Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 04:49 AM

832 posts, read 1,256,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Literally every serious study shows that broken windows didn't work. Most studies show that zero tolerance and harsh sentencing don't work either.

NYC never had a serious gang problem, so it didn't and doesn't have turf wars. When the crack epidemic ended, the economy got better and technology took the drug trade off the corners. That, combined with gentrification caused the drop in NYC crime.

Chicago also saw similar declines in violent crime. Seriously, look at Chicago homicides from the 90's compared to today. The reason it hasn't fallen to NYC levels is that it has a SERIOUS gang culture, with rival gangs living in close proximity to each other, walking and using mass transit. Also, it sits 5 miles from Indiana, where the guns flow freely, whereas NYC is surrounded by states with similarly restrictive gun laws.
I was about to say "Maybe the fact that guns are hard to get in NYC and its surrounding region maybe the main factor"... But I read the whole post so...

Lot of people do not understand that making guns harder to get mean most of those who should not get guns will not easily get them...

There is a reason school shooting is way less prevalent in the Northeast than in the south and midwest...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 05:35 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,527,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy310 View Post
Can you imagine if we had the internet in the 80's or early 90's ?

The numbers New Orleans & D.C put up was ridiculous

Than New York in 1990 was off the charts....Alot of cities was bad...

Chicago gets a bad reputation today but 30 years ago the homicides was around 700 - 900 yearly... So it was probably 25 killed in a weekend back than~

I'd say every major city started to get bad with crime from around 1971 and than major cities saw a crime decline in the early 2000's ...

It's just the police and technology in Chicago isn't as strict as NYC yet....

No way do I think we see 700 murders in NYC ever again

And once they clean Chicago up, Detroit & Baltimore is next....

I believe the government is gonna start hiring 24/7 police patrol in certain cities like a military base

Than the next thing is population control and public detention camps.... Trust me things haven't hit the fan yet with all these mass shootings every year
New York City and Philadelphia both had their highest years in 1990. New York had 2245 murders and Philly had 510.

Chicago's highest year was in 1974 with 970 murders, although, 1990 was pretty bad for Chicago as well, with 851 murders.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:15 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,878,847 times
After a very calm start to the year, June marked one of Cincinnati's most violent months of the new millennium.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...10/1584618001/

Things continue to be hot as we trudge through July and Cincinnati is at 34 right now.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:04 AM

4,753 posts, read 2,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
New York City and Philadelphia both had their highest years in 1990. New York had 2245 murders and Philly had 510.

Chicago's highest year was in 1974 with 970 murders, although, 1990 was pretty bad for Chicago as well, with 851 murders.
Wow an average of over 6 a day. Were there days where people didn't get murdered in NYC back in 1990?

Old 07-10-2019, 02:15 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,491 times
Los Angeles County peaked at 2,589 homicides in 1993.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...819-story.html

Additionally, Orange County had 219 homicides in 1993 and if you include San Bernardino area, the LA area for sure had at least 3,000 homicides in 1993.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:39 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,527,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Wow an average of over 6 a day. Were there days where people didn't get murdered in NYC back in 1990?
I wonder. Maybe on an extremely lucky day. I imagine some days saw upwards of 20 murders.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:07 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,110,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
I was about to say "Maybe the fact that guns are hard to get in NYC and its surrounding region maybe the main factor"... But I read the whole post so...

Lot of people do not understand that making guns harder to get mean most of those who should not get guns will not easily get them...

There is a reason school shooting is way less prevalent in the Northeast than in the south and midwest...
Any stats to back it's more prevalent in the South & Midwest than Northeast? I recall that Sandy Hook happened in the Northeast.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:14 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,404,673 times
Quote:

Chicago’s gun laws were some of the strictest in the nation, the problem isn’t just the gunrunners from neighboring states but the rail yards as well. Chicago is the hub for freight trains and breaking into freight trains is big business so with that there are a lot of guns taken from trains.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:04 AM

832 posts, read 1,256,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Any stats to back it's more prevalent in the South & Midwest than Northeast? I recall that Sandy Hook happened in the Northeast.
So you bring 1 instance of a tragedy to dispute a pattern...?
I never speak without any sources whatsoever....

https://rockinst.org/gun-violence/ma...ngs-by-region/

Quote:
These shootings consistently happen in the most populous states, while several states in the New England region have never been home to a mass shooting. Perhaps the solution to this crisis can be found in Maine, New Hampshire, or Rhode Island.
Quote:
Data amassed from 1966 to 2016 show that the western and southern regions of the country have historically seen two-thirds of the mass shootings in the nation.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:37 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,110,624 times
Quote:
So you bring 1 instance of a tragedy to dispute a pattern...?
I never speak without any sources whatsoever....

https://rockinst.org/gun-violence/ma...ngs-by-region/
I wasn't disputing anything just recalling an incident. Also, there's conflicting definitions of mass shootings and possibly different statistics than the link you provided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City