Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 07:19 PM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
That's also the way I see it.
Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 07:26 PM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I'm not buying this for a second. The Tennessean and the local media certainly are abuzz...
Local excitement-shaming doesn't win you any reps here. Minimizing Amazon's announcement does not help your argument. Nashville has many other things going, and you would know that since you are a loyal follower our local media.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:49 PM

592 posts, read 593,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
By County, city, urban area, inner ring neighborhoods, downtown, the county, the entire city Charlotte is more dense. There urban area/downtown area, CLT is adding more and densiyfing more but Nashville posters always bring Charlotte into the mix posting false claims. If you don’t know Charlotte, then don’t post assertions about it. Just ask. Maybe someone informed can say “yeah, Downtown Charlotte is adding more people than Nashville, but Nashville is completely on fire.” Or “oh. You do realize Charlotte’s downtown is ringed with extensions of downtown, 10,000+ ppsm. There’s NoDa, SouthEnd, Plaza. Midtown and Elizabeth being the biggest. SouthEnd getting highrjses. Midtown a 20 floor office tower.” Instead of this bizarre assertion that it goes from downtown Charlotte to... nothing? Asserting to me there’s only 5 buildings in Charlotte U/C according to the interwebz. Um. Maybe only 5 above 400’.

Lots of cities are on fire. Ask anyone. Ask people from even NYC, DC and Chicago... it’s night and day from 10 years ago. Same for Charlotte. Same for Austin. Same for Nashville. Same for lots of cities.

But to get back on to subject because I’m not interested in Charlotte vs. Nashville at all, that and Charlotte shouldn’t even be relevant in this thread as it wasn’t even one of the top 20 finalist...

This is going to be super amazing for Washington. It’s just what Crystal City needed. The best benefit will be mass transit in my opinion and the most tangible. But it’s going to be great to have a thriving Crystal City as Arlington is a great asset for DC residents. I love hopping on metro to Fashion Center.

Interwebz huh? lol. Still spouting false assumptions with no proof or evidence. As if emporis is biased towards Nashville lol. What I posted for Nashville are buildings 'currently' under construction, not recently completed last year or five years ago with your claims of Charlotte. Heck, if I included what was recently completed last year for Nashville, the list would be much... longer. But I guess emporis doesn't like Charlotte cause their not posting the supposed dozens of shorter high rises currently under construction, just the tall ones according to you lol..

It's cool you're proud of your city's growth but when you let your homerism blind you to facts it just makes you look foolish.

Here's the proof, not assumptions or feelings.

(Scroll to bottom)
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...17104&page=163

https://www.emporis.com/city/101337/nashville-tn-usa

Last edited by jkc2j; 01-02-2019 at 08:32 PM..

Old 01-02-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Here's Nashville's population growth in 500 square miles, by year:

2010-2011: +7,407
2011-2012: +13,323
2012-2013: +10,173
2013-2014: +10,248
2014-2015: +11,012
2015-2016: +7,800
2016-2017: +2,798

Those numbers don't scream boom town to me, especially in a city of 1,300 people per square mile, with ample space to expand. Atlanta's posting better numbers in its city proper of 133 square miles.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. Nashville has a consolidated city-county government, which about a third of the land is very hilly and rugged terrain(called the Highland Rim) which makes development difficult in some areas. What you're left with is a lot.. of empty park and farmland within Davidson County being included with Nashville's numbers which can drag the density numbers down. Also the population growth is fixed for the core county since it can't annex any more land to boost its population growth numbers like other central cities.

What this means is there is not a lot of available land to continue to sprawl in Davidson County which in turn drives real estate prices up and a lot of lower to mid income families are choosing to move to the flatter surrounding counties(In particular, Rutherford, Wilson, Williamson and Sumner counties) due to lower cost of living rather than the central county. Wealthier people, millennials and empty nesters are in turn moving back into the central city causing the development frenzy in the core neighborhoods currently happening.

(The areas in grey are the very rugged terrain)
https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...29GNX1tsHgQS5M

(A view of about only 8 miles southwest of downtown Nashville)
https://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...ctures-29.html

Last edited by jkc2j; 01-02-2019 at 09:27 PM..

Old 01-02-2019, 10:39 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,734,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges here. Nashville has a consolidated city-county government, which about a third of the land is very hilly and rugged terrain(called the Highland Rim) which makes development difficult in some areas. What you're left with is a lot.. of empty park and farmland within Davidson County being included with Nashville's numbers which can drag the density numbers down. Also the population growth is fixed for the core county since it can't annex any more land to boost its population growth numbers like other central cities.

What this means is there is not a lot of available land to continue to sprawl in Davidson County which in turn drives real estate prices up and a lot of lower to mid income families are choosing to move to the flatter surrounding counties(In particular, Rutherford, Wilson, Williamson and Sumner counties) due to lower cost of living rather than the central county. Wealthier people, millennials and empty nesters are in turn moving back into the central city causing the development frenzy in the core neighborhoods currently happening.

(The areas in grey are the very rugged terrain)
https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...29GNX1tsHgQS5M

(A view of about only 8 miles southwest of downtown Nashville)
https://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...ctures-29.html
That is mostly correct, and the most expensive areas are definitely in the city, but low to mid income families aren’t moving to Williamson County. It’s one of the wealthiest counties in the country, I believe it was 7th wealthiest in the latest national rankings.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:37 AM

10 posts, read 4,735 times
I don't know much about the other cities, but I am very excited about Amazon coming to the Nashville Yards. Nashville is booming, and I can't wait to see our town grow even more! We have needed high paying jobs, and I am glad more wealth is coming to our town. Nashville Yards looks like it will be awesome. Vanderbilt and Amazon will also be able to sustain a great relationship.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:14 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,401,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
So is there a lot of buzz over HQ2 there? I'm sure there is in Nashville, but I surmised DC and NYC would take a more business as usual attitude over it because so much is going on there anyway.
In Washington, there seems to be buzz. Local media stories still coming out on upgrades to crystal city, the history of the area, etc. Projets that locals wanted (2nd entrance to Potomac Yards metro, the pedestrian bridge to National Airport, etc.) are getting the most attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
Interwebz huh? lol. Still spouting false assumptions with no proof or evidence. As if emporis is biased towards Nashville lol. What I posted for Nashville are buildings 'currently' under construction, not recently completed last year or five years ago with your claims of Charlotte. Heck, if I included what was recently completed last year for Nashville, the list would be much... longer. But I guess emporis doesn't like Charlotte cause their not posting the supposed dozens of shorter high rises currently under construction, just the tall ones according to you lol..

It's cool you're proud of your city's growth but when you let your homerism blind you to facts it just makes you look foolish.

Here's the proof, not assumptions or feelings.

(Scroll to bottom)
NASHVILLE | Development Showcase - Page 163 - SkyscraperPage Forum

https://www.emporis.com/city/101337/nashville-tn-usa

Emporis isn’t up to date about Charlotte. I don’t think it has anything to do with bias because I don’t think anyone cares about Charlotte vs. Nashville. They’re very different.

The very own downtown Nashville report shows uptown Charlotte adding more people than downtown Nashville 2016-2018. How do you surmise that happens? Magic? Homelessness? I think also in units too. Definitely more office. Nashville more hotel.

https://www.nashvilledowntown.com/_f...al-report-.pdf

Which let’s remember how Charlotte got brought up in this. A Nashville poster said Nashville was more dense than Charlotte. I’m not sure Charlotte should be a benchmark for density but... That’s not true on the county level. On the city level. In the central city area. In the downtown area. In no area is Nashville more dense.

It’ not me boosting Charlotte. I’m not the one linking to post and skyscrapers and this and that. I post on my phone on the metro. Not sure if you know how great signal is in subway tunnels... the numbers should speak for themselves. The number of units u/c. The hotels u/c. Office space u/c.... Your little Nashville report shows the numbers.

It’s simply saying.... Nashville’s growth seems to be on par with plenty of booming cities. You don’t need to exaggerate. It’s no different than your very own neighbors of Atlanta, Charlotte and Raleigh...

Old 01-03-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
In Washington, there seems to be buzz. Local media stories still coming out on upgrades to crystal city, the history of the area, etc. Projets that locals wanted (2nd entrance to Potomac Yards metro, the pedestrian bridge to National Airport, etc.) are getting the most attention.

Emporis isn’t up to date about Charlotte. I don’t think it has anything to do with bias because I don’t think anyone cares about Charlotte vs. Nashville. They’re very different.

The very own downtown Nashville report shows uptown Charlotte adding more people than downtown Nashville 2016-2018. How do you surmise that happens? Magic? Homelessness? I think also in units too. Definitely more office. Nashville more hotel.

https://www.nashvilledowntown.com/_f...al-report-.pdf

Which let’s remember how Charlotte got brought up in this. A Nashville poster said Nashville was more dense than Charlotte. I’m not sure Charlotte should be a benchmark for density but... That’s not true on the county level. On the city level. In the central city area. In the downtown area. In no area is Nashville more dense.

It’ not me boosting Charlotte. I’m not the one linking to post and skyscrapers and this and that. I post on my phone on the metro. Not sure if you know how great signal is in subway tunnels... the numbers should speak for themselves. The number of units u/c. The hotels u/c. Office space u/c.... Your little Nashville report shows the numbers.

It’s simply saying.... Nashville’s growth seems to be on par with plenty of booming cities. You don’t need to exaggerate. It’s no different than your very own neighbors of Atlanta, Charlotte and Raleigh...

Ok bro lol. Actually, the poster metroboi brought up Charlotte in this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...irginia-2.html

I'm not trying to turn this into a Charlotte vs. Nashville debate but when posters like yourself post assumptions rather than facts you'll get called out.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:19 AM

23,483 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Local excitement-shaming doesn't win you any reps here. Minimizing Amazon's announcement does not help your argument. Nashville has many other things going, and you would know that since you are a loyal follower our local media.
'Excitement-Shaming' Add that one to the revised lexicon for 2019.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:55 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,949,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Girl, please! You have got to be kidding with this 'excitement-shaming' claim?!?!

Look, I love Nashville and think it's a great place. I'm excited for the growth and development, because it's good for the region. Nashville has always had great bones in a beautiful setting. I feel the same way about Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Tampa, etc.

My response was to QuinMill claiming that the Amazon news is a non-issue there, which is far from the reality on the ground.

He has become completely dismissive of Charlotte and Atlanta recently, and has convinced himself that Nashville has suddenly been catapulted into the premier Metro between D.C. and Texas. It's ridiculous, and deserves to be challenged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City