Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2019, 04:24 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,524,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
What bubble have you been living in?
Prior to my participation in this macabre thread hardly any poster even displayed Jackson's homicide stats. This type of thread is generally clogged VASTLY with Chicago ( especially 2016/17) then Baltimore, St.Louis, New Orleans, Detroit, L.A
& NYC ( overly praised).

Take your disturbed complaint elsewhere
Wow. I don't know if you just neglected to mention Philadelphia or if actually is seen as safer than New York and LA. Must be pretty damn lucky to have a safer reputation than NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 04:56 PM

34 posts, read 29,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Boston, MA - 16 | 2.32 ... wow its starting to pick up.
That’s still ridiculously low. There’s no street action in Boston anymore. There’s cities half the size that have more homicides than Boston has non fatal shootings so far this year.

There is no murder threat in the streets in Boston and never will be again the cops own the hoods there and the real gangstas who are left that are not in jail or dead simply don’t bang out anymore. Only homicides Boston gets is rouge ones. The city will go a month without a homicide it’s crazy. Until Boston sees over a 100 again like the 90’s I don’t want to hear the public officials saying there is a gun violence problem because there’s not anymore. Shootings that do happen are typical city events in every city and when Boston is well below average it’s over doing it to say stop the violence they should be praising they don’t have the problems of other cities.

Btw I’ve been following Boston for about 15 years and it always seems the homicide numbers arnt fully reported there seems to be 20+ a year that are not counted

Old 05-24-2019, 06:35 PM

2,660 posts, read 2,102,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbobsully94 View Post
Wow. I don't know if you just neglected to mention Philadelphia or if actually is seen as safer than New York and LA. Must be pretty damn lucky to have a safer reputation than NY.
No i didn't forget Philly just wanted to keep the rant short.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbobsully94 View Post
NYC had over 1,000 homicides every year from 1969-1996. Never before that 27 year period and never since.
Never before i might take a look back on it
Never since...hopefully so.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:02 AM

222 posts, read 282,122 times
What's the numbers for Dallas, Fort worth and Arlington

Old 05-25-2019, 06:26 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,524,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denlogy View Post
That’s still ridiculously low. There’s no street action in Boston anymore. There’s cities half the size that have more homicides than Boston has non fatal shootings so far this year.

There is no murder threat in the streets in Boston and never will be again the cops own the hoods there and the real gangstas who are left that are not in jail or dead simply don’t bang out anymore. Only homicides Boston gets is rouge ones. The city will go a month without a homicide it’s crazy. Until Boston sees over a 100 again like the 90’s I don’t want to hear the public officials saying there is a gun violence problem because there’s not anymore. Shootings that do happen are typical city events in every city and when Boston is well below average it’s over doing it to say stop the violence they should be praising they don’t have the problems of other cities.

Btw I’ve been following Boston for about 15 years and it always seems the homicide numbers arnt fully reported there seems to be 20+ a year that are not counted
Yeah the thing Boston mayor Walsh says is "One homicide is too many". That slogan will certainly keep murders down. So basically, everytime there's a homicide, there's a gun violence problem.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:55 AM

5,830 posts, read 5,635,141 times
Shooting in Lynnhaven was Virginia Beach's 9th homicide of the year, rate at exactly 2 per 100k right now...

Virginia Beach is currently on pace for ~22-23, which significantly outpaces its average of around 17 annually. Also, Virginia Beach has only had 22 murders twice in the last 30 years, so that figure would be considered high for the city...

The other interesting part of this is that we're nearly in June and The Beach has more murders than Norfolk. I don't know when, if ever, that has been the case in late May of any year. Norfolk still has the slightly higher rate (2.45), but has recorded just 6 homicides this year. That puts Norfolk on pace to finish with about 15 murders this year. That would be an unprecedented low mark in Norfolk, which typically averages ~33/year and hasnt had fewer than 27 murders in year in at least 30 years (as far back as I could research). The track this year is well below that 27 homicide mark; murders would have to increase pretty significantly in the final 7 months of this year just to reach 27...

Given Norfolk's history, even 5 months into the year, it still seems kinda unbelievable for Norfolk to finish with fewer murders than 27 and/or fewer than VB, but we'll see...

Old 05-25-2019, 08:07 AM

242 posts, read 174,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
NYC will always have the reputation for having the highest homicides total & streak ( 26 years of 1,000+ homicides).
1,000 homicides in kinda low for a city of 7-8 million...

That's like Chicago avg 500 plus murders for a city of 3 million... And I don't think NYC seen 500 bodies since the mid 2000's

NYC at it's deadliest was in the early 90's when it hit over 2,000 + homicides for the first time ever.

To rank NYC properly,you would have to pull up the historical homicides for each borough and that'll give you a better idea of how the era was.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:22 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Pittsburgh is now at 11.

Using the newly-released 2018 city population estimate of 301,048, that gives us a new rate of 3.65/100,000.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy310 View Post
1,000 homicides in kinda low for a city of 7-8 million...

That's like Chicago avg 500 plus murders for a city of 3 million... And I don't think NYC seen 500 bodies since the mid 2000's

NYC at it's deadliest was in the early 90's when it hit over 2,000 + homicides for the first time ever.

To rank NYC properly,you would have to pull up the historical homicides for each borough and that'll give you a better idea of how the era was.
NYC was at it's "deadliest " during 69-95. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City