Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Salt Lake City vs Sacramento
Salt Lake City 40 49.38%
Sacramento 41 50.62%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 10:46 AM

4,401 posts, read 4,295,321 times

Advertisements

I've always felt that Sacramento was an incredibly underrated city. However I recently visited Salt Lake City and was blown away by it. I'm wondering which is the best overall?

1. Downtown
2. Walkability
3. Scenery
4. Economy
5. Transportation Car and public
6. Housing
7. Suburbs
8. Food
9. Nightlife
10. Culture
11. Weather
12. Where would you rather live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 11:41 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,522,132 times
1. Downtown - SLC
2. Walkability - SLC
3. Scenery - SLC
4. Economy - Close, but SLC
5. Transportation Car and public - SLC
6. Housing - SLC
7. Suburbs - tie
8. Food - Don't know
9. Nightlife - SAC
10. Culture - In terms of the arts SLC, in terms of different people SAC
11. Weather - Personally, SCL
12. Where would you rather live? SLC

Old 12-12-2018, 11:59 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,643,904 times
I absolutely hate everything about Salt Lake City, but Sacramento is one of my favorite cities! I really like the midtown area....lots of good restaurants, bars, shops, etc..

Old 12-12-2018, 12:42 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,706,247 times
1. Downtown - SLC
2. Walkability - Sacramento
3. Scenery - SLC
4. Economy - Sacramento has a larger GDP
5. Transportation Car and public - SLC
6. Housing - Tie?
7. Suburbs - Tie
8. Food - Sacramento
9. Nightlife - Sacramento
10. Culture - Sacramento
11. Weather - Sacramento
12. Where would you rather live? - Probably Sacramento, but I think SLC would be a great place to live as well. I’d rather visit SLC though

Old 12-12-2018, 01:36 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
Sacramento has a much more lively and walkable downtown compared to downtown SLC. Downtown SLC is dominated by a huge mall that sucks the life out of the street level engagement in the rest of the downtown area.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:11 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,189,207 times
Since 'Neither' isn't an option, I'll take 'Anywhere except California'.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:48 PM

422 posts, read 397,163 times
1. Downtown--Toss up
2. Walkability--Sac
3. Scenery--Immediate SLC, although Sac has nice surroundings.
4. Economy-Sac
5. Transportation Car and public--SLC
6. Housing-Tie
7. Suburbs-Sac
8. Food-Sac
9. Nightlife-Sac
10. Culture-Sac
11. Weather-Sac
12. Where would you rather live? SAC TOWN BABY

Old 12-12-2018, 06:15 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,865,359 times
I have been to Sacramento several times and Salt Lake City many times and Salt Lake City is my favorite.

I don't like cold weather at all but Salt Lake City has much friendlier people in my opinion, much more interesting, great infrastructure and great neighborhoods with many historic buildings and lots of main streets throughout the city with lots of interesting businesses.

Sacramento was much cleaner then I thought it would be and it certainly tends to be rather lush with lots of trees but the population just wasn't friendly.]

Sacramento seems like it would be a very difficult place to meet people compared to Salt Lake.

Salt Lake City just seems like a more much happy and unique city than Sacramento.

Downtown: Salt Lake City

Salt Lake City downtown is just much more interesting and active in my opinion mainly because of the vibrant neighborhoods, tourists and university in close proximity.

Downtown Sacramento has a surprisingly clean downtown but it wasn't very vibrant. It also has some pretty pressing social issues going on and didn't seem safe.

Walkability: Salt Lake City

Scenery: Salt Lake City

Salt Lake City has the most dramatic mountain backdrop of any big metro area in America in my opinion. The city also has lots of very history areas that are interesting to walk through like the Avenues,.

Sacramento is rather lush with the trees but it is rather flat and I didn't notice mountain views.

Economy: Salt Lake City

Salt Lake employment growth:

https://www.bls.gov/regions/mountain...kecity_msa.htm

Sacramento employment growth

https://www.bls.gov/regions/west/ca_sacramento_msa.htm

Transportation: Salt Lake City

Salt Lake City has excellent infrastructure, comprehensive bus, light rail and commuter rail system.

Sacramento has an expensive, limited bus system with a very limited light rail system

Housing: Sacramento

Sacramento seems to have a decent supply of housing and the prices are much lower than other major metropolitan areas out West. The city has lots of reasonable somewhat older neighborhoods with small homes that are affordable.

Salt Lake City has a huge housing shortage, has for a long time. Vacancy rates are very low for apartments. While they do have some relatively affordable suburbs like West Valley City and Taylorsville, the older historic areas like the Avenues are very pricey.

Suburbs: Tie

Sacramento's eastern suburbs are in the foothills. Salt Lake City suburbs tend to more of a mix.

Weather: Sacramento by far

Sacramento has wet, very cool winters. High temperatures in the 50s, sometimes cooler with lows in the 30s.

Sacramento has very hot summer days with highs in the 90s and sometimes heat-waves that send it over 100 but they have delta freezes and low humidity that cool it off drastically.

Salt Lake City has very cold and cloudy winters without relief. Tends to be in the 30s during the day and 20s at night.

Salt Lake City also has very hot summers in the low and mid 90s during the day and it doesn't tend to cool off as much as night as Sacramento either.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:26 PM

229 posts, read 217,721 times
Never been to Sacramento but I love living in SLC.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:15 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
Sac, largely because SLC on a regional level, is far too much culture shock for me. Watered down booze, conservative population, hard core religious types, it's just not my cup of tea.

That being said, they are both in the same league as far as cities go. And the differences are largely superficial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City