Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:34 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,607 times

Advertisements

Hi there. Currently living in Atlanta. I've met a couple of people from Chicago here who say they won't go back. Specifics were not given as to why. I, being a city girl myself, fell in love with Chicago when i visited last year (i had been there before many years ago and was also impressed back then). For anyone who knows both cities very well, preferably, has lived in both, what are the pros and cons of each. How do they compare? For Atlantans moving to Chicago, how did you adjust to the weather? I'm trying to hard to like Atlanta (2yrs now) but i'm just not feeling it. When i went to Chicago, i felt this energy in me, it was amazing. It just felt "right." Call me superstitious or whatever, but i'm one of those people that believes that every place has a certain vibe or energy and we automatically will feel better in places where we are in tune with that same energy. If you're not into all of that hocus pocus, never mind, just tell me about Chicago vs. Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 10:14 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,856 times
I am originally from St. Louis but have lived in Atlanta for the past year or so. I am planning on moving to Chicago in a couple of months to do my masters. While I have not lived in Chicago I have spent a lot of time there and believe I can give a little bit of insight.

I completely agree with you on the energy level of Chicago vs. Atlanta. In Atlanta, you dont really get a sense of excitement of living here. Theres not really anything to be proud of (except maybe the weather). Chicago itself seems to have a flow that makes it pretty laid back for such a big city (I compare it a bit to Melbourne in that aspect but nobody seems to agree with me.) To me, Atlanta just seems like a giant suburb.

The weather is going to be a huge obstacle to overcome. I would recommend moving there around May. That way, you can see how great chicago can be before the 9 months of winter hell set in. Summer in Chicago is better than any other city I have been to in the United States.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:58 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
Hi there.

Hello! ChicagoRon checking in!

Currently living in Atlanta. I've met a couple of people from Chicago here who say they won't go back.

That's their loss. Not to mention you never know why folks say the things they say. Maybe they just had a rotten life or something. I certainly WOULD NOT listen to them. Chicago is a great city. It's not heaven and I don't think you expect it to be but nevertheless it is a great place to build a career and life. Chicago is going through wonderful changes and all that come here and get involved with the city are sure to benefit!

I, being a city girl myself, fell in love with Chicago when i visited last year (i had been there before many years ago and was also impressed back then).

Chicago can pull you in and cause anyone that loves city to fall in love!

For anyone who knows both cities very well, preferably, has lived in both, what are the pros and cons of each.

You cannot compare Chicago to any other city in the country. I always say Chicago is the little sister to NYC and cousins to Toronto and London. You cannot compare Atlanta to Chicago. Atlanta is more of a town than a city. Atlanta DOES NOT have a vibrant downtown not does it have the publit transportation system as Chi. It certainly is not as vibrant as Chicago. Not by far.

How do they compare?

They don't

how did you adjust to the weather?

Ok, as it relates to the weather. Chicago can get really cold but you can tolerate it. It is not as bad as people make it out to be,really. As of late we have not had bad winters like in years past. Just dress warm and you'll be ok. May thru October weather is just wonderful!!!

I'm trying to hard to like Atlanta (2yrs now) but i'm just not feeling it.

Well move on! Chicago is in fact a international city. People travel from all over the world just to visit the city. There is a reason for this!!! If you don't like Atlanta get out before you become miserable.

When i went to Chicago, i felt this energy in me, it was amazing. It just felt "right."

That's because it is full of energy. I would visit the city and do NON-Tourist things, that way you can get a feel for how living in the city would be.

Call me superstitious or whatever, but i'm one of those people that believes that every place has a certain vibe or energy and we automatically will feel better in places where we are in tune with that same energy.

I agree 100%

If you're not into all of that hocus pocus, never mind, just tell me about Chicago vs. Atlanta.

I have never lived in Atlanta I am a Chicagoan but I will say you can't go wrong with this city!!

If you want more specific things answered send me a direct message. It's hard to answer questions like yours because there are so many things to cover. If you need other things answered just ask.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:03 PM

Skip,

The weather is going to be a huge obstacle to overcome.

No it's not. It's not that serious!!

I would recommend moving there around May. That way, you can see how great chicago can be before the 9 months of winter hell set in.

You need to stop it. Chicago does not have 9 months of winter hell. Gee-whiz. If the city was so bad why do 3 million people live here in the city and millions more outside of the city? Why is there so much development? There are new housing developments going up all over downtown and other places. These places are not being built because people are leaving. There is a demand for housing because people are moving here!!

Summer in Chicago is better than any other city I have been to in the United States.

This I agree with 100%

Old 04-06-2008, 03:25 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,607 times
ChicagoRon, you've got me crackin up over here. I have to admit, compared to other cities i've been to, Chicago is way on the top of my list as one of the best the U.S. has to offer. I haven't been there long enough to say it's better than NY, but just from the surface, it's so much cleaner and prettier. I've relocated twice already and so afraid to move again, especially not knowing anybody there. I will have to visit a few more times and see how I feel.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:02 PM

ChicagoRon, you've got me crackin up over here.

I have to admit, compared to other cities i've been to, Chicago is way on the top of my list as one of the best the U.S. has to offer.

It should be on top of your list! If I were not here I'd be in London,NYC or Toronto.

I haven't been there long enough to say it's better than NY,

I don't think it's better but it's more managable and has just as much to offer. NYC can be overwhelming but still a great city!! I may eventually move there.

but just from the surface, it's so much cleaner and prettier.

Yup! Chicago prides itself on being a clean city. Now don't get me wrong it has it's dirty parts but i don't think you have any reason to travel in those areas to begain with. I am a native and I never travel to "shaddy" areas. I have no need to.

I've relocated twice already and so afraid to move again, especially not knowing anybody there. I will have to visit a few more times and see how I feel.

If there is anything I can help you with let me know! Send me a direct message and we'll talk more. Again, plese don't listen to those nay-sayers,and you tell them I said it!

Old 04-06-2008, 08:33 PM

732 posts, read 2,981,160 times
Well, I lived in Atlanta for 15 years before moving to Missouri for 8 years and then back to Chicago (after a 30-year hiatus) so I think I'm qualified to comment.

So, looking somewhat objectively, here's my pros and cons of each city:

Atlanta:
- mild winter, oppressive summer (watering and burning restrictions)
- tornadoes
- mass transit isn't entirely worthless, but is nowhere near the scale in Chicago, so a car is virtually a necessity if timely mobility is important
- car-friendly; parking is rarely a problem wherever you go
- lower cost of living and lower sales taxes, although housing is as about as expensive as Chicago
- housing and population is much less dense especially within the city when compared to Chicago
- the zoo is actually pretty good
- airport is good but a pain to get to if you live on the north side of the metro area and have a flight near rush hour
- much more uptight race-wise
- blue laws and Southern Baptists rule the day on Sundays
- very good-old-boy network in a lot of areas
- some neighborhood cohesion but nearly as well defined
- very suburban and sprawled, even in the city to a certain extent
- neighborhood shops are generally of the quaint/eclectic variety, strip malls are the places you get real shopping accomplished
- lack of centralized planning of growth and street layout
- always a Wal-Mart nearby (could be a plus or minus depending on your POV)
- very corporate culture
- fair weather sports fans (pro sports anyway, college fans are rabid especially in football season)
- plenty of well-maintained highways, and they're nearly all free of tolls
- vibrant music and arts scene
- not much to do for free

Chicago:
- winters can be brutal, but summers aren't too bad
- drivers love their horns
- not always the best variety of grocery shopping available
- expressways always seem to be clogged
- pretty much every type of cuisine covered by at least ten or eleven restaurants
- you can live without a car
- closely-knit neighborhoods and lots of parks
- lots of trash
- the library
- the museums
- the lake
- just when you thought you've been taxed to death, there's a new tax
- extraordinarily corrupt political system
- true melting pot of cultures
- hard to get lost
- more or less buzzing with activity 24/7

Neither place is perfect. If you're a "city person", Chicago is going to appeal to you much more than Atlanta. If you like a more relaxed lifestyle and love your car, Atlanta may be your place (about the entire northern third of Georgia can be called "metro Atlanta").

Old 04-06-2008, 09:24 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,334 times
I grew up in the Chicago area and lived in Stone Mountain for about 2-3 years (worked in downtown Atlanta).

Disclaimer: What follows is a matter of personal taste/opinion.

I didn't like Atlanta on the whole. It felt soulless. I nicknamed it "Transplanta" because it was so rare to meet someone in Atlanta who was actually from there. You had to go out to the sticks to meet true locals.

And I think that's what the problem was.

How else do you explain empty seats in the stadium when the Braves were in the playoffs? Nobody cared. They weren't from there. Sad.

Also, I found the whole Buckhead, Alpharetta nouveau-whatever development very distasteful. I had to really search to find a bar that had been around for more than 15 years. And gated communities? Ick.

Little Five Points was cool. And East Atlanta (? not sure if that's what it was called) was cool. But you had to work too hard to find places like that and they were few and far between.

As for the weather, February sucks in Chicago. You don't go out. August sucks in Atlanta. You don't go out.

Pros for Atlanta:

Flowers bloom in February and March
Waffle House
Guys selling bags of boiled peanuts
Transvestitutes soliciting tricks on Ponce de Leon (just kidding, but it was interesting)

Chicago has a lot of downsides. But it also has a lot of pride and a soul.

Two cents. Re-read disclaimer above if you love Atlanta.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:11 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
I've heard from a few African-Americans that said they liked the African-American community and culture of Atlanta better than northern cities. There's sort of an attitude out there that Atlanta is a "black city", and is very welcoming to African Americans. But racisim is alive and well in Atlanta, and Chicago as well.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:58 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepreacherswife View Post
- not always the best variety of grocery shopping available
Nice post, preacherswife, but I've gotta say, this is oddly the one part to which I really took exception. Relatively close to my apartment I have the usual Jewel-Osco and Dominicks, but I'm also not far from a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Treasure Island, etc. There are several ethnic/produce grocers in my neighborhood where you can get prepared foods from most continents. They set up a farmers market on my block on Tuesdays during the summer and fall and I can buy fresh produce from all over the region.

I think between all that I have better access to groceries than just about any city in which I've ever lived (including Atlanta) and better than most that I've visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City