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Your niece has no idea what she's talking about haha. I have really bad asthma. Almost died a few times as a child growing up in Los Angeles. I'm better now at 24 years old. However, every time I go home to LA, I develop at least some slight breathing problems and have to carry my inhaler. When I go to NYC, the only breathing struggle is when the heat index is over 100 and you're standing waiting for a subway in the underground jungle humidity. Besides that, I've never once had any trouble breathing in NYC. My asthma only acts up in LA now.

Sorry to be blunt, but your niece is very ill-informed and doesn't have a clue about what she's talking about.

Neither is "clean" per se, but here are cold, hard facts. LA is worse in every category than NYC.
Compare Your Air | American Lung Association

NYC ranks #14 in ozone. LA is #1 lol. Pretty strong evidence there.
NYC ranks #24 in short-term particle pollution. LA is #9. (Short term: "Particle pollution can be harmful even if it is inhaled over just a few hours or days, even if the year-round averages are low. "Short-term levels" refers to just such spikes. These represent levels averaged over a 24-hour period.")
NYC is not even ranked in long-term particle pollution. LA is #4. (Long term: "Year-round" refers to an annual average level that represents the concentration of particles day-in-and-day-out.")
Most Polluted Cities | American Lung Association

Old 02-08-2017, 01:38 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,677 times
IMO, she probably meant more along the lines of "dirty", which fits NYC much closer. That being said, she's still being ridiculous.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:40 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
LA is the most polluted major city in the country.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:55 PM

23 posts, read 53,164 times
While I have not been to New York City, I have been to cities that have similar weather and a lot of traffic, and the air quality in those cities were never anywhere near as bad as it is in Los Angeles.

Where I currently live, the air quality is horrible, and I thought that it couldn't be much worse in Los Angeles, but I was wrong. Strange enough, I could breath much better in Anaheim and Orange, at least more so then I do in the area I live, and way better then I did in Los Angeles.

Even bassed on monitoring systems, New York City has better air quality then Los Angeles, part of that also has to do with one being closer to the ocean, and the other being surounded by mountains.

Maybe its a certain type of pollutant that bothers her?

Old 02-08-2017, 07:50 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
NYC easy. LA geographically speaking, is special that it traps smog because of the mountains. Add the land-sea breeze, and you have a perfect situation that can keep smog building in the valley for days on end. NYC does not have the same setup. While smog can definetly form in NYC, it's more likely to be pushed out by winds or rain will clear it out.
This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City