Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2019, 09:50 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,404,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
Florida update

Tampa- 19
St Pete- 15
Orlando- 20
Jax- 127 (102 murders 11 unclassified 14 justified)
Orlando Metro sits at 92 though... (I used "filter" to only include the 4 main counties: Lake, Osceola, Seminole, Orange. I guess you could add Polk and Volusia, but I don't consider those to be "Orlando.")

Homicides and unsolved murders in Orlando and Central Florida | Orlando Sentinel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 10:31 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Extreme violence? Even the worst of American cities don't remotely compare to Latin and South American Cities, Africa, the Middle East, Russia, or India. The US isn't even in the top half of murder rates by country, in the world.
This isn’t true at all. No Middle East city that isn’t a war zone has anywhere near the murder rate as U.S cities let alone the worst ones. Even all of Africa is lower than B-more and Saint Louis. Not a single city in the continent with as many dead bodies per capita outside of South Africa. South America you have a point but U.S cities are pretty bad. Lagos for example is comparable to Houston in murder rate. Although metro Lagos is higher than metro Houston. Now if your talking metro areas this is where most U.S cities rate fall significantly. But city wise Saint Louis was the 15th in the world Baltimore was the 23rd. If Jackson was big enough it would be high on that list. San Juan, Detroit and New Orleans are all in the top 50.

You guys have the wrong perception about the rest of the world. Gang violence doesn’t really exist in Africa and the Middle East in the same way it exists in Latin America and the U.S and domestic violence and robberies gone wrong will never reach the same amount of deaths as two Armed groups actively trying to kill each other. Hence their rates are significantly lower. While no one from Port-au-Prince should be afraid to visit the modern lower crime rate NYC, many from other places would be right statistically about murder rates.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:35 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
This isn’t true at all. No Middle East city that isn’t a war zone has anywhere near the murder rate as U.S cities let alone the worst ones. Even all of Africa is lower than B-more and Saint Louis. Not a single city in the continent with as many dead bodies outside of South Africa. South America you have a point but U.S cities are pretty bad. Lagos for example is comparable to Houston in murder rate. Although metro Lagos is higher than the city of Lagos. Now if your talking metro areas this is where most U.S cities rate fall significantly. But city wise Saint Louis was the 15th in the world Baltimore was the 23rd. If Jackson was big enough it would be high on that list. San Juan, Detroit and New Orleans are all in the top 50.

You guys have the wrong perception about the rest of the world. Gang violence doesn’t really exist in Africa and the Middle East in the same way it exists in Latin America and the U.S and domestic violence and robberies gone wrong will never reach the same amount of deaths as two Armed groups actively trying to kill each other. Hence their rates are significantly lower. While no one from Port-at-Prince should be afraid to visit the modern low crime rate NYC, many from other places would be right statistically about murder rates.
ESPECIALLY when compared to other "developed" nations.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:15 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
ESPECIALLY when compared to other "developed" nations.
I think also the way we look at rates makes it look a lot more crazy.

For instance much of the developed world has cities that have murder rates of maybe 1 to 4 per 100,000. In the USA it's more like 2 to 20 per 100,000 (with of course large outliers in both cases).

So you can look and say OMG THE USA IS SEEING RATES UP TO *FIVE* TIMES AS HIGH AS THE REST OF THE WORLD.

Well if you look at the actual amount of murders going on between the populations then the rest of the world sees around 0.002% of the population murdered and the USA seems up to 0.020% murdered.

In both cases the actual chances of getting killed are EXTREMELY small.

People talk about Chicago like you walk around after dark and BOOM you're dead, when in reality every murder is terrible, but for people that live here day in and day out they have a 99.982% chance of NOT getting killed every year.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:12 PM

2,659 posts, read 2,102,720 times
Quote:
This isn’t true at all. No Middle East city that isn’t a war zone has anywhere near the murder rate as U.S cities let alone the worst ones. Even all of Africa is lower than B-more and Saint Louis. Not a single city in the continent with as many dead bodies per capita outside of South Africa. South America you have a point but U.S cities are pretty bad. Lagos for example is comparable to Houston in murder rate. Although metro Lagos is higher than metro Houston. Now if your talking metro areas this is where most U.S cities rate fall significantly. But city wise Saint Louis was the 15th in the world Baltimore was the 23rd. If Jackson was big enough it would be high on that list. San Juan, Detroit and New Orleans are all in the top 50.

You guys have the wrong perception about the rest of the world. Gang violence doesn’t really exist in Africa and the Middle East in the same way it exists in Latin America and the U.S and domestic violence and robberies gone wrong will never reach the same amount of deaths as two Armed groups actively trying to kill each other. Hence their rates are significantly lower. While no one from Port-au-Prince should be afraid to visit the modern lower crime rate NYC, many from other places would be right statistically about murder rates.
Again, Gang violence do exist in some African cities & i wouldn't be surprised for a few middle eastern cities too. Personal disputes outweighs gang violence in the U.S overall. It's similar for some foreign cities as well ( urban poverty).

Old 11-04-2019, 12:36 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,662 times
Default Jacksonville.. justifiable?

Justifiable homicide??? There better be a very good reason if your trying to justify taking someone's life! 14 justifiable homicides?
I think they be justifying them just to cut down on the statistics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
Florida update

Tampa- 19
St Pete- 15
Orlando- 20
Jax- 127 (102 murders 11 unclassified 14 justified)

Old 11-04-2019, 02:16 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Most...? Do you know most us cities are in fact safe right? In here it might seem it is extreme violent because this is a thread about violence but the US is far more than Chicago, B'more...

Most cities homicide rate are in the lower 2/100k...
Extreme violence...

Portland (Or)
San Francisco
San Jose
San Diego
Seattle
Austin
Honolulu
El Paso
Salt lake city
Boise
Virginia beach
Spokane

The media and the internet makes violence seem way bigger than the reality.

The first time I went to Boston, I was scared the hell to go out in the evening fearing I might get shot thanks to the media and internet exaggeration... Well, never had anything happened to me (Brockton).

I was walking alone past midnight in Queens (Jamaica / St Albans) and Brooklyn (Bushwick)... Then I realized that the violence, unless you are involved or live in a very bad area (even then, you will hear and see it but mostly kind of safe if you just live in) you will just read on the news that there were some shooting or anything.

Brockton is a small city but I just read about the violence, never actually saw it and I was not far from the bad place (Warren Avenue).

Only a few cities have extreme violence, the reste are safe and some OK like New York City, L.A (check the homicide map and you will see the west can have miles and miles without a single murder)

Check a part of LA homicide map, ou can clearly see that a good part of the city just does not see a single murder. Far from that "extreme violence"
Given that it's a commonly held sentiment that you hear voiced often, I am not directing this at you or any poster in particular, but I always instinctively do a mental "cough cough" when people talk about gang violence victims in semi-dismissive terms. As if these weren't all humans who are suffering, who don't have family members who mourn them and are traumatized. Also many victims of gang violence aren't gang members themselves: there are countless cases of mistaken identity, stray bullets and people being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Also, in places like Chicago you actually have "mass shootings" all the time but they aren't treated the same in the media and public consciousness as some guy who drives a minivan who goes berserk with an AR-15 at some building in an office park in Marietta, Georgia.

Old 11-04-2019, 02:24 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Again, Gang violence do exist in some African cities & i wouldn't be surprised for a few middle eastern cities too. Personal disputes outweighs gang violence in the U.S overall. It's similar for some foreign cities as well ( urban poverty).
I meant "not in the same way". Hence 90% of middle eastern countries and cities have lower homicide rate than America's homicide rate.
Tehran/Istanbul/Jerusalem/Riyadh/Cairo/Algiers/Casablanca all have relatively low homicide rates compared to their American counterparts. In fact Morocco, Turkey and other countries cities have murder rates as low as Europe. Africa definitely have gangs but they don't get into gang wars like in America/Latin America, so murder rates between gangs are much lower, their also isn't really the same factor of drugs fueling gang wars tot eh same extent. They do exist, for example the city of Port Harcourt where I was born is known to have gang violence but much of violence in the rest of Nigeria is gangs vs. civilians through robberies kidnappings etcetera, so death isn't as common as the Americas and while it's statistically safer it feels more dangerous because gangs target civilians much more than each other.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:20 AM

2,659 posts, read 2,102,720 times
Quote:
I meant "not in the same way". Hence 90% of middle eastern countries and cities have lower homicide rate than America's homicide rate.
Tehran/Istanbul/Jerusalem/Riyadh/Cairo/Algiers/Casablanca all have relatively low homicide rates compared to their American counterparts. In fact Morocco, Turkey and other countries cities have murder rates as low as Europe. Africa definitely have gangs but they don't get into gang wars like in America/Latin America, so murder rates between gangs are much lower, their also isn't really the same factor of drugs fueling gang wars tot eh same extent. They do exist, for example the city of Port Harcourt where I was born is known to have gang violence but much of violence in the rest of Nigeria is gangs vs. civilians through robberies kidnappings etcetera, so death isn't as common as the Americas and while it's statistically safer it feels more dangerous because gangs target civilians much more than each other.
Rates to rates comparison should always be taken lightly due to various factors. Yet, they all share a common occurence; Urban poverty.
Gang conflicts may differ from case to case but it's not overall fuel by drug trade in the U.S. Many people on here don't share in-depth research on gang violence in these type of threads. Drug trade have been a small factor in gang related violence. The same or similar conflicts you could find in Cape Town or Lagos or Istanbull. Gang related homicides is overblown on a macro level in the U.S when personal/domestic violence is the majority of the statistics.

Now for the Latin American cities, primary central american, it's been noted as well that gang violence is partially fuel by drugs & more of territorial protection rackets & bravado. Mexico, Columbia, Peru , & other South American cities mainly deal with DTOs, criminal networks, & militias. The vast proportion of those high homicide rates still resides in urban poverty communities. It's relative safe even in these "dangerous" cities.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:16 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Pittsburgh is now at 31 after a victim who was shot earlier this year just passed away.

10.3/100,000 is our new rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City