Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which island is your favorite?
Hawai'i (The Big Island) 13 33.33%
Maui (The Valley Isle) 16 41.03%
O'ahu (The Gathering Place) 10 25.64%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 03:22 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,953,408 times

Advertisements

Never been to the big island, but I take Maui easily over Oahu as I've spent time in both. At least for what I enjoyed. Less people on Maui, but for me - better. I am a city person, but love beaches too. I get bored when nobody's around (except in British Virgin Islands) but there's enough people in Maui where it's not an issue.

Honolulu is not a bad city but I didn't like it as much as expected. Maui was more interesting on the other hand than I imagined. I like how there's different areas of the island with kind of different subcultures in a way and even different weather. I don't like the beaches too much in them compared to where I've been in the Caribbean, but the way of life, culture, etc - definitely Maui for this. I hear Big Island is awesome too, but can't judge since I've never been to that specific island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 06:01 PM

3,173 posts, read 2,062,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Never been to the big island, but I take Maui easily over Oahu as I've spent time in both. At least for what I enjoyed. Less people on Maui, but for me - better. I am a city person, but love beaches too. I get bored when nobody's around (except in British Virgin Islands) but there's enough people in Maui where it's not an issue.

Honolulu is not a bad city but I didn't like it as much as expected. Maui was more interesting on the other hand than I imagined. I like how there's different areas of the island with kind of different subcultures in a way and even different weather. I don't like the beaches too much in them compared to where I've been in the Caribbean, but the way of life, culture, etc - definitely Maui for this. I hear Big Island is awesome too, but can't judge since I've never been to that specific island.
I liked Maui better too, at least when compared with Oahu and the Big Island. But my favorite is Kauai which unfortunately didn't make this poll.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:26 AM

1,122 posts, read 927,393 times
Honolua Bay + Jaws + 7 or 8 wonderful secret spots than can get you in trouble with the Boys if you say 'em vs

Makaha, Avalanche, Haleiwa, Himalaya's, Lani's, Rockpile (Hawaii 5-0 wave), Jocko's, Chuns, Aligator's, Outside Aligators, Waimea Bay, Log Cabins, Outside Logs, Off-the-Wall, 1st, 2nd, 3rd Reef Pipe, Pupukea, Gas Chambers, Rocky's, Phantom's & Revelation, Sunset, Backyards, Freddy's & Velzyland, and South Shore....

+ more options, fun stories, & generally bad manners at Kammies for your added enjoyment.

Outside Logs on that Day.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtPd-YL0oIs

Old 02-01-2019, 05:56 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,461,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Oahu has too much concrete and traffic. That's not what I want to go to Hawaii for.
Unless you're trying to experience Hawaii Five-O. Honolulu is very exciting (maybe too exciting for Hawaii!).

Quote:
Also honorable mention to the Big Island, roughly the same size of Connecticut, it has an incredible amount of biodiversity and varied topography from black lava rock deserts to lush rain forests with fern grottos and impressive waterfalls.
The Big Island is my favorite (probably because Hilo was the first stop on my cruise) because of those things that were just mentioned. Kauai is also stunning and verdant. Maui was just a big rock, but Lahaina is a lovely walkable town.

If I were to fly and stay on land on my next visit it will be in Honolulu. Didn't like Downtown though, but this time I want to stay at a hotel overlooking Waikiki. Hilton's Hawaiian Village is actually my prime choice because of the famous Rainbow Tower. The close proximity of Ala Moana mall (would love to see Bloomingdales--Hawaiian style!) and Kalakaua Ave, the Rodeo Drive of Hawaii, in front of the resort, is a convenient stroll.

I would like to Pearl Harbor and the North Shore, further afield. The tour bus stopped at the Pali Lookout, but I would like to see the North Shore up-close.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:55 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,860,004 times
It’s Kauai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City