Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2019, 08:56 PM

10 posts, read 6,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
So do you really thinks those gang bangers in Chicago will stay on their corners when it is -20F for 3 months...? When **** pop off, you can not even run because there is way too much snow and ice...? NO... Black people we barely go outside when it is 40F so -20...
Montreal had 7 homicides last winter and 9 last summer. Not much of a seasonal uptick.

Chicago January is 31 degrees and March in Montreal says 37 degrees. There's more homicides in Chicago in a cold January than a whole year in Montreal.

Canada's incarceration rate is nowhere near the US either and I'd wager the average time served in the US is higher than Canada.

Last edited by WholeNotherLevel; 07-04-2019 at 09:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 09:34 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
it is, notice how homicide spike during summer in most US cities?

And also, Chicago winter is mild compare to Canada ones (minus British Columbia).
In Montreal for instance, the coldest month in Chicago is as cold as March in Montreal... Freaking March, so that "harsh crazy winter" of Chicago will be early spring in Montreal... Believe me, Montreal winter is no joke
the average low for the coldest month in Chicago is -7.7C(18.2F) and March in Montreal is -6.5C(20.3F), so on average, 3 months of the year it is colder in Montreal than the coldest month of Chicago, and when I mean colder, I mean very colder... The record low in Chicago is −32F... This is a normal winter temperature in Montreal from December to early March.

Do you know what it is to be like 3 weeks where the temperature never exceed −36F? Do you know what it is 100 straight days with temperatures bellow 20?

So do you really thinks those gang bangers in Chicago will stay on their corners when it is -20F for 3 months...? When **** pop off, you can not even run because there is way too much snow and ice...? NO... Black people we barely go outside when it is 40F so -20...

Another factor is demographic...

PC aside, in those cities, most homicides are African American killings other African Americans since guns are easy to get in the US compared to the rest of the world...

Those 3 cities you mentioned are about 40-60% black and like I said, PC aside, they are the group who commit most murders by a large margin whereas in Montreal, there is fewer black (8%) and also they do not have that gangsta culture because black Canadian have a different background than most black American...

Black Canadian are mostly (by a very large margin) immigrant and just like black immigrant in the US, they commit very few crimes.

This is also a fact to not omit.

And like you said, locking them up also help...
In Chicago the punishment for illegal guns are way too soft, and in some neighbourhood, police do not do their jobs and also the city is soft...

In Canada police also do kill unarmed people and despite the outrage, nothing never happen to them while in Chicago when they do kill an armed male who just hijacked a vehicle, the cop goes to jail so they just back off
When has it been -36f for three weeks straight in Montréal ?????

That is the all time record low for the city. It happened once in 1957.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:04 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
Quote:
Another factor is demographic...

PC aside, in those cities, most homicides are African American killings other African Americans since guns are easy to get in the US compared to the rest of the world...

Those 3 cities you mentioned are about 40-60% black and like I said, PC aside, they are the group who commit most murders by a large margin whereas in Montreal, there is fewer black (8%) and also they do not have that gangsta culture because black Canadian have a different background than most black American...

Black Canadian are mostly (by a very large margin) immigrant and just like black immigrant in the US, they commit very few crimes.
Major factor is poverty and Montreal's Black underworld differs too.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:04 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WholeNotherLevel View Post
Montreal had 7 homicides last winter and 9 last summer. Not much of a seasonal uptick.

Chicago January is 31 degrees and March in Montreal says 37 degrees. There's more homicides in Chicago in a cold January than a whole year in Montreal.

Canada's incarceration rate is nowhere near the US either and I'd wager the average time served in the US is higher than Canada.
You got your number wrong, Montreal in january is -14F, i do not know where you got those 37 from... Bring fact not assumption, 37F in Montreal is in fact APRIL, late march - mid april

And read the rest, i am willing to bait if Chicago winter was as harsh as Montreal, it will have way lower homicides, still will be averaging 2-300 because cold in Montreal is nowhere near Chicago, and the fact that you brought 37F in Montreal show clearly that you are just bringing up numbers without even thinking about doing some basic research on the subject...

And you seem to have completely skipped the second part of my post so read it first then come back later

Quote:
Poverty is not an excuse at all.
Black Canadian especially in Quebec are on average very poor (Canada is great in hiding the systemic racism, its poverty, all its issues so the world kind of idolize Canada but 50% of Immigrant from non African nor Caribbean countries leave within 5 years after immigrating there)
If you study the European immigrant, half of them end up leaving without even taking the citizenship and I am one of them

African American average income is $31,313
Black Canadian average income is $17,400 (or $22,500 Canadian $) Check the third paragraph

This link is a bit old but still hold true today

So black Canadian are in fact poorer than African American (and by a wide margin) yet they do not commit as much crime).

BTW; I am sure most of you will be shocked to learn that black Canadian are that poor and this is due to the fact that Canada is doing a great job in marketing and hiding all its issue whereas American are more "real" resulting in people in Canada without realizing will accept situations they will never accept in their home country.

Ex : I met a french guy at a store (black French), he told me he's been living in Montreal for 10 years, he left France because he only found minimum wage jobs and he deserve more... The guy did not even realize that he was doing a minimum wage job (which is $12.50 in Quebec so about US$9) after 10 years in Montreal... He accepted to do it in Montreal but not in France and did not even realized it...

Old 07-05-2019, 04:21 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
When has it been -36f for three weeks straight in Montréal ?????

That is the all time record low for the city. It happened once in 1957.
December 2017 - January 2018...

Bare in mind that the numbers you see on wikipedia do not take into account the windchill, In fact if you watch the weather in Canada, you will see 2 numbers, the actual temperature and the windchill effect, so when you see -20F in January, it is in reality -35F with windchill and in January 2018, with Windchill it was around -36 for 3 weeks straight and this year was very bad as well...

To take the brute number (without the windchill) it was -22F (-30C and -40F with windchill) for more than 3 weeks straight.

Last winter was just too much for me I decided to leave the country (not the only reason but one of the reasons)

Old 07-05-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
December 2017 - January 2018...

Bare in mind that the numbers you see on wikipedia do not take into account the windchill, In fact if you watch the weather in Canada, you will see 2 numbers, the actual temperature and the windchill effect, so when you see -20F in January, it is in reality -35F with windchill and in January 2018, with Windchill it was around -36 for 3 weeks straight and this year was very bad as well...

To take the brute number (without the windchill) it was -22F (-30C and -40F with windchill) for more than 3 weeks straight.

You seem to have a psychological dérangement when it comes to climate.

Here are the official weather numbers for December 2017 and January 2018 for Montreal. Assuming you trust Environment Canada...

The last few days of December were extremely cold as were the first two or three days of January. This is true.

Rapport de données quotidiennes pour décembre 2017 - Climat - Environnement et Changement climatique Canada

Rapport de données quotidiennes pour janvier 2018 - Climat - Environnement et Changement climatique Canada

But nowhere near six or three weeks straight of -22F temperatures and -30C and -40F windchills as you are alleging.

Last edited by Acajack; 07-05-2019 at 08:06 AM..

Old 07-05-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:

Last winter was just too much for me I decided to leave the country (not the only reason but one of the reasons)

And that's fine. Not every place is made for everyone.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:48 AM

10 posts, read 6,740 times
Quote:
You got your number wrong, Montreal in january is -14F, i do not know where you got those 37 from... Bring fact not assumption, 37F in Montreal is in fact APRIL, late march - mid april

And read the rest, i am willing to bait if Chicago winter was as harsh as Montreal, it will have way lower homicides, still will be averaging 2-300 because cold in Montreal is nowhere near Chicago, and the fact that you brought 37F in Montreal show clearly that you are just bringing up numbers without even thinking about doing some basic research on the subject...

And you seem to have completely skipped the second part of my post so read it first then come back later
Montreal ain't that much colder than Chicago. It ain't no Nuuk vs San Juan boy stop it. In January it's 24F in Montreal vs Chicago 31F. I'll be outside the same amount whether it's 24 or 31 lmao

Last edited by WholeNotherLevel; 07-05-2019 at 08:24 AM..

Old 07-05-2019, 07:50 AM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Some information related to this topic: https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/press/htus8008pr.cfm

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htius.pdf

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...by-the-numbers

Old 07-05-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Montreal has a black population (6-8%) and a number of them are involved in crime, but not sure a black underworld there is a "thing".

If indeed it is a "thing", it pales in comparison to the Italian (mafia) underworld and also the biker gang underworld, the latter being mostly made up of Québécois French Canadians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City