Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2019, 01:56 PM

832 posts, read 1,256,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
#8 for Montreal after 12+ people had a brawl.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...reet-1.5219500
there were 20
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 04:31 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,108,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Bro Chicago's Drill scene isn't like any other movement we've ever seen and I know you already know that. We never seen gang banging 15 & 16 year old's killing and dying on some real street sh1t. Chicago started the low budget videos with the whole squad in the living room and in front of the buildings pointing guns, smoking weed and throwing gang signs at the camera. They were dissing dead homies by name and openly rapping about active cases. This wasn't some financed effort to get some gang-bangers on record. After Keef blew up Drill took off when the spotlight was on Chicago and rappers been getting killed and locked up for murder over and over again since 2011. Check the list of rappers either dead or locked up for shootings from 051/STL-EBT/O'Block/600/Tyquan World/TYMB/THF etc. etc. and that's just a few blocks in Woodlawn.

We haven't ever seen rappers go back and forth on popular songs over who caught a head shot and got found face down on what block after who set them up cause of what diss and then interviews get people killed and the interviewers get a greenlight put on 'em. Banging on Wax or any other gansgter rap is entirely different then what Chicago's got going on. Drill influenced the industry heavy though and now everyone is gonna catch them opps lackin and walk up on you with the 50 shot etc. etc.
Obviously your younger than me. All of that is nothing new except SOCIAL MEDIA. . Guys BEEN doing those type of low budget rap videos, weed smoking, etc back in the 90s & 00s before Keef blew up & became the face of something he nor his click coined. Bangers back then did the same and some cases more subliminal with it. Think about all the rappers then that didn't make it to this present. Drill have influence during it's primetime and others are using the same lingo but other regions don't use it.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:03 PM

14,058 posts, read 13,962,553 times
New England No Boston

Hartford, CT 16
Bridgeport, CT 11
Springfield, MA 9
Providence, RI 8
New Haven, CT 6
Brockton, MA 3
Manchester, NH 3
New Britain, CT 2
Lowell, MA 2
Fall River, MA 2
Lynn MA 2
New Bedford 2
Waterbury, CT 2
Worcester, MA 3
Pittsfield, MA 1
Meriden, CT 1
Pawtucket, RI 1
Manchester, NH 3
Fitchburg, MA 1

Last edited by BPt111; 07-21-2019 at 06:29 PM..

Old 07-21-2019, 06:30 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,120 times
Drill rappers have it easier to get publicized with social media now. Most of them got their fame off Youtube. LA gangster rappers didn't have Youtube to post videos for the world to see. And they didn't have that social media beef it was strictly in the streets.

LA was on another level back in the day. LA County peaked at 2,589 homicides. Cook County never came close to that. All of the Chicago metropolitan area never came close to that.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 07-21-2019 at 06:57 PM..

Old 07-21-2019, 06:46 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,404,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
What is going on in DC seriously, a few years back it had 82 for the whole year...
Part of the problem with DC is, unlike a lot of cities, they aren't really trying to get to the root of what's causing the crime spike. The assumption seems to be to just keeping pushing people out and that'll fix the issue but it's only exacerbating the problems.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:50 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,402,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Drill rappers have it easier to get publicized with social media now. Most of them got their fame off Youtube. LA gangster rappers didn't have Youtube to post videos for the world to see. And they didn't have that social media beef it was strictly in the streets.

LA was on another level back in the day. LA County peaked at 2,589 homicides. Cook County never came close to that. All of the Chicago metropolitan area never came close to that.
Indeed but that was the crack era as well; Chicago never truly had a crack epidemic like New York, LA, DC.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:17 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,204,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Indeed but that was the crack era as well; Chicago never truly had a crack epidemic like New York, LA, DC.
What's unique about that is crack in Chicagoland was mostly distributed in certain south suburbs, at least during the late 80s.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 07-21-2019 at 07:32 PM..

Old 07-21-2019, 07:31 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,204,814 times
A key difference between Chicago drill and LA gangsta rap in the 90s is the former is a whole lot "animated" regarding who they are dissing and a lot of gun pointing at the camera. The more underground the rapper, the more gritty the lyrics and videos. When you look at LA Crips and Blood rappers of today, you don't really see the gun totting and dissing other sets is virtually nonexistent. It has to due with being a gang member in the public in LA has become nearly illegal, but also partly because LA gangsters just seem more chill(although in reality there are a lot of intergang beefs between Crips and Bloods) and "mature", so to say. It's like Chicago and LA have switched places as far as which city has the more wild gangs.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:23 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,357,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Part of the problem with DC is, unlike a lot of cities, they aren't really trying to get to the root of what's causing the crime spike. The assumption seems to be to just keeping pushing people out and that'll fix the issue but it's only exacerbating the problems.
Something I found shocking about DC. I know a lot of people who live there (younger), most come from small towns in the midwest and DC is their first "big" city experience and most I talk to have (or had) zero idea of the crime problems and cost of living problems plaguing so much of the city.

I find it odd and out of touch that people would not realize the issues going on in their own city, whether you care or deny is one thing, but to be totally clueless about the dark history of crime, poverty, drugs and race relations is sort of an incompetent citizen to me...

Almost everyone I know in Philadelphia, Chicago, Baltimore, San Fran and some other cities are well aware of the crime, drug, poverty, homelessness issues, some care some don't, but something is off with DC...

Old 07-22-2019, 07:54 AM

3,548 posts, read 2,341,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Something I found shocking about DC. I know a lot of people who live there (younger), most come from small towns in the midwest and DC is their first "big" city experience and most I talk to have (or had) zero idea of the crime problems and cost of living problems plaguing so much of the city.

I find it odd and out of touch that people would not realize the issues going on in their own city, whether you care or deny is one thing, but to be totally clueless about the dark history of crime, poverty, drugs and race relations is sort of an incompetent citizen to me...

Almost everyone I know in Philadelphia, Chicago, Baltimore, San Fran and some other cities are well aware of the crime, drug, poverty, homelessness issues, some care some don't, but something is off with DC...
DC's "solution" is simply trying to gentrify the crime out ex. being Navy Yards

Once you go east across the river it's a completely different world. South East is pretty much a forgotten wasteland compared to the urban core, hell I wouldn't be surprised if most of the new transplant residents have even been east of the Anacostia River... and DC would like to keep it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City