Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 09:58 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,394,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Where is the proof for that?

I am pretty sure its Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...y/homicide.htm

Far from the safest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 10:50 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,523,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Yeah being that Baltimore is in DCs back yard one would think there would be more programs in place to curb the violence.
Baltimore is out of control. It's a literal fuc&ing warzone. I bet some stupid teenagers who think Chicago's the bloodiest city in the milky way galaxy would laugh at that, but out of all US cities over maybe 200,000 people, only St Louis has a higher murder rate. It's pretty evenly tied with Philly for murders for the last few months, and Philly is 2.7 times larger.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Baltimore is out of control. It's a literal fuc&ing warzone. I bet some stupid teenagers who think Chicago's the bloodiest city in the milky way galaxy would laugh at that, but out of all US cities over maybe 200,000 people, only St Louis has a higher murder rate. It's pretty evenly tied with Philly for murders for the last few months, and Philly is 2.7 times larger.
I remember maybe 7 or 8 years ago when I was heavy into online games and this particular person who claimed he was from Miami wanted to just talk trash to me about how Chicago isn’t the “murder capital” (which it isnt) and how Miami is wayyy more hood than Chicago and blah blah blah. Personally Ive never claimed to be “hood” I just happen to live near one, but I just don’t understand the fascination with the loss of life however it may happen. The glorification of death, murder, and mayhem is crazy to me.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:21 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
I remember maybe 7 or 8 years ago when I was heavy into online games and this particular person who claimed he was from Miami wanted to just talk trash to me about how Chicago isn’t the “murder capital” (which it isnt) and how Miami is wayyy more hood than Chicago and blah blah blah. Personally Ive never claimed to be “hood” I just happen to live near one, but I just don’t understand the fascination with the loss of life however it may happen. The glorification of death, murder, and mayhem is crazy to me.
I once knew someone from Detroit who was proud of the fact that his city is violent. He said it meant that people there aren't a bunch of (p-word)s.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:59 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Pittsburgh is now at 21. An off-duty city police officer just passed away today after being shot multiple times in the back while trying to break up a fight in our dangerous Homewood neighborhood over the weekend.

We're now at a rate of 6.98/100,000 using our 2018 estimated population of 301,048.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:22 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Source? All I can find online suggests California as a whole has above average murder and gun crime numbers.

Or are you arguing that if you just ignore all the murders because then it turns out there aren't any murders?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Where is the proof for that?

I am pretty sure its Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure he was being facetious. Thanks to Noids' post, we can see California had the 22nd lowest homicide rate in 2017, so a little better than average. California does really well in the overall firearms death rate, which in addition to homicides includes accidents and suicides. California has the 7th lowest firearm death rate of all states. Posts about gun laws probably belong in the politics forum.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:29 PM

832 posts, read 1,255,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Yeah, the map shown makes California look dangerous, when in reality it's the safest state in the whole United States, which is why they would argue that strict gun control laws work there.
Kind of wrong, California does has one of the lowest gun death in the States but not the safest states, it should be one of the new England states.

And by gun death they include homicides / murders, accident and suicide

Old 07-17-2019, 05:55 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,273 times
Quote:
He's trying to gain street cred from name-dropping the worst hoods in Miami, knowing good and well he probably isn't from any of the hoods in Miami.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I once knew someone from Detroit who was proud of the fact that his city is violent. He said it meant that people there aren't a bunch of (p-word)s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
He's trying to gain street cred from name-dropping the worst hoods in Miami, knowing good and well he probably isn't from any of the hoods in Miami.
There are a lot of mentally ill people in much of these crime ridden neighborhoods and are self medicating without any professional help; a good chunk of these folks committing crimes are sociopaths.

So far in 2019 Chicago has less than 9% success rate in solving homicides so I’m willing to bet there are a lot of repeat offenders, hell let’s just call them serial killers. I personally knew an individual who was responsible for 6 murders on Chicago’s west side and he was later convicted of his 7th. He was a fairly young man too maybe 24 years of age, but his situation got me to thinking about possibilities of other killers that roam these neighborhoods without consequence. I’m sure people from DC remember Wayne Perry, he was responsible for scores of murders throughout the area; in many neighborhoods there are Wayne Perry’s just roaming around waiting on the next opportunity to kill.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:39 AM

2,657 posts, read 2,100,139 times
A recent robbery led to an 63 yo man being shot to death & a death investigation from April is cleared as a homicide.

Jackson, MS- 56 / 33.7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City