Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2018, 12:16 AM

911 posts, read 2,158,018 times

Advertisements

To raise a family... Also any predictions on the future of these cities, say in 20 years or so? Economy, crime, demographics, population shifts, etc...
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 07:37 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,536,517 times
I like both, but would choose Roanoke. They rank better overall in my rankings. Savannah: More recreational assets, beaches, growing faster, slightly better economy, great history. Roanoke: Great 4-season climate, noticeably lower crime rate, pretty mountain setting, fewer rough looking areas of town, lower cost of living.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:16 AM

9,689 posts, read 9,427,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I like both, but would choose Roanoke. They rank better overall in my rankings. Savannah: More recreational assets, beaches, growing faster, slightly better economy, great history. Roanoke: Great 4-season climate, noticeably lower crime rate, pretty mountain setting, fewer rough looking areas of town, lower cost of living.
I agree. I would choose Roanoke. I like the location and scenery. It is a clean city with not many run down areas like Savannah. It is located in a progressive state.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:57 PM

23,489 posts, read 44,146,303 times
Roanoke is a nice enough town, but I fail to see how it is even remotely comparable to Savannah and environs.
If Roanoke is your bag, more power to you. But few cities I know can put on a charm offensive like Savannah can.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:23 PM

16,714 posts, read 29,564,319 times
Savannah.

(And I like Roanoke as well...but, Savannah.)

Old 12-08-2018, 07:33 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,027,279 times
Roanoke is the winner given your criteria in my opinion....especially considering the economic perspectives of housing/other cost of living factors.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:35 PM

37,898 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Roanoke is the winner given your criteria in my opinion....especially considering the economic perspectives of housing/other cost of living factors.
I think downtown Savannah and beachfront properties skew the housing costs for Savannah. Outside of that, things are probably a bit more comparable between the two cities in that category.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:29 AM

3,169 posts, read 2,222,857 times
Coastal metropolitan areas in the Southeast tend to be susceptible to tropical weather systems. Savannah is actually in a better position compared to its peer cities, as the Atlantic Coast bends further west in Georgia, thus reducing the exposure to such storms a little. Otherwise summers are just as intensely hot and humid as anywhere else in the Deep South, and certainly more so than Roanoke.

The demographic profiles of Savannah and Roanoke are rather different. Savannah is considerably younger and has a larger nonwhite population, although the city of Roanoke is fairly diverse. Metro Roanoke and western Virginia in general have a very high median age, so the priorities of young families and children may not be emphasized as much. Around Savannah the presence of colleges and the military, in addition to the large tourism industry and cultural scene, draw more young residents.

Roanoke is certainly in a picturesque setting, but the loss of many corporate jobs with Norfolk Southern consolidating towards Norfolk and Atlanta, and Advance Auto Parts moving its headquarters to Raleigh, raises some red flags. Virginia is an increasingly progressive state in general, but the western sections are rather marginalized with most growth and development occurring in the Washington suburbs, Richmond, Charlottesville and the Tidewater. Just a few points to keep in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City