Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2019, 08:19 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,071,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
You got your number wrong, Montreal in january is -14F, i do not know where you got those 37 from... Bring fact not assumption, 37F in Montreal is in fact APRIL, late march - mid april

And read the rest, i am willing to bait if Chicago winter was as harsh as Montreal, it will have way lower homicides, still will be averaging 2-300 because cold in Montreal is nowhere near Chicago, and the fact that you brought 37F in Montreal show clearly that you are just bringing up numbers without even thinking about doing some basic research on the subject...

No, he/she is actually right, and using the same parameters as you but also attempting to clear things up in the mess of apples vs. oranges numbers you're using to try and justify your points.

For example you've compared Chicago's average January high (31F) with Montreal's average 24-hour daily temperature (which is actually 14F, not -14F as you wrote).

Montreal's average high for January is actually 23F, which is the number that should be compared to Chicago's 31F.

Average high for Montreal in April is 53F. In Chicago it's 59F.

Montreal is clearly colder than Chicago. Though they're still very similar climates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 09:05 AM

2,600 posts, read 4,664,321 times
Default Boredatwork

Yall have to move this to the climate change forum. Where the city updates?

Old 07-05-2019, 09:12 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,663,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Yall have to move this to the climate change forum.
What does their discussion have to do with climate change?

Old 07-05-2019, 09:31 AM

832 posts, read 1,256,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You seem to have a psychological dérangement when it comes to climate.

Here are the official weather numbers for December 2017 and January 2018 for Montreal. Assuming you trust Environment Canada...

The last few days of December were extremely cold as were the first two or three days of January. This is true.

Rapport de données quotidiennes pour décembre 2017 - Climat - Environnement et Changement climatique Canada

Rapport de données quotidiennes pour janvier 2018 - Climat - Environnement et Changement climatique Canada

But nowhere near six or three weeks straight of -22F temperatures and -30C and -40F windchills as you are alleging.
Do not have time to argue, I was there, I know... And you seem to want to make things up, nowhere I said 6 weeks, and I also said windshield that only weather network mention but hey, you passed on those to prove your point, I get you... Anyway, no need to argue

Old 07-05-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
No, he/she is actually right, and using the same parameters as you but also attempting to clear things up in the mess of apples vs. oranges numbers you're using to try and justify your points.

For example you've compared Chicago's average January high (31F) with Montreal's average 24-hour daily temperature (which is actually 14F, not -14F as you wrote).

Montreal's average high for January is actually 23F, which is the number that should be compared to Chicago's 31F.

Average high for Montreal in April is 53F. In Chicago it's 59F.

Montreal is clearly colder than Chicago. Though they're still very similar climates.
I compared average low for both

Old 07-05-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Montreal has a black population (6-8%) and a number of them are involved in crime, but not sure a black underworld there is a "thing".

If indeed it is a "thing", it pales in comparison to the Italian (mafia) underworld and also the biker gang underworld, the latter being mostly made up of Québécois French Canadians.
Last time I checked it was around 8 and it is the large city with the most black population regarding to its total population.

there are some street gangs but they do not bother people, they just do their things

Old 07-05-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Do not have time to argue, I was there, I know... And you seem to want to make things up, nowhere I said 6 weeks, and I also said windshield that only weather network mention but hey, you passed on those to prove your point, I get you... Anyway, no need to argue
You were there, you know. Your recollections are more reliable than Environment Canada's advanced meteorological technology...

Old 07-05-2019, 10:31 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,936,751 times
Quote:
it is, notice how homicide spike during summer in most US cities?

And also, Chicago winter is mild compare to Canada ones (minus British Columbia).
I agree, Chicago has the highest number of murders during the 4th of July weekend(which starts right about now actually ...) which is warm and there are many people on the streets. During the harsh, cold periods in winter the number of murders drop a lot because the people involved in crime and their victims tend to stay inside.

Still, Chicago and other cities seem to make up for the low number of homicides in winter during the summer while that does not seem to be the case for Montreal. Locking up the thugs most likely was the largest contributing factor in Montreal's lower number of murders this year.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I agree, Chicago has the highest number of murders during the 4th of July weekend(which starts right about now actually ...) which is warm and there are many people on the streets. During the harsh, cold periods in winter the number of murders drop a lot because the people involved in crime and their victims tend to stay inside.

Still, Chicago and other cities seem to make up for the low number of homicides in winter during the summer while that does not seem to be the case for Montreal. Locking up the thugs most likely was the largest contributing factor in Montreal's lower number of murders this year.
Yes, the police and government here really cracked down hard on the Italian mafia (80s and 90s) and biker gangs (90s and early 2000s).

There has been some concern expressed in the media and by police in recent years about a potential spike in violence as some of these criminals reach the end of their sentences and get released, but so far the spike in crime resulting from that has not materialized.

Old 07-05-2019, 01:09 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,108,853 times
Quote:
Poverty is not an excuse at all.
Black Canadian especially in Quebec are on average very poor (Canada is great in hiding the systemic racism, its poverty, all its issues so the world kind of idolize Canada but 50% of Immigrant from non African nor Caribbean countries leave within 5 years after immigrating there)
If you study the European immigrant, half of them end up leaving without even taking the citizenship and I am one of them

African American average income is $31,313
Black Canadian average income is $17,400 (or $22,500 Canadian $) Check the third paragraph

This link is a bit old but still hold true today

So black Canadian are in fact poorer than African American (and by a wide margin) yet they do not commit as much crime).

BTW; I am sure most of you will be shocked to learn that black Canadian are that poor and this is due to the fact that Canada is doing a great job in marketing and hiding all its issue whereas American are more "real" resulting in people in Canada without realizing will accept situations they will never accept in their home country.

Ex : I met a french guy at a store (black French), he told me he's been living in Montreal for 10 years, he left France because he only found minimum wage jobs and he deserve more... The guy did not even realize that he was doing a minimum wage job (which is $12.50 in Quebec so about US$9) after 10 years in Montreal... He accepted to do it in Montreal but not in France and did not even realized it...
Yes, Poverty is a factor. Chicago Black community poverty compared to Montreal's Black ( Afro-Carribean really) community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City