Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2019, 03:39 PM

832 posts, read 1,255,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Arlington and Alexandria, VA - almost 500k, 4. And far more racially diverse and densely populated than London, Ont or Windsor. What's your point?
Canada as a whole is not diverse at all... Appart of Toronto metro, and Vancouver (mostly south Asian), Canada is pretty white... Montreal is kind of in the middle with 63% of its population being white (city proper, not the west island nor the suburbs which would reduce the percentage of visible minority drastically).

To take it into perspective, there are more black people in cities :
NYC (+2M)
London (+1M)
Paris metro (+1M)
Dallas-Arlington (~1M)
Houston area (+~ 1M)
L.A county (~900k)
Chicago (+1M)
Philly area (+1M)

More black people in those cities than in the whole Canada.
Only Toronto and Vancouver are really diverse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 03:56 PM

17,210 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Canada as a whole is not diverse at all... Appart of Toronto metro, and Vancouver (mostly south Asian), Canada is pretty white... Montreal is kind of in the middle with 63% of its population being white (city proper, not the west island nor the suburbs which would reduce the percentage of visible minority drastically).

To take it into perspective, there are more black people in cities :
NYC (+2M)
London (+1M)
Paris metro (+1M)
Dallas-Arlington (~1M)
Houston area (+~ 1M)
L.A county (~900k)
Chicago (+1M)
Philly area (+1M)

More black people in those cities than in the whole Canada.
Only Toronto and Vancouver are really diverse
Define "diverse." Black & White aren't the only ethnic groups out there. Maybe that's how we've grown accustomed to defining diversity in the U.S.
If we're to define diversity by foreign background, you'll find that the 3 Canadian cities you mentioned are far more diverse than they appear on surface. The vast majority of blacks in American cities are as American as whites.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:01 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Define "diverse." Black & White aren't the only ethnic groups out there. Maybe that's how we've grown accustomed to defining diversity in the U.S.
If we're to define diversity by foreign background, you'll find that the 3 Canadian cities you mentioned are far more diverse than they appear on surface. The vast majority of blacks in American cities are as American as whites.
I agree with Montreal but Also excluding Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver from Canada is like excluding everyone

Old 12-19-2019, 04:28 PM

17,210 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I agree with Montreal but Also excluding Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver from Canada is like excluding everyone
Yeah, pretty much...

Old 12-19-2019, 04:33 PM

832 posts, read 1,255,786 times
Quote:
I mentioned Vancouver and Toronto... Vancouver barely has any black people correct? But still I mentioned it right? And Toronto only has like 8% black (less than Montreal) but still I mentioned it correct? And for Montreal I said 63% white, I did not say 1% black...
I said that Toronto and Vancouver are very diverse, please read my post. And I said Montreal not so much based on the percentage of the dominant ethnic group.

And the rest, Calgary has some visible minority but the rest... Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Moncton, Victoria... are pretty much white. Even in Montreal, if you leave places like Montreal-Nord, Riviere des prairies, NDG and Cote des neiges, the population is fairly white... You will see some visible minority there and there but not so much (oh and jean talon street, lot of arabs, and Indians around parc station)

You can say city A has many people from all over the world but if they are all from the same place or all the same ethnic group, that place will not be ethnically diverse. Because the original post was about visible minority not citizenship and in Canada, only Vancouver and Toronto have a very large visible minority population, Montreal, not so much especially if you add Laval, Longueuil, Blainville, Terrebonne ect...

Last edited by jayo2k; 12-19-2019 at 04:42 PM..

Old 12-19-2019, 04:42 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post

And the rest, Calgary has some visible minority but the rest... Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Moncton, Victoria... are pretty much white
Winnipeg is not as White as some might think. There is a lot of Asians here. Mostly South Asians and Filipinos. There are a lot of Natives here too. Winnipeg is probably more diverse than Calgary. It's a great city, you should come visit someday.

Why is diversity relevant to a topic about homicides anyways?

Old 12-19-2019, 05:36 PM

293 posts, read 246,048 times
So Canada is less diverse because there are not enough blacks?

What about all the other hundreds of ethnicities existing in the world?

I live in the GTA and sometimes I wonder where did all Caucasian people go.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:55 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,661,232 times
Quote:
OP also forgot to mention that Montreal has 200 ethnic groups and is the most bi-lingual city in N.A. Or that T.O has 230+ ethnic groups and is considered the most diverse city in the world.

Anyways, that's all I'll say, it has nothing to do with the thread anyways. No idea why OP brought it up, unless they wanted to start useless crap.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:08 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,200,624 times
Harvey, IL - 21

33 year old man shot in the head in front of his two children (ages four and five) inside apartment home. Shooting was over drugs. No one in custody.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:42 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,200,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
That's a crazy homicide rate, the highest in the country even. That's almost triple the rate of Flint, MI. According to this article, there were 37 homicides in 2017 in East St. Louis which was a rate of 137 even. In 2018 the number of homicides dropped to 24. Can't imagine what living there must be like, probably listening to the sound of gunfire all night long.
I imagine that is how it is on many days or nights. East St. Louis, like many other cities like it, is a victim of heavy dependence on industrial jobs back in its prime. Once that all dried up, there was little else to replace it and eventually everything collapsed. Also, racial tension that hit the city very early on...

From a little research, the gang presence there is Chicago-based, GDs and Vice Lords primarily. This is contrast to just across the river, St. Louis, which is claimed by Crips and Bloods gangs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City